Windows 10: Access to an inherited PC-no password available

Discus and support Access to an inherited PC-no password available in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What are the steps to access a PC when the initial password is not known? The owner died and without a record of the password, and I am the executor... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nadya77, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Nadya77 Win User

Access to an inherited PC-no password available

What are the steps to access a PC when the initial password is not known? The owner died and without a record of the password, and I am the executor of the estate. We have the death certificate and the probate court's order for the executor.

* Moved from Community Participation Center

:)

Nadya77, Nov 24, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to access files on desktop

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply with the details to help you further:

• Is the computer connected to any organization’s domain network?

I suggest you to try enabling Inheritance for that particular folder and check if you are able to access the files. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open the file location and right click on the folder.
    2. Click on Properties
      at the bottom of the context menu.
    3. Click the Security tab, and click on
      Advanced. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Check if Inheritance is disabled; if it is disabled, please Enable it.
    5. Now, click on Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from the object.
    6. Click Apply and then click
      OK.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Dell bios passwords 595B and 2A7B

Tushe, here's the password for the HDD:

8pqw6hyk

Enjoy! Loves.

LovesFLSun, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and assist you with appropriate steps, Could you please confirm if there any major change on your system prior to which you did not face this issue?

This issue usually occurs when the folder is shared, but the inheritance is not enabled. I would suggest you to check by enabling the inheritance for the folder containing the subfolders which you are not able to access and see
    if this issue still persists. Please follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to Enable Inheritance:

1. Right-click on the folder that you are sharing over the Network.
    2. Click on Properties
      at the bottom of the context menu.
    3. Click the Security tab, click
      Advanced, and then click the Permissions tab, select the user and check if the Inheritance is enabled at the bottom left corner of that window. If not, click on
      Enable Inheritance (Note: If the Inheritance is already enabled, you will find a button in the same place that says ‘Disable Inheritance’).
    4. Click Apply and then click
      OK.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Access to an inherited PC-no password available - Similar Threads - Access inherited password

2. Password isn't available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password isn't available: My pc is not starting and it is showing pin isn't available. I forgot my password of the windows and during use some security settings were put off by me so it restarted and problem started occurring and once I watched some YouTube videos their it was shown that press shift...
  3. Password isn't available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password isn't available: My pc is not starting and it is showing pin isn't available. I forgot my password of the windows and during use some security settings were put off by me so it restarted and problem started occurring and once I watched some YouTube videos their it was shown that press shift...
  4. pin log in not available no pc access

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    pin log in not available no pc access: my pc will not allow pin log in its asking to set up pin through app but this dosnt load how do i access my pc[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-log-in-not-available-no-pc-access/e357bee1-04b0-4ad2-bd91-5744447aa16d
  5. Enabling Inheritances

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enabling Inheritances: I just recently bought a new laptop, and put the hard drive from the old laptop into a USB housing apparatus can't think of the exact name for it, and hooked it to a USB port. I can see most of the files that are on the drive, but a lot of files cannot be seen. So I found on...
  6. Recieving this Error "Access Denied" and Inherited from my disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recieving this Error "Access Denied" and Inherited from my disk: Hello, I Have received this error from my disk and I'm inherited from my disk that I copied to the network drives and it's very annoying that I Had to watch every video to fix this problem (some of them worked and some not). I have the administrator rights to access my files...
  7. disable inheritance

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    disable inheritance: I could not ope folder or save in it file becase window tell me that I have not permission https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-inheritance/6e4f53b8-eb24-4e41-9723-36675cefac92"
  8. Inherited computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Inherited computer: my brother’s old computer is plugged in and aparantly working. It lists his name as owner and asks for a password. I have used this computer before at his house and the password was “shooter” but now that does not work. Any suggestions on how to make this computer my own?...
  9. Inheriting permissions setting

Inheriting permissions setting: Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator setting until I turn off the inheriting permissions setting. How do I find and turn off the inherited permissions setting on...
  10. permissions, inheritances

permissions, inheritances: After transferring all files and programs from my old damaged laptop to my new laptop (both Win 10) I find I cannot access many older files. "You do not have permission". How can I disable all permissions so I can straighten this out?...