Windows 10: 'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives

Discus and support 'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am unable to connect to my NAS share drives on Win10 Explorer. I am running v2004 Build 19041.421. When I try to map to the NAS drive I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SimonKin, Aug 5, 2020.

1. SimonKin Win User

'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives

I am unable to connect to my NAS share drives on Win10 Explorer. I am running v2004 Build 19041.421.

When I try to map to the NAS drive I get 'Access is denied' message.

I have researched this extensively online and have tried all the various fixes but nothing works.

I have:

1. Switched on SMB1 in Windows features

2. Ticked all the correct boxes in Network Sharing in the 'Private' and 'All Networks' area

3. Turned 'Password Protected Sharing' on & off

4. Updated the registry with 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' in LanmanWorkstation set to 1

5. Deleted the credentials in Credential Manager

6. Manually added new credentials in multiple combos e.g. with caps/no caps, with \, no \, etc.

It is a Win10 issue because

1. I have a Win7 laptop which can map to the NAS drives with the same username/password I am attempting to use in Win10

2. I can ping the NAS on my network

3. It is not a router issue because my router lets the Win7 laptop connect to the device

4. It is not a NAS issue because my NAS works perfectly normally with the Win7 laptop

5. I can log into the NAS via a webpage using the username/password

Is there something else I can try?

:)

SimonKin, Aug 5, 2020
  2. Peters48 Win User

RPC error: cannot connect to NAS drive

Since upgrading from Win7(64) to Win10(64), I have been unable to connect to my NAS drive (\\NET_DRIVE). While I can see the drive in windows for mapping a drive, File Explorer and Network Sharing, when I try to map the drive, I get the following error:
    \\NET_DRIVE is not accessible.... A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

• The NAS drive is connected to my WiFi router, not to a remote computer.
    • The user profile I'm using has administrative rights
    • This problem did not occur when running Windows 7. It started when I upgraded to Windows 10
    How can I fix this so I can access my NAS drive?

Peters48, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Problem accessing a NAS drive

I have 2 NAS drives and 3 computers in my home network. The NAS drives and one PC are Ethernet-connected to a router/wireless access point; the other 2 PCs use wireless connections. All 3 PCs can access one NAS drive with no problem. The drives show up in the Network section of File Explorer, and if I click on the NAS's icon all it's shares are displayed (whether or not the PC has credentials to access the shares). The shares on the other NAS drive can be seen by only 2 of the PCs.

On the failing PC the inaccessible NAS drive shows in File Explorer, but if I click on it I get

'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives [​IMG]

However, on that same PC, Firefox can access the FTP server on the NAS drive

'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives [​IMG]

so Windows obviously has no trouble communicating with the NAS. And Windows must be configured to allow communication with a NAS in general or it could not successfully connect to the other NAS. (Those two screen snips were stored on that working NAS.)

The problematic PC doesn't really have to reach the NAS, but I would like it to, and I'm frustrated that I can't figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the error popup says I should ask the administrator of the server about this. I would, but I'm not speaking with myself at the moment.

pokeefe0001, Aug 5, 2020
  4. DimasTriM Win User

Access Denied when I try to connect a shared printer in Windows 10

Access Denied when I try to connect a shared printer in Windows 10.

I unable to connect a shared printer (Epson L120) from windows 10, and my laptop using Windows 10 to.

It says:

'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives b36236d1-16c5-496d-8e85-ee329bec816e?upload=true.jpg

Any Suggestion? Thank you.

DimasTriM, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

1. 'Access is denied' message when trying to connect to NAS share drives - Similar Threads - 'Access denied' message

2. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Denied access when trying to share folder: I am trying to share a folder to another user on the network. I am the admin and I'm logged in, I've gone through all the security settings for the file but when I run the Quickbooks Server it tells me that the file is not shared and that I do not have the appropriate...
  3. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Denied access when trying to share folder: I am trying to share a folder to another user on the network. I am the admin and I'm logged in, I've gone through all the security settings for the file but when I run the Quickbooks Server it tells me that the file is not shared and that I do not have the appropriate...
  4. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?: Trying to access my NAS storage TrueNAS device. I believe it is administered for SMB Windows access but I cannot access it. Just getting "access denied; check permissions, and the same security excuses I have had whenever I have tried to access something like NAS that is...
  6. Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?

Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?: Trying to access my NAS storage TrueNAS device. I believe it is administered for SMB Windows access but I cannot access it. Just getting "access denied; check permissions, and the same security excuses I have had whenever I have tried to access something like NAS that is...
  7. Trying to connect to a shared folder - Access Denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to connect to a shared folder - Access Denied: I have a Workstation with a shared folder and 4 other machines that I need them to access that shared folder. They are all the same machine configured the same way with the same IDs and passwords. 3 of the machines connected fine, but one is getting an access denied message...
  8. Access Denied when I try to connect a shared printer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access Denied when I try to connect a shared printer in Windows 10: Access Denied when I try to connect a shared printer in Windows 10. I unable to connect a shared printer (Epson L120) from windows 10, and my laptop using Windows 10 to. It says: [ATTACH] Any Suggestion? Thank you....
  9. "Access Denied" message on trying to access network shared folders

"Access Denied" message on trying to access network shared folders: Hello Everyone, Have a situation, would appreciate your valuable support and answer on this. I have a small office environment with a Windows Server 2012 Standard edition in place along with 6 Windows PCs connected to a basic network system, wherein which non of the...
  10. "Access is Denied" when trying to view contents of shared folder

"Access is Denied" when trying to view contents of shared folder: So I bit the bullet and "upgraded" my laptop from Windows 7 to 10. I expected to find a few things that didn't work anymore, but not so soon as this. I keep it in sync with my desktop PC (running XP) by net-sharing its hard drive, with permission for full control granted to...