Windows 10: access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop

Discus and support access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop died and I have removed the harddrive and can access it through a usb connection on another laptop. While I have access to all my files on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by waynepeterson1, Dec 3, 2018.

1. access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop

My laptop died and I have removed the harddrive and can access it through a usb connection on another laptop. While I have access to all my files on the e:drive, I can't open any of them. Note says I don't have permission to access. went to properties and changed access under Security to Everyone, but that change did not allow access. Any suggestions on how I can get the files on the external hard drive to open and transfer to the new laptops c:drive?

:)

waynepeterson1, Dec 3, 2018
  2. DannibusX Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Dec 3, 2018
  4. David Haz Win User

access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop

windows explorer crashes when opening an external hard drive.

Hi Gwydion,

If File Explorer is crashing when accessing a drive, it is possible that one of your programs is interfering with it, or that it is related to a virus or malware infection. For us to isolate the issue about File Explorer crashing when accessing your drive,
    kindly respond to the questions below:

• Is the hard drive from your laptop the drive where Windows 8.1 is installed?
    • When File Explorer crashes, are there any error messages that appear?
    • Have you tried performing a full system scan using your preferred antivirus program and see if there is a possible virus or malware infection?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop

1. access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop - Similar Threads - access files hard

2. I want to access files from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to access files from my hard drive: My files are gone from the Desktop and Videos folders. The Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and Music folders, when tried to open, trigger a prompt that reads "Location is not available" among more text. Please, can someone help me get access to my files? My laptop came with a...
  3. I want to access files from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to access files from my hard drive: My files are gone from the Desktop and Videos folders. The Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and Music folders, when tried to open, trigger a prompt that reads "Location is not available" among more text. Please, can someone help me get access to my files? My laptop came with a...
  4. I want to access files from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop: Motherboard crash on laptop haas mad it impossible to boot. I have taken the SSD and attached it through an adapter. Pop-up asks for 40 digit encryption key for drive letters on SSD. I never accepted any encryption. Where can I find key to recover my data....
  6. Portable hard drive and accessing files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive and accessing files: I have located my portable hard drive on my laptop Windows 10, but I'm struggling to locate the files. I've tried the "hidden files" option but all I see is my hard drive icon. Can anyone help me to view the files? Thanks...
  7. Accessing Vista Hard drive from Windows 10 Laptop

Accessing Vista Hard drive from Windows 10 Laptop: I am trying to recover music and photos from an old Vista hard drive using my Windows 10 laptop. I have a Sata to USB cable that seems to be working tested with a newer hard drive. However when I plug in the old Vista hard drive I can see no way to access the contents via...
  8. hard drive crash, lost access to all files.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    hard drive crash, lost access to all files.: If my hard drive crashed on my Inspiron 15 3521, and I buy a new hard drive to replace it, do I have to buy another copy of Windows 10 that was installed on my OS?...
  9. Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.

Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.: I am getting the error windows cannot access \\CHRS_LAPTOP\laptop harddrive What is going on, I set the sharing preferences so no password is needed to access the hard drive and everyone can access it. This worked in windows 7 and 8.1, what changed in windows 10? 59693
  10. How to access files hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to access files hard drive: Hi Folks, I have an ongoing problem due to a Windows update that installed overnight and I am unable to log in to my computer, and I cannot enter safe mode. I have blogged this separately. I want to be able to view and copy the files on my original Surface Pro computer...