Windows 10: Access .HLP files on legacy programs

Discus and support Access .HLP files on legacy programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I access help files (*.hlp) for old programs - pre Windows 10? I think a method was published earlier but I cannot locate it now.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by IanStewart4, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Access .HLP files on legacy programs

How can I access help files (*.hlp) for old programs - pre Windows 10? I think a method was published earlier but I cannot locate it now.

:)

IanStewart4, Nov 12, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

@andylaode
    The easiest way to solve this problem is to use the XP version of winhlp32.exe.
    If you have the Windows XP installtion disk, you can extract from it or download the attachment below which contains both X86 and X64 version of winhlp32.exe (XP64winhlp32.exe & XP32winhlp32.exe). Use the appropriate version with your Windows 10.

1. Copy XP64winhlp32.exe to C:\Windows or to C:\Windows\system32 if your Windows 10 is 64 bit. else copy XP32winhlp32.exe.
    2. right click on the .hlp file that you want to open->Open with->More Apps then browse to the executable in step one to select it, put a check mark on "Always use ...." as shown below to associate the file type .hlp with this XP version.

Access .HLP files on legacy programs [​IMG]

The original .hlp has an icon as shown:

new association will change to:

To open the .hlp file, simply double click it or open it within the program you are running (Only work if the app is not hardcoded to open with winhlp32.exe)

XPWinhlp32.7z

topgundcp, Nov 12, 2018
  3. .hlp file support

Hello Paul,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that, the Windows Help program which you have mentioned is applicable for Windows 7/8/8.1. As of now there no support for legacy .HLP files in Windows 10. We will inform you when we have any updates.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

Access .HLP files on legacy programs

How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

Microsoft deprecated the old .hlp format over 10 years ago because of security risks.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-of-hlp-files/

I've converted some of my more useful .hlp files to .chm.

The replacement format for help files is the compiled HTMLHelp format (CHM). The look and use of a .chm help file is almost identical to that of the older .hlp files. In fact, the project files (table of contents, images, text etc.) used to compile a .hlp file can easily be converted to a .chm project. From there it's an easy step to recompile the project in .chm format. Microsoft of course don't release the project files for their Help files, but these can be recreated by decompiling the .hlp file. A step-by-step guide including links to the (free) software required is here:

http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info...converting.htm

Thema:

Access .HLP files on legacy programs

1. Access .HLP files on legacy programs - Similar Threads - Access HLP files

2. How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files: Hello,I work a lot with Borland C++ that has a context F1 help system.I know this has been discontinued for security reasons.There are tons of "recipes" to install an XP file on Win 10, but I tried many without any chance.Is there a MS procedure for this ?This is my...
  3. How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files: Hello,I work a lot with Borland C++ that has a context F1 help system.I know this has been discontinued for security reasons.There are tons of "recipes" to install an XP file on Win 10, but I tried many without any chance.Is there a MS procedure for this ?This is my...
  4. Legacy program data and X86 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Legacy program data and X86 files: I am updating a legacy program written several years ago. Developed in VB6 yes, it still runs, it has always installed and run under the Program Files X86 folder. All program files have installed there and the program is running. Where is the data stored and how do I get...
  5. legacy program is blocked by administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    legacy program is blocked by administrator: My computer has locked a program that I use all the time. Error displayed is "for your protection an administrator has locked/blocked this program". help is greatly appreciated Kougot...
  6. Extracting Files and Accessing Programs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Extracting Files and Accessing Programs: I am the only user for my laptop. It was set up that way when I purchased the computer last year. Some way despite the fact that I am the administrator of the computer in the control panel the File Explorer had a user named Administrator and all my content and user privileges...
  7. HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10: I had a workaround to use the old HLP files but M$ appears to have broken the ability to use a HLP again. Sadly, the workaround (using XP HLP files) no longer appears to work. ---------------- Questions ------------------ 1) Anyone have a workaround that works (recently...
  8. Reading old hlp files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading old hlp files in Windows 10: How to read old hlp files in Windows 10. Any support seems to stop at Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-old-hlp-files-in-windows-10/cf91f8ee-e457-44c8-adfc-a840fe7257d8"
  9. Legacy Geneaology Program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy Geneaology Program: G'Day I NEED some help Please. I had to buy a new laptop its a ASUS with Windows, as I had a previous ASUS which was a magic computer Now with the new ASUS with Windows 10, I find I cant download the Legacy Geneaology, it takes me to the APP section, and I cant download...
  10. hlp extension

in Windows 10 Support
    hlp extension: I have program that works with the .hlp extenion (Windows 7 version). It won't work on Windows 10 .hlp extention. Is there a way I can add a new extention that will run the Windows 7 version? I could upload the file if I knew how. Don Cole 127937