Windows 10: "Access is denied" after ownership gained and permissions set

Discus and support "Access is denied" after ownership gained and permissions set in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10. Trying to get on top of MS W10 ownership and permissions is something which I know from experience is bad for my mental health. But I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrodent, Aug 4, 2020.

1. mrodent Win User

"Access is denied" after ownership gained and permissions set

Windows 10.

Trying to get on top of MS W10 ownership and permissions is something which I know from experience is bad for my mental health.

But I am trying to understand what might be wrong here.

I am simply trying to edit a .txt file in the C:\ directory.

Please, please don't tell me to "change ownership": I have changed ownership of C:\ to my own account. I have also changed ownership of the file I want to edit.

Please, please don't tell me to "change permissions": I have set both users and administrators to "full permission" for both C:\ and the file I want to edit. The account I'm using is an administrator account. It may also be a "user" account as well: I haven't a clue and don't know where to find this out: can you be "administrator" and "user" at the same time?

Ideally what I would like is a checklist of what might be causing this problem.

This problem, incidentally, applies to all files in C:\.
    Incidentally, I can
    - open these text files in an editor and the contents display fine. I can edit... but then it won't let me delete: "Access is denied".
    - I can delete these text files without any problem at all.
    - I can't copy these files in the C:\ directory: trying to do it in Explorer I get "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
    Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client"

Please explain what might be the problem... and any solutions...? Thanks.

:)

mrodent, Aug 4, 2020
  2. tfwul Win User

Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?

Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder.

1) went through [Run] lusrmgr.msc steps
    then also
    2) went through secpol.msc steps

error still remained

3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder.
    Everything is okay now.

BUT...
    whilst the issue is solved, the 'WHY" still puzzles me.

a) I took a screenshot of Properties->Security of the 'Access Denied'-folder before the take ownership
    and after take ownership (see 'A')
    Administrators (DESKTOP-xxxxx\Administors) was added

b) I took a screenshot of some random other folder on another drive (see screenshot B)
    the Owner of the folder after 'take ownership' - my name and email address
    the Owner of the random other folder - Administrators (DESKTOP-xxxxx\Administors)

Before the 'Take Ownership'-action, when checking out the properties->security

"Access is denied" after ownership gained and permissions set [​IMG]

and after clicking on the the [Continue] button there, I got an error:
    "You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user."

Appreciate views
    Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in their upcoming SP (there are so many endless exchanges on this)

Windows 10 x64 Pro

=

ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs

ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs

tfwul, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

Hello,

I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error
    messages include: "You have been denied permission to access this folder, to gain access...security tab" which I have tried multiple of times and still no luck. I tried to change the owner to admin, my user, everyone still nothing, all I get is "Error Applying
    Security...Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied". I have also tried using a third-party software "Take Ownership" even that failed.

Besides that I tried to perform cmd commands in admin such as check the disk and the response I get is "CHKSDK is not available for RAW drivers". I even tried:

• takeown /f S:\path/r /d y
    • icacls S:\path /grant administrators: f /t
    The response from the above command is: "Error: The request has failed due to a fatal device hardware error".

Not sure what else to do. I would appreciate if someone can suggest a possible solution. I got some important files stored there and I really dont wanna lose them.

Thanks in advance.

James

JAMESCOULOMB, Aug 4, 2020
  4. xBruce88x Win User

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad "Access is denied" after ownership gained and permissions set :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. "Access is denied" after ownership gained and permissions set - Similar Threads - Access denied ownership

2. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  3. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  4. Permission access to files denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permission access to files denied: Hi, i wish to ask after the windows 10 update on 10/12/20. I'm currently unable to delete the files in my pc while keep encountering the problem Folder Access Denied stating I'm not the user of the PC while I'm the only user I'm only able to have access to my desktop,...
  5. Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied: I'm trying to take ownership of a shortcut to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c get_iplayer_web_pvr.cmd When I try, I get: Code: SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" now owned by user "ELLIOT-PC\kingm". processed file: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe...
  6. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails: Hello, I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error messages...
  7. Access denied local drive after changing permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied local drive after changing permission: Hello I was trying to change access under security tab in properties to my local disk S: However I messed up the process and now I am unable to access the whole drive. I have run chkdsk in cmd after dismounting and it is showing no error. Please note after initiating the...
  8. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  9. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  10. Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?: Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder. 1) went through [Run] lusrmgr.msc steps then also 2) went through secpol.msc steps error still remained 3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder. Everything is okay now....