Windows 10: Access denied while trying to restore folder location

Discus and support Access denied while trying to restore folder location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I created a data partition and used the folder properties to move my Downloads folder to it. Unfortunately, I moved it to the partition location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bum12, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Bum12 Win User

Access denied while trying to restore folder location

So I created a data partition and used the folder properties to move my Downloads folder to it. Unfortunately, I moved it to the partition location instead of a folder within the partition. So I tried to move it to a folder within the partition and it said the path was invalid. I then tried to reset it to the default location, but it is throwing an "Access Denied" error. Is there any way to get it fixed without rolling back my system to a previous date? Also, the original downloads file has disappeared, but I can still download files to it and get to it by clicking the show in folder button or searching for the files in the explorer.

:)

Bum12, Oct 28, 2020
  2. aIex Win User

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

1. copy Documents folder somewhere else
    2. unlink my OneDrive account
    3. log in again
    4. select different OneDrive folder
    5. don't sync anythin (untick all)
    6. restore default location
    7. copy previously copied Documents to default location (it was empty for me, when I did it)
    8. unlink OneDrive
    9. log in and select previous location
    10. (optional) go to OneDrive settings, 2nd tab (automatic saving or something), select that you want your documents to be saved on OneDrive instead of your computer.

3. Jose Est Win User
    Destination Folder Access Denied

Hi,

There are times that you may run into the issue of being unable to open or access or work with files and folder. The common message that flashes on your computer screen when you try doing so reads: "Access Denied."

This can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership may have changed.
    • You do not have the proper permissions.
    • The file may be encrypted.
    • The file may be in use.
    • The file may be corrupt.
    • The user profile may be corrupt.
    To resolve this issue, the first step is to run CHKDSK. It detects and fix disk corruption. To run CHKDSK, follow these steps:

• Press Win+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter your CHKDSK command.
    Get back to us to if you need further assistance.

Jose Est, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

Unable to access a folder, it denies permission

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with permission.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.1. Is the issue specific with a particular folder?

2. What is the complete error message?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Corrupt User Account.

• Damaged files.

I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 1:
    I get an "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Access denied while trying to restore folder location - Similar Threads - Access denied while

2. error "location is not available access is denied" when accessing folders in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error "location is not available access is denied" when accessing folders in the...: At first I tried to use the solutions I got by searching on Google such as Checking "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files. I also followed the first step on this article but nothing worked. Some backstory why I wanna...
  3. error "location is not available access is denied" when accessing folders in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error "location is not available access is denied" when accessing folders in the...: At first I tried to use the solutions I got by searching on Google such as Checking "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files. I also followed the first step on this article but nothing worked. Some backstory why I wanna...
  4. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Denied access when trying to share folder: I am trying to share a folder to another user on the network. I am the admin and I'm logged in, I've gone through all the security settings for the file but when I run the Quickbooks Server it tells me that the file is not shared and that I do not have the appropriate...
  5. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Denied access when trying to share folder: I am trying to share a folder to another user on the network. I am the admin and I'm logged in, I've gone through all the security settings for the file but when I run the Quickbooks Server it tells me that the file is not shared and that I do not have the appropriate...
  6. Trying to locate Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to locate Controlled Folder Access: Hello CommunityI have two apps that are suddenly getting flagged by User Account Control by blocking the Apps. The two 2 apps in question are the free versions of Auslogic's Disk Defrag and Registry Cleaner. I am trying to locate Controlled Folder Access on my Windows 11 Pro...
  7. Trying to locate Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to locate Controlled Folder Access: Hello CommunityI have two apps that are suddenly getting flagged by User Account Control by blocking the Apps. The two 2 apps in question are the free versions of Auslogic's Disk Defrag and Registry Cleaner. I am trying to locate Controlled Folder Access on my Windows 11 Pro...
  8. Access is denied when trying to zip a folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access is denied when trying to zip a folder: Today I noticed that my access is denied when I try and ZIP a folder. I have tried to zip numerous folders in my documents and pictures. I can edit and save files in this location, just not zip them. I have tried checking the properties in the temp folder and I should have...
  9. Location is not available: access is denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location is not available: access is denied: Hi, Switching back to PC from Mac. I just got a new laptop and new window 10 installed. I have this error message not sure how I can fix it. c:\Users\xxxx\Documents\ My Music is not accessible c:\Users\xxxx\Documents\ My Videos is not accessible...
  10. Trying to connect to a shared folder - Access Denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to connect to a shared folder - Access Denied: I have a Workstation with a shared folder and 4 other machines that I need them to access that shared folder. They are all the same machine configured the same way with the same IDs and passwords. 3 of the machines connected fine, but one is getting an access denied message...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Access denied when restoring folder to its original path