Windows 10: Access denied when attempting to write to ESATA drive after updating Windows 10 Enterprise

Discus and support Access denied when attempting to write to ESATA drive after updating Windows 10 Enterprise in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After a very recent under-the-covers update to my Windows 10 OS, I no longer have write access to my ESATA drive. I can execute and read files on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by barbja, Oct 16, 2019.

1. barbja Win User

Access denied when attempting to write to ESATA drive after updating Windows 10 Enterprise

After a very recent under-the-covers update to my Windows 10 OS, I no longer have write access to my ESATA drive. I can execute and read files on the drive; I just can't update or delete them or write new files. I get "Access is denied." when attempting 'write' actions.

I've gone through a lot of troubleshooting articles. Originally the owner of the root folder was set to SYSTEM. I changed it to the Administrators group, selecting 'replace all child object permission entries...' (which ran a really long time).

After that, I checked my effective access to the root folder and it shows green check next to everything. I am member of the Administrators group.

Here is the information from diskpart for the disk and volume:

================================

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> attribute disk

Current Read-only State : No

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

Volume 1 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> attribute volume

Read-only : No

Hidden : No

No Default Drive Letter: No

Shadow Copy : No

This is a quasi-corporately managed workstation if that makes any difference. Last year they pushed out an update that prevented us from writing to USB devices. Could they have figured out how to do the same thing for ESATA drives? With the USB devices though, you can clearly see that they are marked as read-only in the OS.

Or perhaps they've managed to figure out how to prevent you from writing to a drive that that doesn't use bitlocker? All my internal drives use bitlocker, but this ESATA drive does not.

I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise, 1903.

:)

barbja, Oct 16, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 16, 2019
  3. PT Bridge Win User
    Deny access to specific users to folders on partitioned drive and external drive on Windows 10 computer

• Since when are you facing the issue?
    Added family user the other day (who by the way don't appear in users list when accessing properties for the

folder{s} attempting to deny access}. Can't deny permissions without cutting all out (including me.)

2. Do you receive any error message?

No error message per say, just can't deny access to the folder There will be two users on the computer - me (also

the administrator) and the new family member addition.

3. Did you make any changes prior to the issue?

Added the user who does not appear as a user when accessing properties for folders, but can access the folders.

Sometimes this Windows 10can be a bear. I also have trouble accessing the computer as administrator only.

Can you help. Saw similar question that has not been answered.

PT Bridge, Oct 16, 2019
  4. groknz Win User

Access denied when attempting to write to ESATA drive after updating Windows 10 Enterprise

Access denied

I have recently got a new pc with windows 10 installed. I have a solid state memory and 2 internal hard drives. I assigned a new folder for applications on my e: drive and proceeded to install mediamonkey to that folder. After having problems I tried to
    uninstall mediamonkey but was unable to because access to that folder is denied. I cannot add or delete any files from this folder. Administrator permissions for the folder show that I should have full control. User permissions do not include write access
    although I obviously had write access at the point I installed mediamonkey. It appears that the system is not recognizing me as an administrator for this folder.

How can I regain access to this folder? Attempts suggested in previous responses to questions on this type of problem have not worked.

groknz, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Access denied when attempting to write to ESATA drive after updating Windows 10 Enterprise - Similar Threads - Access denied attempting

2. Attempting to Re-Enable Windows 10 Update Access Denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Attempting to Re-Enable Windows 10 Update Access Denied: I noticed that I haven't had Windows updates in a bit and I went to check. Under Windows Update on the Setting Panel nothing populates stating "Something went wrong. Try to open Settings later." When I checked under services I found both Windows sys. had been disabled, and...
  3. Attempting to Re-Enable Windows 10 Update Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempting to Re-Enable Windows 10 Update Access Denied: I noticed that I haven't had Windows updates in a bit and I went to check. Under Windows Update on the Setting Panel nothing populates stating "Something went wrong. Try to open Settings later." When I checked under services I found both Windows sys. had been disabled, and...
  4. Attempting to Re-Enable Windows 10 Update Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access denied when attempting to delete folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied when attempting to delete folder: I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, some time ago, and I wanted to delete the Windows.old folder--since I no longer need it.I was stopped by an "access denied" message. And yes, I am in ADMINISTRATOR mode, since I AM the owner of this machine.Really? I'm being denied...
  6. Access denied when attempting to delete folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied when attempting to delete folder: I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, some time ago, and I wanted to delete the Windows.old folder--since I no longer need it.I was stopped by an "access denied" message. And yes, I am in ADMINISTRATOR mode, since I AM the owner of this machine.Really? I'm being denied...
  7. BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.

BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.: Drive D: is a freshly format NTFS drive connected via ESATA to Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.476. When attempting to enable BitLocker on the drive, the message below is displayed. [ATTACH] BitLocker works as expected with the same drive installed internally via...
  8. BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.

BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.: Drive D: is a freshly format NTFS drive connected via ESATA to Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.476. When attempting to enable BitLocker on the drive, the message below is displayed. BitLocker works as expected with the same drive installed internally via SATA....
  9. Access Denied when attempting to contact support or update edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Access Denied when attempting to contact support or update edge: I am getting this message upon clicking any link, TOP of page or Bottom... Overall or Individual... , that would lead to ANY support of SO FAR any microsoft product I have tried. You don't have permission to access "http://support.microsoft.com/windows" on this server....
  10. Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can set a policy that configures whether BitLocker protection is required for a computer to be able to write data to fixed data drives. All fixed data drives that are not BitLocker-protected will be mounted as Read-only. If the [...] This post Deny Write...