Windows 10: Access shared folders by Filemanager

Discus and support Access shared folders by Filemanager in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop running windows 10. C: drive and 2 top level folders shared to all (at least). New laptop with windows 10. Filemanager shows >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by anthonyth2000, May 21, 2019.

1. Access shared folders by Filemanager

I have a desktop running windows 10.

C: drive and 2 top level folders shared to all (at least).

New laptop with windows 10. Filemanager shows

> Quick Access

> OneDrive

> This PC

> Network in left hand screen. Top 3 > open as expected.

Click on bottom > nothing happens

Double click on Network, R H Screen shows PC, Printer, Scanner, Router, and sometimes phones.

Double click on Router and browser opens and gives access as expected.

Double click on PC and instead of showing me the folders in C: Windows Media Player starts showing a few sound files I have in C:/users/name/Music/Bugle. It can play them.

Why Media Player?

How do I get to all the other folders, especially Documents?

:)

anthonyth2000, May 21, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Access shared folders  by Filemanager :)

Frogger, May 21, 2019
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Access shared folders by Filemanager

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, May 21, 2019
Thema:

Access shared folders by Filemanager

1. Access shared folders by Filemanager - Similar Threads - Access shared folders

2. cant access shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant access shared folder: i have 2 pc, 1 with windows 10, 1 with windows 7. I put my files on the windows 7 and shared it, but i cant access it from local network. when i try to connect to shared folder, it told me "you dont have permission to access .... ". at that same pc, the printer sharing and...
  3. Sharing folders with write access

Sharing folders with write access: I have a need to share some folders/directories with write access on a small office network. I can't figure out how to do this now. What's needed: Some machines have write access to some folders, everything has read-access to everything shared we don't need or desire...
  4. FileManager not updating, occasionally freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FileManager not updating, occasionally freezing: I have Windows 10, version 2004 ?! OS Build 19041.421 I installed a preview version of Windows that had the capability of enabling the use of Docker, but I never followed through with the Docker install. This was a couple months ago. My File Manager has become troublesome...
  5. No access to the shared folder

No access to the shared folder: Hi all, I have an issue with the shared folders. I did share a few folders from my PC, but they are not visible either from my laptop or streamer Dune HD base. I do see that the folders are shared when I check their status in the "Properties". In addition, I do see that the...
  6. Shared folder not accessible

Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  7. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  8. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  9. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  10. Shared Folder Access

Shared Folder Access: Hi All, I had a windows 7 machine built to share a folder on my workgroup network. I slowly grew my network and begun getting an error that there was too many simultaneous connections. I was told to upgrade to server 2016 STD so i purchased it and have it installed and...