Windows 10: Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive!

Discus and support Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am having an issue recently where numerous folders and/or sub-folders on my c: drive will not allow access when I try to open them in Explorer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wrench58, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Wrench58 Win User

Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive!

Hi,

I am having an issue recently where numerous folders and/or sub-folders on my c: drive will not allow access when I try to open them in Explorer. I get the following error:

Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive! 61dc3cf1-8cbe-41d0-ba62-e7b1530b31c9?upload=true.jpg

There are other folders that generate the same error, including several in the "Users" folder.

FYI, I am logged on as the Administrator.

Also FYI, I think this started after I signed up for a Microsoft account to the some support. Side note, when I log into Microsoft.com, it says I have 2 different accounts under the same email. Can't imagine how I did that, but may have something to do with what is going on...

I have tried a few things:

- I tried to change the Owner, but I am already the owner and it shows all the permissions to read and modify, but they are greyed out in the Security tab in Properties.

- I did change the owner to a second log in that I created, which I also assigned as an Administrator. Then logged in as that user; same result although, some of the folders are hidden and can't even been seen or unhidden!

I first noticed this when I was trying to install an older app that was trying to write a files to the "My Documents" folder in "Users" as part of it's install process and I got the initial error. While I have a work around for that app, eventually this will stop me for something so I would like to get it sorted. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

Wrench58, Jan 19, 2021

2. Access denied on my C drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory
      Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    • Click Yes.
    • Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.
    Also suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    c-drive not accessible, access denied

Hi,

To better understand the issue, we'd like to get the following information:

• How are you trying to access (CAccess Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive! :) Drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • If possible, kindly send us a screenshot of the complete error message you're getting.

Looking forward to your response.

Paola Gar, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive!

Access to C drive is denied

Access to C drive is denied, Cannot take ownership, right clicking on it freezes the laptop for 15 sec and access denied message pops up

Pop-SeicheGabriel-Mario, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive!

1. Access Denied to Numerous Folders on c: drive! - Similar Threads - Access Denied Numerous

2. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  3. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  4. C:\ drive access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ drive access denied: I can't open the C:\ drive, this is after auto repair of the laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-access-denied/e50b6564-56dd-40d6-934c-3a5a1e394e3a
  5. My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied: My little brother was on my PC, and I guess he fucked around with my administrator settings, now I can't access my c drive. I tried to make another account, didn't work. I would try to open something like a task manager, and it would say windows couldn't access it. If I tried...
  6. Access to C drive is denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to C drive is denied: Access to C drive is denied, Cannot take ownership, right clicking on it freezes the laptop for 15 sec and access denied message pops up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-c-drive-is-denied/e8ce725f-eb6a-4dd6-b9e9-b3871e097ae2
  7. Access to Drive C: denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Drive C: denied: I run Windows 10 and seem to have mistakenly changed some security settings which has resulted in me being denied access to drive C unable to run programs such as MS office apps. Oddly, there are some programs that still works though. After trying most of what I have found...
  8. Access local C: drive denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access local C: drive denied: Can;t acces my local C Drive says I'm restricted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-local-c-drive-denied/3ba21f71-5a38-4c55-8a1c-29f7db858c52
  9. C drive access denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive access denied: I was trying to keep my 120 gig ssd drive just for windows. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive for the rest. In the process I locked myself out. Anything I try to do I get access denied. I still have admin rights, but its worthless. I cant even trouble shoot. Ive tried 4...
  10. Access to Numerous Sites Denied

in Browsers and Email
    Access to Numerous Sites Denied: I have Firefox 57.0.2, Windscribe VPN and Malwarebytes Pro on this desktop. I used to be able to click on a link that I know is safe, but now, I cannot. Something is denying me access and I am more or less crippled. I'm a bit tired of this, but I'm not sure who/what is...