Windows 10: Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

Discus and support Access to Ransomware Protection blocked in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've seen multiple articles published recently that mention that Microsoft has built in ransomeware protection in Windows 10 and suggest that you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Moondoggy_451, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

I've seen multiple articles published recently that mention that Microsoft has built in ransomeware protection in Windows 10 and suggest that you can access this protection by specifying "Rasomware Protection" in the search bar. I've done this but when I press enter to access the page it says that that it's not available as my IT administrator has limited the access to the page. Since I'm the administrator of this PC and it's a stand alone PC can anyone explain why my access is being blocked?

:)

Moondoggy_451, Jun 14, 2021
  2. ms609 Win User

Which programs have tried to access protected folders blocked by Windows ransomware defender?

In short: Is it possible to list programs that Windows has denied access to a protected folder?

I recently enabled the Ransomware protection functionality in Windows Defender, adding a series of folders to the Controlled Folder Access list. Some of these folders are under Git version control (via Github Desktop), or synchronised using Syncthing (via SyncTrayzor). I've added the canonical versions of git.exe and syncthing.exe within C:/Program Files to the Allowed App list, but I now receive messages telling me that windows has blocked attempts to access files in protected folders by C:/Users/.../git.exe and C:/Users/.../syncthing.exe.

Annoyingly, the ellipsis hides most of the path to the executable file. A windows search of my user directory eventually turns up a number of copies of git.exe, and it's not immediately clear which of these was trying to edit the files. Ransomware protection's limited user interface means it takes ages to add each file individually, and this seems like a poor security choice: a smart attacker might entitle their malware git.exe to trick me into allowing access.

How can I see the full path of the blocked file (particularly after the notification prompt has disappeared from my screen)?

I can't see anything relevant in the Windows event log.

ms609, Jun 14, 2021
  3. Bree Win User

Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

Problems with Windows Security Ransomware Protection - Solved

Welcome to Ten Forums wgiambatista.

Yes, that is the price you have to pay for Controlled Folder Access (aka ransomware protection) - sometimes you'll need to allow an app that it does not already have on its 'known/trusted' list. But your title should perhaps include the word 'Solved' as you have found out how to allow those apps that may get blocked. And once on the 'allowed' list that app will not be interrupted by ransomware protection again.

Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

Thema:

Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

1. Access to Ransomware Protection blocked - Similar Threads - Access Ransomware Protection

2. ransomware protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ransomware protection: will microsoft defender's ransomware protection work if using avira free antivirus.avira free's ransomware protection is locked behind a paywall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-protection/5c6595fe-f89a-4e70-816c-2aff4929aac5
  3. Windows 10 Real-time protection/ransomware block

Windows 10 Real-time protection/ransomware block: I want to use the Windows 10 Real-time protection/ransomware block yet Windows security will not allow because it states I am using other antivirus providers. Sure, I have Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware yet those programs are the free versions and not providing real-time...
  4. Ransomware Protection keeps blocking svchost.exe

Ransomware Protection keeps blocking svchost.exe: Recently for whatever reason my Ransomware Protection has started to block svchost.exe from %userprofile%\videos? This happens every time I turn on my PC, I also very odd to because last I checked svchost.exe is legitimate host process and this has just started happening out...
  5. Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe

Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe: windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder: %system%\CatRoot -Chome.exe -MRT.exe -powershell.exe -takeown.exe ********** And *********** -mscorsvw.exe (windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder:%system%\config\systemprofile) -attrib.exe (windows Defender block this...
  6. WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection: Windows 10 Home 1909 Protected Memory Access Blocked for WinSAT.exe Protected Folder: \Device\HarddiskVolume3 I have been having problems connecting external hard drives (that's on another thread on this forum) and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? I've...
  7. Ransomware protection

Ransomware protection: That ransomware protection that Windows Defender has might a little to over-protection. When turned on: It will not access save games from Origin and other EA games Uplay seems not the problem I find it really necessary to share this information. It seems like Win Defender...
  8. Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...: When I was on build 1809 with ransomware protection enabled, I only got alerts for 3rd party programs trying to write to the controlled folders. Friday, Windows updated to 1903, and now I'm getting alerts that it is blocking Windows system files and services from protected...
  9. Win 10 Ransomware protection blocks iTunes

Win 10 Ransomware protection blocks iTunes: Enabled Ransomware protection and now iTunes won't open. If I turn it off iTunes opens fine. I assume its because a default folder that iTunes uses (Music?) is part of the protected folders. I use the iTunes program, not the new app that MS recently added to their store. I...
  10. Ransomware Protection?

Ransomware Protection?: Been visiting a website that discusses ransomware and all of the nasty things that can happen, starting to make me paranoid. Data files are backed up and stored offline, but still...So, I am looking for a quality anti-ransomware software package. As I am new to this concept,...