Windows 10: Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

Discus and support Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is really weird. I have 2 computers. Computer A has 1 shared folder. Computer B has 2 users. Both are administrators. But only 1 user can access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wimkuijpers, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

This is really weird. I have 2 computers. Computer A has 1 shared folder. Computer B has 2 users. Both are administrators. But only 1 user can access the shared folder. The other user has to enter the network credentials. Also new users have no access. How is this possible?

:)

wimkuijpers, Oct 8, 2019

2. Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 8, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    How to limit Windows Sharing to one PC on a network?

Set up one user for general sharing, and another user that can access that folder. In the security tab of the folder deny access to the general user and allow access to the special user.

newtekie1, Oct 8, 2019
  4. DTG1 Win User

Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

1. Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user. - Similar Threads - Access shared folder

2. Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.: I have 2 PCs. One is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Windows 11 laptop. About a year ago I set up a folder on my Windows 10 Desktop as a shared network folder. I then logged into my Windows 11 laptop and saved that folder and entered my credentials. I have been using...
  3. Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing a shared folder on 1 PC from another.: I have 2 PCs. One is a Windows 10 desktop and the other is a Windows 11 laptop. About a year ago I set up a folder on my Windows 10 Desktop as a shared network folder. I then logged into my Windows 11 laptop and saved that folder and entered my credentials. I have been using...
  4. Sharing a Single Folder with Another User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a Single Folder with Another User: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (21H1 - Build 19043.1052). I am trying to set up another user with access to a single folder and its subfolders on a new machine. I've shared this folder with that user by editing the share settings in Windows Explorer. When I log in as that...
  5. Sharing a File with another user on my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sharing a File with another user on my PC: I have set up my PC on Windows Ten with Microsoft Office 07. I am the administrator and I have one other user who is not an administrator. I have a file that I want to share and I've followed the protocol for sharing using the Properties, Security, Adavaced route and...
  6. Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC

Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC: I know the basics of network sharing, but it only works for me if I specify sharing with Everyone. Here are my two problems: 1. I want to share a folder on one PC with a specific person working on another PC. I get to where I have to type a name and then click Add.......
  7. Revert the access permissions to another user's folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Revert the access permissions to another user's folder: Hi! I granted a non-admin user access permission to another non-admin user's folder. Now I finished transferring the files I needed to transfer, and I would like to revert those permissions to their original state. How can I do that? Thanks. submitted by /u/a_n_d_r_e_...
  8. How to share folders with a specific user on another computer

How to share folders with a specific user on another computer: I've gone through the tutorials here on how to set up share folders. Very useful. I've done a fair bit of google searching as well. There does not seem to be an answer to my question. I have some folders on my desktop PC that I have shared on my network using the "Everyone"...
  9. Cannot access a shared folder on another PC

Cannot access a shared folder on another PC: I have 3 PCs on a network using Windows 10. I have a shared folder on one PC. Of the other 2 PCs, one can access the folder and the other cannot. The one that cannot is asking for network credentials. Just the other day the 2 PCs could access the shared folders. I did not set...
  10. share folders with one user only on another pc

share folders with one user only on another pc: lets say i have two pcs A and B. workgroup and etc configured. is it possible to share a folder in B with the user \A\User3 only?! i'm going crazy but can't find anything... thanks 64044