Windows 10: Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

Discus and support Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey, just trying to allow my applications to write in certain files, so i changed some security settings, and then clicked apply and boof, it gives me... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by FlailoftheLord, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

Hey, just trying to allow my applications to write in certain files, so i changed some security settings, and then clicked apply and boof, it gives me this...

how tf is it DENYING Me Access!??

Is windows stupid? or am i not really administrator... this is killing me, and my applications cant write or create new files on the C: drive or any sub folders or directories.... can somebody please help!

I've already done a clean restart, install repair thingy... that didn't help.

It shows that for alot of files, just the windows/system ones.. but my programs still cant modify files... because of "Access Denied"

Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive bc788111-5617-4511-86c1-36924984ad59?upload=true.png

Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive 5c753fd4-740c-43a4-ba28-d7d5caf5a6d1?upload=true.png

:)

FlailoftheLord, Oct 31, 2018

2. Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Oct 31, 2018
  3. System Denied Access to C drive

Im very new to Windows and I made a stupid mistake. For some reason I could not access a whole bunch of stuff and I changed the permissions on My C drive so that System was denied all permissions. I did not realise that that would deny me access as well.
    This caused all the guides online and all the posts I have read to become usless. I would really appreciate any help gived to me as I cannot use my PC.

Thanks a Million

HaydenBillings, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

Access denied on my C drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory
      Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    • Click Yes.
    • Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.
    Also suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

1. Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive - Similar Threads - Access Denied changing

2. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  3. C:\ drive access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ drive access denied: I can't open the C:\ drive, this is after auto repair of the laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-access-denied/e50b6564-56dd-40d6-934c-3a5a1e394e3a
  4. My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied: My little brother was on my PC, and I guess he fucked around with my administrator settings, now I can't access my c drive. I tried to make another account, didn't work. I would try to open something like a task manager, and it would say windows couldn't access it. If I tried...
  5. Access to C drive is denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to C drive is denied: Access to C drive is denied, Cannot take ownership, right clicking on it freezes the laptop for 15 sec and access denied message pops up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-c-drive-is-denied/e8ce725f-eb6a-4dd6-b9e9-b3871e097ae2
  6. Access to Drive C: denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Drive C: denied: I run Windows 10 and seem to have mistakenly changed some security settings which has resulted in me being denied access to drive C unable to run programs such as MS office apps. Oddly, there are some programs that still works though. After trying most of what I have found...
  7. C:/ access denied Local Disc C read permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    C:/ access denied Local Disc C read permission: Hello I really need your help on this I tried different methods but didn't help me to solve this hardest issue that I have ever had before Let me explain step by step I din't know it would be this hard but it all started when I denied read access from Local Disc C, I...
  8. Local disc C is not accessible Denied cmd, denied read permission change in security...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local disc C is not accessible Denied cmd, denied read permission change in security...: Hello Windows Family I enabled deny read permission on local disc C I thought it was the same as other discs when disabling but it cannot even be disabled. I am so mad now I've been trying different tricks but still cannot resolve the issue. I cannot even reset my...
  9. Access denied local drive after changing permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied local drive after changing permission: Hello I was trying to change access under security tab in properties to my local disk S: However I messed up the process and now I am unable to access the whole drive. I have run chkdsk in cmd after dismounting and it is showing no error. Please note after initiating the...
  10. C drive access denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive access denied: I was trying to keep my 120 gig ssd drive just for windows. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive for the rest. In the process I locked myself out. Anything I try to do I get access denied. I still have admin rights, but its worthless. I cant even trouble shoot. Ive tried 4...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. access denied on clicking on the c drive sub folders

2. access denied while changing c: drive ownership

3. access denied changing permissions on a drive