Windows 10: Access issues (EVEN THOUGH I'M THE OWNER...)

Discus and support Access issues (EVEN THOUGH I'M THE OWNER...) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm beyond frustrated with this crap. But here it goes. I'm TRYING to delete my steam directory on my games partition on my SSD because it's not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ItsComa, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ItsComa Win User

Access issues (EVEN THOUGH I'M THE OWNER...)

I'm beyond frustrated with this crap. But here it goes.
    I'm TRYING to delete my steam directory on my games partition on my SSD because it's not working properly and I want to just delete it and start fresh (since the only game in it is fallout 4). When I try to delete it, however, I get the error "You require permission from 'PCNAME-PC\MYUSERNAME' to make changes to this folder. The thing that puzzles me is I AM ON THAT ACCOUNT THAT IT'S SAYING IT REQUIRES PERMISSION FROM. It makes zero sense to me. I've already followed the steps to make sure I am the owner of the folder, but it still won't let me delete it. I don't understand why microsoft had to mess with security permissions so much in windows 10, it's sooooooooooo messed up. Let's just say this isn't the first time I've had issues with permissions before.

SIDE NOTE: My OS is also installed on my SSD, but on a seperate partition than my steam library that I'm trying to delete. ALSO, on my HDD, I can delete any folder I want and I'm not even the owner of it. Now that I mention it, for some reason the owner of my HDD is "TrustedInstaller". Not exactly sure why that is. If that seems sketchy, let me know. But at the moment, it isn't causing me any problems.

EDIT: I don't know if this is worth noting, but I recently reformatted my C:\ Drive because of malicious crap that I foolishly fell for. I was able to delete folders in that directory before the reformat as far as I remember....

:)

ItsComa, Jun 3, 2016

2. Change from local account to Microsoft account permission issues

So this fix did absolutely nothing. I've realized I can't even add anything to the Start Menu now, because I'm locked out, and even though it SAYS I'm already the owner of the folder, I can't change anything about it.

ChrisRevocateur, Jun 3, 2016
  3. You require permission from to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

I suggest you to take ownership of the file and then check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps:

1. Right-click the program that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK
    on the Security message (if one appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click change. Enter your password if prompted.
    4. Type in your username and press
    enter

5. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select
    the Replace owner on sub containers and

objects
    check box.

6. Click OK and close all the windows.

7. Follow step a and b, click
    on advanced.

8. Under "permissions" tab, select your user account
    and click on "change permissions"

9. Check the "Replace all child object permission entries from this object." option and click
    Ok.

10. All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Try these steps and let us know the results. We’d be happy to help if you need any further assistance.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jun 3, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I might have missed it, what happened when you tried deletion in Safe Mode?

RolandJS, Jun 3, 2016
  5. ItsComa Win User
    Same thing. Safe Mode didn't make any difference whatsoever.

ItsComa, Jun 3, 2016
  6. NovHak Win User
    Is the user you're logged in a member of the administrators group ? Did you play with user account control or did you leave it on as it is by default ? You can try adding a Full Control entry in the security tab, as well as "Replace all access control lists of children objects..." (click the advanced button).

You could try deleting the game from add/remove programs too, and the Steam client. That's far cleaner since deleting the directory will leave some pieces, such as Steam services and registry entries that are more likely to be removed if you follow the standard procedure.

NovHak, Jun 3, 2016
  7. ItsComa Win User
    Yes, my user is an administrator. UAC is all the way off. Did that when I installed windows. My account has full control, but it doesn't matter apparently.
    I can't uninstall it from add/remove programs, because neither steam nor my computer detect it as installed, yet it's clearly taking over 20GB of space. This is why I'm trying to just get rid of the whole directory.

ItsComa, Jun 3, 2016
  8. derekimo Win User

derekimo, Jun 3, 2016
  9. RolandJS Win User
    If nothing else works, one can create a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot and delete the offending directory from that utility. However, there might very will be consequences concerning residuals in registry, AppData, ProgramData, and so on. [I'm using Windows 7 terminology, I don't know if Windows 10 has similar folders and registry or not.]

RolandJS, Jun 3, 2016
  10. ItsComa Win User
    Interesting....that worked...I read about that method a couple times but didn't think I needed it since I was already the owner. But I figured why not try it anyway and it worked, lol. Thanks. Now hopefully steam can re-create a library without problems on that partition.

ItsComa, Jun 3, 2016
  11. derekimo Win User
    You're welcome, glad you got it sorted. I'm pretty sure although you were the owner, the recent format was the reason for having the trouble with it recognizing you as the owner.

That's a good thing to have on hand anyway, that context menu item.

Good luck with the rest of what you are doing. *Smile

derekimo, Jun 3, 2016
  12. NovHak Win User
    Being the owner of the directory doesn't mean being the owner of all files and subdirectories. I suppose that's where the problem was...

NovHak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Access issues (EVEN THOUGH I'M THE OWNER...) - Similar Threads - Access issues THOUGH

2. I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner: I'm the only user of my pc win10 and the admin surely. The problem is I can neither delete program files nor make any changes. I've been struggling with it for a long time. I double checked the owner on properties>security>advanced but still can't do anything and there are...
  3. I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner: I'm the only user of my pc win10 and the admin surely. The problem is I can neither delete program files nor make any changes. I've been struggling with it for a long time. I double checked the owner on properties>security>advanced but still can't do anything and there are...
  4. I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner: Hi,I have problem with deleting some folders from Program Files. I'm getting message: "You require permission from DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername to make changes to this folder.". I was getting the same message before, but instead of "DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername" was "SYSTEM", so I...
  6. You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner: Hi,I have problem with deleting some folders from Program Files. I'm getting message: "You require permission from DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername to make changes to this folder.". I was getting the same message before, but instead of "DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername" was "SYSTEM", so I...
  7. You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

8. No internet though ethernet even though I'm connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet though ethernet even though I'm connected: Howdy. About two weeks ago, my internet to my windows 10 stopped working. I use Ubuntu 20.04 and have Windows 10 running through my Vmware 16 player. I've tried connecting NAT, Bridge, and Host with Vmware with no luck. I've even flushed the Windows system with no luck. Any...
  9. No internet though ethernet even though I'm connected

No internet though ethernet even though I'm connected: Howdy. About two weeks ago, my internet to my windows 10 stopped working. I use Ubuntu 20.04 and have Windows 10 running through my Vmware 16 player. I've tried connecting NAT, Bridge, and Host with Vmware with no luck. I've even flushed the Windows system with no luck. Any...
  10. No internet though ethernet even though I'm connected