Windows 10: Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings!

Discus and support Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchased a new laptop which has Win10 installed. After struggling to gain access to ALL files and folders, and not succeeding, I deleted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Prof. Michael, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings!

I purchased a new laptop which has Win10 installed.

After struggling to gain access to ALL files and folders, and not succeeding, I deleted the recently installed account with local Administrator privileges. I did gain access through the original account, which was installed when Win10 had been installed on the laptop.

Before I connected to Microsoft, I checked and had access to the folders "Programs" and "Documents and Settings"!. i double checked this by opening those folders!!!

After I connected to my Microsoft Account, this changed and access to those folders was DENIED, even though I have Administrator privileges not just local!

Now I wonder WHO has an interest to block access to ANYTHING on MY LAPTOP, which is MY PROPERTY!

Make no mistake at Microsoft, this is serious, and if I do not get a satisfactory resolution to this, I will contact my friends at the EU-Commission to complain against a clear breach of privacy, because if Microsoft can actually CHANGE permissions as they please, THAT constitutes a very serious breach of EU laws!

Having worked with ALL versions of Windows OS's, and NEVER have encountered this problem, I find Windows 10 to be invasive, unsafe and illegal.

:)

Prof. Michael, Jun 11, 2020
  2. Rose Ter Win User

access to Documents and Settings in Windows 10

Hi William,

For us to isolate the issue regarding your access to documents and settings, we will need to ask you a few questions:

• Are you having issues with Microsoft Access?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Since when are you experiencing the issue?
    • Any recent changes made prior to the issue?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Jun 11, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings!

Prooblems accessing documents

Hi Jilly,

Generally, the Documents folder found under Quick access is the Documents folder built-in to Windows, and not the Documents folder in OneDrive. Since you mentioned that both This PC and OneDrive are giving you the "Location is not available." message,
    do you mean to say that both Documents folders are missing from Quick access?

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, you are accessing your Documents through This PC, instead of Quick access. Have you tried pinning the Documents folder from This PC to Quick access? If not, we suggest that you do. This way, you won't need to
    go through several folders to reach your files.

Here's how:

• Access the contents of of the user account that you're using, in your case, it's the
      jilly folder from This PC > OS (CAccess in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings! :) >
      Users > jilly.
    • Right-click on Documents, and then select Pin to Quick access.

Regarding the OneDrive folder, we suggest restoring the Documents folder from the OneDrive recycle bin so we can avoid further errors. You may refer to this
    support article for steps on how to restore deleted files and folders
    in OneDrive.

Is your OneDrive synced to your Windows 10 PC? If so, you can try to restore the Documents folder from
    http://onedrive.live.com. Steps on how to restore deleted files and folders can be found in this
    support article under the
    Restore deleted items section.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings!

1. Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings! - Similar Threads - Access Win10 Programs

2. Setting program affinity in Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Setting program affinity in Win10: I've heard of ways to make certain programs use only one core by going on the process tab in the task manager and setting affinity, but I've never found this affinity option. I have installed a very old game and it lags because the PC isn't rly built for that, and I need...
  3. Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access in Win10 to Programs and Documents and Settings!: I purchased a new laptop which has Win10 installed. After struggling to gain access to ALL files and folders, and not succeeding, I deleted the recently installed account with local Administrator privileges. I did gain access through the original account, which was installed...
  4. Accessing documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing documents: When I try to open any document, Word, Excel, pdf etc, either from Windows Explorer or use one of the "Quick Launch" links, I get an error message: "Windows cannot find 'C\[file path]' Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again" I have run "scf" as...
  5. Need to access Chromecast settings from Win10 laptop

Need to access Chromecast settings from Win10 laptop: When we got the Chromecast I installed the Chrome browser (yeuch!!!) on my laptop and used it to set up the Chromecast. The WiFi in the living room has always been weak; Our laptops frequently lost signal and the Chromecast often stalls during programs. Last week I set up...
  6. this is just from curiosity - Documents and Settings on WIN10

this is just from curiosity - Documents and Settings on WIN10: I was just playing with explorer settings..and disabled "hide protected operating system files". In C:\ I have now folder "Documents and Settings", with little icon like shortcut, if I'll try to open it, I'll just get error about permission. Anybody knew WHY windows...
  7. accessing documents on Quick access

accessing documents on Quick access: Windows 10 - I can no longer access the latest documents I'm working on in Quick Access - just offers folders. This happened about two weeks ago. How do I fix it?...
  8. Win10 refuses to set a default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 refuses to set a default program: New HP Envy laptop. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default program for .txt files. I go to the usual place in Settings, choose to set by file association, scroll down to .txt, click to see the choices, select Notepad++, and...Windows leaves it at Notepad. A conspiracy...
  9. Accessing all programs and documents in both user and adminstrator acc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Accessing all programs and documents in both user and adminstrator acc: Hi, Since uploading Windows 10 I can now not access all programs and documents in both user and adminstrator accounts. I was able to do this in Windows 7 is there a setting I need to change? 21635
  10. How To Access Documents and Settings on a Different System Disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Access Documents and Settings on a Different System Disk?: I have a second system disk in my machine. Win10. I was running the machine off it until I managed to repair my original system disk via RegBack. Now it is still hooked up but no longer the boot disk. I plan to wipe it clean and use it for mirroring my sys disk image....