Windows 10: Access Google Drive from Windows without copying Google files to PC

Discus and support Access Google Drive from Windows without copying Google files to PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a second portable laptop that is VERY limited in storage: Lenovo Ideapad 100, 32G SSD, no HD. Windows 10 ver 1909. I do not have space to sync... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spthomas, Jan 15, 2021.

1. spthomas Win User

Access Google Drive from Windows without copying Google files to PC

I have a second portable laptop that is VERY limited in storage:
    Lenovo Ideapad 100, 32G SSD, no HD. Windows 10 ver 1909.

I do not have space to sync my laptop to Google Drive and have it make that huge file structure that is a copy of the Google drive. I have that on the PC at home and use it regularly.

For this portable, I just need to be able to easily log in to Google Drive, and download a file or two on demand when I need them. And accessing Google drive through the browser seems a bit more ackward than it should.

When I got this laptop OneDrive was right there in the File Explorer, as a drive, and accesed it directly from there. That's what I want to do with Google Drive.

Can I do that?

:)

spthomas, Jan 15, 2021

2. Google Drive Folder Disappears from Quick Access

Upon installation of Google Backup and Sync, the root Google Drive folder is automatically added to the Quick Access list. However, after a period of a few hours to a few days, the shortcut disappears from Quick Access. It can be manually re-added but always
    disappears shortly thereafter.

I performed a fresh install of Windows on a new machine and encounter the same thing there. I also have Google Drive File Stream installed, which is linked to a separate Google account. The Google Drive File Stream root folder is also pinned to Quick Access
    but does not disappear as the Google Drive folder (from Backup and Sync) does.

I am able to successfully pin folders within Google Drive to Quick Access (for example, the "Projects" folder found at Google Drive > Documents > Projects) and these folders do not disappear from Quick Access; it is only the root Google Drive folder that
    exhibits this problem.

I only have one user account on my machines.

How can I ensure the root Google Drive folder stays in the Quick Access list?

jwildman16, Jan 15, 2021
  3. File Explorer access to Google Drive

I want to have access to my Google Drive from File Explorer. Using Windows 10

Leon Theron, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Google improving search in Google Drive on Android and iOS

Source: Google Workspace Updates: Improving search in Google Drive on Android and iOS

Brink, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Access Google Drive from Windows without copying Google files to PC - Similar Threads - Access Google Drive

2. Cannot copy/cut from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy/cut from google drive folder: I cannot copy/cut from my old google drive folder. If I press ctrl+x or ctrl+c and ctrl+v the files do not get pasted to the destination folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-copycut-from-google-drive-folder/8fe177ad-fac9-446e-913c-af3e18d76c1b
  3. Cannot copy/cut from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot copy/cut from google drive folder: I cannot copy/cut from my old google drive folder. If I press ctrl+x or ctrl+c and ctrl+v the files do not get pasted to the destination folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-copycut-from-google-drive-folder/8fe177ad-fac9-446e-913c-af3e18d76c1b
  4. Cannot copy/cut from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stop Google Drive from pinning drives to Quick Access

Stop Google Drive from pinning drives to Quick Access: Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea how to stop Google Drive from pinning its virtual drives to Quick Access? I am sick of repeatedly unpinning them only to have them reappear every time my computer starts up....
  6. Stop Google Drive from pinning drives to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Google Drive from pinning drives to Quick Access: Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea how to stop Google Drive from pinning its virtual drives to Quick Access? I am sick of repeatedly unpinning them only to have them reappear every time my computer starts up....
  7. Stop Google Drive from pinning drives to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Google Drive Folder Disappears from Quick Access

Google Drive Folder Disappears from Quick Access: Upon installation of Google Backup and Sync, the root Google Drive folder is automatically added to the Quick Access list. However, after a period of a few hours to a few days, the shortcut disappears from Quick Access. It can be manually re-added but always disappears...
  9. accessing google

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    accessing google: How come I get a TLS Security Setting error message when I attemp to log on to Google? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/accessing-google/f5ac823d-f2f3-4223-9575-c201bbd73c04
  10. Attackers can access Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive files without PW.

in Windows 10 News
    Attackers can access Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive files without PW.: Hackers don't even need your password anymore to get access to your cloud data. Newly published research, released at the Black Hat conference in Las Vegas on Wednesday by security firm Imperva, shows how a "man-in-the-cloud" attack can grab cloud-based files -- as well as...