Windows 10: access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change

Discus and support access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello After a clean install yesterday with a USB key caused by a failed v1809 update, I had a brand new clean W10 Pro on a primary partition, well... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by acontrario, Feb 28, 2019.

1. access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change

Hello

After a clean install yesterday with a USB key caused by a failed v1809 update, I had a brand new clean W10 Pro on a primary partition, well separated from data on its own logical partition. This approach tends to separate structurally the system & apps from the data but creates its own issues, notably in terms of relocating the User Shell Folders. I intendeded to deal with it later.

Strangely, my ID name after the new w10 setup was shortened in the %USERPROFILE% but the email account as retrieved from info on the USB key was correct. I need the correct ID (= USERPROFILE name) to connect more easily to other devices on my home network.

So, I tried to find out how to change that ID name, believing the control was on the MS email address associated with the MS account, not on the displayed name associated to it.

Stupidly, unrelated, I shortened a bit – and too quickly - my displayed ID name on line in the MS account profile management tool.

After that, I could no longer login locally on the PC with the MS account.

I have a workaround if I can’t get this to work: I had enabled the administrator account by luck, so I keep control. I could delete the old MS account & create a new one.

This will start the mess in the registry (dead SIDs remaining there) but I don’t see another easy solution. Any idea to restore my access without deleting the a/c?

:)

acontrario, Feb 28, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Query about changing the account name

Hi Stephanie,

Since you have already changed the name on your Microsoft account, we suggest switching into a local account, and then log back in with your Microsoft account. This way, we can be sure that any changes made to your Microsoft account will be synced to your
    local user account.

For steps on how to switch to a local account:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Switch to a local account.

To switch back to a Microsoft account:

• Follow steps 1-3 above to get to Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Patricia Yu, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change

1. access to ms account no longer working locally after on line name change - Similar Threads - access account longer

2. Windows/MS office Account name change not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows/MS office Account name change not working: Hello. After a factory reset I unfortunately entered a wrong name when setting up windows. Now the wrong name shows up as my account name when I start up windows, and also on every email I sent out. I tried to change the account name in the windows control panel but it...
  3. Windows/MS office Account name change not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows/MS office Account name change not working: Hello. After a factory reset I unfortunately entered a wrong name when setting up windows. Now the wrong name shows up as my account name when I start up windows, and also on every email I sent out. I tried to change the account name in the windows control panel but it...
  4. Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!: My UserName is BemZ when I sign in with my Microsoft account on PC, the name of my User keeps changing every time between Local NameBemZ and my full name on my MS Account Zouhair Bem i can see that throw my user icon on my desktop, and I need to be Local Name BemZ forever,...
  5. Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!: My UserName is BemZ when I sign in with my Microsoft account on PC, the name of my User keeps changing every time between Local NameBemZ and my full name on my MS Account Zouhair Bem i can see that throw my user icon on my desktop, and I need to be Local Name BemZ forever,...
  6. Windows 10 Username keep changing between Local name and my MS Account name !!!

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  8. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  9. Change PC name on MS account after changing locally

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change PC name on MS account after changing locally: Hi I bought a new surface and set it up. It doesnt ask for PC name during setup, only after you are in. So now in MS account devices online, the pc name is something like desktop-767shdjs I cant recognize that, so I want to change it for the name I have just given it, a...
  10. MS access to jump drive on local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS access to jump drive on local account: If I am logged on a local account and add a jump drive, does Microsoft have the same 'privacy' access to that drive when I log off local account and then log onto a Microsoft account? In other words, once I log onto MS account, does Microsoft have the same access to data...