Windows 10: Access denied to entire HDD

Discus and support Access denied to entire HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled windows on a new SSD, but still have my old HDD attached for storage purposes. Once I formatted the old HDD I no longer have any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chimmyshibbs, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Access denied to entire HDD

I recently reinstalled windows on a new SSD, but still have my old HDD attached for storage purposes. Once I formatted the old HDD I no longer have any permissions with it despite being the sole user and administrator on the computer. I have tried changing ownership like many suggest, but I am locked out from that option as it just takes me to the same screen with all the options "greyed" out. I cannot install anything to the drive or add folders. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have tried changing all the security options suggested and visited many different sites to no avail.

:)

Chimmyshibbs, Mar 3, 2019
  2. David_440 Win User

Permissions: External HDD Access Denied

Ok I managed to do both steps successfully, but this problem has returned.

I had access to the drive and while copying my files over, it eventually said the drive copying from, does not exist. When I went back to "This PC" I saw my harddrive has reverted back and since then had no access.

I have disconnected the HDD, and on occasion Windows cannot disconnect "due to being in use by other programs" , when all windows/programs relating to the harddrive is closed.

Going back to Command Prompt and re-doing these steps yields: "Error: Access denied".

Is this some kind of virus?

And will it be sorted out if I eventually format the harddrive?

David_440, Mar 3, 2019
  3. HDD on router "access denied" problem

Hi,

I have a HDD attached to my router. It was working fine both uploading and downloading files.

For some reason it has recently started saying;

"destination folder access denied" "you need permission to perform this action".

This only affects uploading files - I can download fine.

I've tried going through the 'access' settings options (right click on folder, go to security etc) but that does not do anything to allow access.

I've tried looking at the router settings but nothing has changed as far as I can see.

Any suggestions that I can try please?

Thanks

reviloydna, Mar 3, 2019
  4. EsMj Win User

Access denied to entire HDD

Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

EsMj, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

Access denied to entire HDD

1. Access denied to entire HDD - Similar Threads - Access denied entire

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  4. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access is denied: I try to get on Fox news website and I get a "access is denied" . how do I fix it? HP laptop w/win 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-is-denied/4cdbc5fa-1e6b-42a6-aa48-1a36f8945e67
  6. access denied to external hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to external hdd: I have an HP desktop with a ssd for a boot drive and I have been using an external hdd as my write to drive. An update caused BSOD and I had to do a fresh install of win 10, now I get the access denied 0x80070005 code when I try to change where new content is saved. All...
  7. Write access denied on External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write access denied on External HDD: When I try to copy anything to my WD passport external HDD, it says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" and when I click continue, it just asks me to try again. But this does not happen when I boot in safe mode. Here's what I've tried so far:...
  8. Access Denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access Denied: I tried to turn on Windows Developer mode and it says "Access Denied". Can I get some help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied/cb69b709-417b-4627-bf8b-c0afe456548a
  9. Access Denied

Access Denied: Until a week or so ago I was able to go to the Argos website, but now I am refused with an Access Denied message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied/ca707c4d-a849-4099-8df1-dbd15ebbeb6d
  10. Access denied to external hdd since updates installed

Access denied to external hdd since updates installed: My issue is basically the same as some old posts and I have tried all suggestions with no luck. I am running Win 10 recently updated with a Western Digital external T2 hdd. My explorer view sees the drive on my network, however access is denied telling me to see my...