Windows 10: Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible

Discus and support Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello together, I´ve got the following problem: The PC I´m talking about is configured with a general autologon user. Is the user logged in, he has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tobi9595, Sep 29, 2020.

1. tobi9595 Win User

Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible

Hello together,

I´ve got the following problem:

The PC I´m talking about is configured with a general autologon user. Is the user logged in, he has the possibility to connect to a network drive to access his specific files with the personal user, which are stored on the server . Before the user get´s access, he is asked for his credentials. Now there are three different situations that occured:

1. I have access
    2. I have no access Failure report: "You cant access \xxxxx\xxx..... . You don´t have the rights for the access to..."
    3. First I have no access, after about ~5 minutes I got access.

I´m not sure, but I think it could be that he get my credentials, but nevertheless accesses the network drive with the rights from the general autologon user, not from the personalized user.

If I log off the general user after autologon and log in with my personal user on the PC, there are no problems with the access. But unfortunaly this is not a solution.

Anyone with the same problem or with some suggestions to solve this problem?

Best regards!

:)

tobi9595, Sep 29, 2020
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Restrict Network Drive Access to User

Hi Beach,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there network discovery option is enabled on the computer.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "kids have a local account", is the child account configured as standard user account on the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to hide the network discovery of the computer in the shared network.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "HomeGroup" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

4. Expand Private.

5. Turn off network discovery.

5. Expand Guest or Public.

6. Then turn off network discovery
    option.

7. Click on Save changes button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with restricting network drives to the child account, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Unable to access Network drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • What is the version of Windows 10 installed on the computer?
    • What is the exact error message you’re getting while trying to access the network drive?
    • Are you able to access the drive using its IP address?
    I suggest to follow the steps posted by Pauli O and see if it works.

How to get network sharing work with Windows 10

Please get back to us with the information requested above, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

If the issue persists, it would be more helpful for us to identify the root cause of the issue, if you can post the screenshot of the error message/code you are getting.

How to include a screenshot in your post

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible - Similar Threads - Access network drive

2. Move users to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move users to another drive: With DaveM121's help I was able to fix a User Shell Folder problem by editing the registry entry. But that was one problem out of the bigger problem. There are a lot of %USERPROFILE% entries in the same list. What is the value of user profile? It must be at least partially...
  3. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  4. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  5. network access to another computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    network access to another computer: Trying to access drives on an old computer through my network, I'm told that I don't have permission to access the specific folder on the remote device. It says to contact my network administrator to request access. Since I am the network administrator, how do I give access...
  6. Guest user / another user with limited access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Guest user / another user with limited access: Hello, I want to create an secondary user on my computer with limited access. I manage to create a secondary user without an Microsoft Account. Just with username and password. My problem is that this other user have access to the D-disk where i have all my personal files....
  7. User constantly losing access to network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User constantly losing access to network drive: I have users with network drives mapped one of our servers. Only we employee has a problem - she loses access to the drive. The red X shows up, however, the shortcut is not clickable. If you click it, the screen turns white and eventually times out. If trying to access it...
  8. Timed autologin or autologin override

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Timed autologin or autologin override: Is there a way to set a timed autologin for MSWin 10? I know you can do an immediate autologin, but nothing for adelayed login such as waiting 10 seconds to allow you to select a different user. It shouldn't be that hard, Linux has been able to do this forYEARS now, under...
  9. Getting Access to another network drive

Getting Access to another network drive: I have four computers on my network. I store all my files on one of the computers and the other three were able to access that computer whenever they needed to. I just replaced Verizon with Comcast but after they left I realized that I could no longer access the computer...
  10. access to a network drive by a win10 user

access to a network drive by a win10 user: hi all, I have a small network and from a pc, even by a single user who has access from that pc, I do not see an external drive on the network another user who logs in from that pc has no problems all the other PCs and their users see that drive, no configuration made...