Windows 10: Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business

Discus and support Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi Community! I have left my old company and I would like to know if there is a way to access the files I had stored in OneDrive for Business? I can... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by darkM, Apr 18, 2020.

1. darkM Win User

Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business

Hi Community!

I have left my old company and I would like to know if there is a way to access the files I had stored in OneDrive for Business? I can see/explore the files in OneDrive synced and stored on my personal machine but cannot open them due to permission restraints. Are there any tools/suggestions to remove those permissions and open the files without having to contact my old IT?

Windows 10 Pro 1903 64bit

Thanks!

:)

darkM, Apr 18, 2020
  2. Tim923347 Win User

Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business.

I am a researcher and have hundreds of PDF documents stored locally but can't seem to get a good index of them built using native Windows iFilters. Further, I can't seem to get search to index files stored on OneDrive for Business so has to have search (using
    file explorer search dialogue) find these.

What is the future of search for Windows 10?

A little about my set up.

I am a small business with O365 subscription I have a small LAN but don't have any MS servers (like Sharepoint). I store my files on a hard drive/SSD with some (the ones I need multi-device access to) on OD4B. Hope this helps.

Tim923347, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies

On one particular Windows 10 Enterprise 2019H2 (18363) system, on which I recently had to replace a second hard drive (FAccess files cached locally in OneDrive for Business :) on which my entire OneDrive for Business is sync'd locally (option to "Save space and download files as you use them" is UN-checked),
    now Windows search (searching from the Windows Start menu) no longer finds the local copies of files on OneDrive on F:\OneDrive - Organization_Name, but instead ONLY finds those files in the cloud (e.g. OneDrive for Business:\path\to\file.ext).

In the process of replacing the old hard drive, I did the following:

Added the new hard drive to the system (as GAccess files cached locally in OneDrive for Business :)

Unlinked this PC from OneDrive.

Copied everything from F: to G:

Removed the (old) F: drive

Changed the (new) drive's letter from G: to F:

Re-linked this PC to OneDrive, specifying the same file path (F:\OneDrive - Organization_Name)

Waited for OneDrive to re-check everything and report that "All files are in sync".

Windows Search is configured to index the whole computer.

Windows Search shows about 606000 files indexed. The number of files under F:\OneDrive - Organization_Name is about 227000. The number of files on C: is about 45000. So the 606000 or so files indexed by OneDrive seems about right, to include BOTH drives
    C: and F:.

And yet, tapping the Windows key and searching only finds my OneDrive for Business content in the cloud, NOT locally as I want.

I want Windows Search to find my OneDrive for Business content locally FIRST.

How do I return to the previous, desired behavior (which I do still see on other computers)?

(And, why would this have changed due to nothing more than replacing a hard drive?)

thank you.

Jay Libove, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business

Remote access to my (local) server's folders

I am running a simple local fileserver. Windows based.

I would like to access (load, save, modify) what's on this server when I am away on business trips. Laptop -- internet -- router - server

What is the best way to do this? Setup WebDAV or ftp-server or something else? I would prefer direct access, ie. being able to load/save from an application rather than using ftp as a separate step.

Completely Bonkers, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business

1. Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business - Similar Threads - Access files cached

2. Automatic backup local folder to Onedrive business

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic backup local folder to Onedrive business: Hi,I have a Onedrive business account and I want to select my working project folder to backup. I have searched for solution and couldn't get satisfied solution.The backup should automatically sync with Onedrive. There is a folder in C: drive default backup folder and I can...
  3. Automatic backup local folder to Onedrive business

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic backup local folder to Onedrive business: Hi,I have a Onedrive business account and I want to select my working project folder to backup. I have searched for solution and couldn't get satisfied solution.The backup should automatically sync with Onedrive. There is a folder in C: drive default backup folder and I can...
  4. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  5. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  6. OneDrive and local file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and local file: Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them from my laptop's local storage space to free up some space. Is it possible to delete files from my laptop without deleting...
  7. OneDrive and Local Files

OneDrive and Local Files: I cannot seem to stop this. It appears everything under THIS PC Documents, Photos, Music, etc. show both local files and OneDrive files. It gets confusing and sometimes I can't really tell but some save directly to OneDrive. How do I:Have ONLY files that are on the Local disk...
  8. OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive

OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive: Hello. I am trying to repurpose my wife's old all-in-one for our middle schooler. I am trying to copy the files from her OneDrive to an external hard drive. OneDrive went through the whole copy process and didn't copy a single file directly to the external drive. So I...
  9. Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

in Cortana
    Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business: Hello, I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business. I am a researcher and have hundreds of PDF documents stored locally but can't seem to get a good index of them built using native Windows...
  10. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...