Windows 10: Access the directory tree on one computer from another computer

Discus and support Access the directory tree on one computer from another computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop and desktop computer. Microsoft set an icon on each computer to access the directory tree on the other computer by clicking on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobDooley, Oct 11, 2019.

1. BobDooley Win User

Access the directory tree on one computer from another computer

I have a laptop and desktop computer. Microsoft set an icon on each computer to access the directory tree on the other computer by clicking on the icon. This is no longer working. When I phoned Microsoft Support they gave me a case number and told me they were passing me on to someone that would work with me on this problem. I waited on the phone for 38 minutes and nobody answered.

If you know how to set this up I would appreciate the information.

OR if you know how to get a Technical Support technician to talk to me and get this working again, please tell me how!

:)

BobDooley, Oct 11, 2019
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Oct 11, 2019
  3. win7 directory tree printing

Hey, that worked.

Now changed current directory to D:\ and entered

tree /f > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Treed.txt"

I presumed that I would get a list for D:\ in treed.txt

No sign of treed.txt on the desktop but no error messages either.

Jim

JimSmithe99, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Access the directory tree on one computer from another computer

win7 directory tree printing

Your command is correct. If you cannot see TreeD.txt on your desktop then you probably misspelt the command. This command would also be correct:

tree D:\ /f > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\TreeD.txt"

Frederik Long, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Access the directory tree on one computer from another computer

1. Access the directory tree on one computer from another computer - Similar Threads - Access directory tree

2. Data transfer from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data transfer from one computer to another: My husband and I have Lenovo laptops. I need to move his data to my laptop and my data to his laptop. Please help. Thank you Also, I think my computer was updated to windows 11 but when it was purchased, it had windows 10 on it....
  3. Logging in from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logging in from one computer to another: I keep trying to log in to my laptop from another computer. I keep getting the following message "The user name or password is incorrect". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logging-in-from-one-computer-to-another/6fd340dc-11de-4458-bca9-24fa0d81addc
  4. Logging in from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logging in from one computer to another: I keep trying to log in to my laptop from another computer. I keep getting the following message "The user name or password is incorrect". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logging-in-from-one-computer-to-another/6fd340dc-11de-4458-bca9-24fa0d81addc
  5. Copying files from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copying files from one computer to another.: I have several NTFS formatted portable HDDs that when new files are copied onto them from one machine and I attempt to read them on another machine the new files don't appear. I've tried to use chkdsk in command mode with the /f switch, but that will not run because I'm...
  6. transfer microsoft from one computer to another

transfer microsoft from one computer to another: We just upgraded our computer and would like to transfer the program account to the new one. How do we download microsoft to the new one. Our account does not expire until this spring. Thank you....
  7. Windos 10 Activison from one computer to another computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windos 10 Activison from one computer to another computer: i recently purchased a new pc which had windows 10 intalled already but i think its just the trial or something because i cant change my background picture of my desktop and it also has a water mark saying "activate windows 10"... i got an older computer which i purchased a...
  8. How to access one win10 desktop computer from another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to access one win10 desktop computer from another?: I have two Win10 desktop computers, each connected by a cable to a single modem/router. I would like to set up a "network" which will allow me to access files on one computer from another and vice versa. Any suggestions on how to do this?...
  9. Access all files from one drive on another computer

Access all files from one drive on another computer: My HP laptop is no longer working due to water damage. I had all my files saved in Onedrive. I bought a new HP laptop, but I cannot access all my files from one drive on my new HP laptop. I'm only able to access files from 2017, but I cannot access none of my files from 2018...
  10. icons move from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Support
    icons move from one computer to another: Hi guys, When I boot my laptop I get the icons from my desktop/tower computer on my laptop desktop. I delete them but on the next boot they come back. I think it's due to onedrive. I thought it had to do with syncing so I turned it off but still the same thing. I googled the...