Windows 10: Accessing a deceased family members account

Discus and support Accessing a deceased family members account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My mother passed away almost three years ago and I have been using her old HP laptop. I have had no issues with it as we knew her pin to access the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by artmontague1, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Accessing a deceased family members account

My mother passed away almost three years ago and I have been using her old HP laptop. I have had no issues with it as we knew her pin to access the machine. I recently went back to college and have been using her laptop with no problems until recently when I did a system update. Now the laptop says I cannot use the pin number because security settings have been changed. I have to sign in using my mother's password to access the laptop.

Neither I nor my family know the password. How can I get help with this issue?

:)

artmontague1, Jul 20, 2020
  2. gamoses Win User

broken "family member needs to sign in"

Parental controls stopped working. Family.Microsoft.com has alert: "Your family member needs to sign in to their Windows 10 device AngLaptop2014 for family features to work.

But the "how to fix this" says

• Select Accounts > Family & other people
    • Under Your family, select your family member, then select Allow
    • Have your family member sign in with their Microsoft account if asked to
    And the steps don't apply. The account is already allowed, and there is no option to change that.

Now what???

gamoses, Jul 20, 2020
  3. Windows Hello won't work for a family member account

• Have you applied a group policy? If yes, you may check this article on
      how to resolve the issue.
      • No group policy applied
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
      • It’s a new computer. As soon as I created my administrator account I created a family account for my wife. Everything else works on her account but Windows Hello does not work (the camera).
    • What is the exact error message?
      • I attempted to attach screen shots of each step we have gone through but it would accept Word or PDF files. Is there another way I can get them to you?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve this?
      • I deleted her family member account, created a PC account (with the same results), deleted the PC account and recreated the family member account. No luck with her Windows Hello.
    There is a possibility that the family member account/profile that you have created is corrupted/damaged. We suggest that you try re-configuring the profile.
    (Already did that)

Michael_DS, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Rey Cam Win User

Accessing a deceased family members account

fingergprint log-in for family member

Hi Kristi

Through Windows Hello, you may have your family members register different accounts with their fingerprints.

Once you are signed as the family account administrator, you may follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Choose Family & other users.
    • Add people using the Your family, or Other users options. The only difference between the two is with family, you get an access to child controls, for monitoring and blocking content.

Once your child is logged into his or her own accounts, they can now set up their own
    Windows Hello log-in. Refer to the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Select Windows Hello.
    • Choose Fingerprint, then Set up.

After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Accessing a deceased family members account

1. Accessing a deceased family members account - Similar Threads - Accessing deceased family

2. gaining access to a deceased's account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    gaining access to a deceased's account: How do I turn off the automatic lockout for too many wrong guesses?My mother just died on Sunday, and I'm trying to get into her computer so I can cancel her Amazon Prime subscription and any other paid services. I have her password notebook, but I can't find the login...
  3. gaining access to a deceased's account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    gaining access to a deceased's account: How do I turn off the automatic lockout for too many wrong guesses?My mother just died on Sunday, and I'm trying to get into her computer so I can cancel her Amazon Prime subscription and any other paid services. I have her password notebook, but I can't find the login...
  4. Access deceased account login reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access deceased account login reset: My dad died unexpectedly 2 weeks ago. How can we reset the login on his computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-deceased-account-login-reset/eff34092-33b7-4b76-8a9e-b684ff409d42
  5. Deceased Family Member Account access

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Deceased Family Member Account access: My dad passed away two years ago and my mom has been using his laptop, for two years without issue. Last week it started prompting her to enter a hello pin, which to our knowledge we don't have. The microsoft account is linked to my dad's email, which is no longer active....
  6. lost access to family member account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    lost access to family member account: setup family account using generated password pasted in. clipboard refreshed before password was stored in password manager or used for login. unable to reset password as unable to provide enough information because account has never been used no old passwords, use of...
  7. Need to access a deceased family member's computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need to access a deceased family member's computer: Hi, This year had a family member who died from cancer. I want to access their laptop to clean out the computer, close down any accounts they had and end their email coming in, things like that. Problem is someone tossed out the book that had their passwords including...
  8. Deceased family member

Deceased family member: I want to get into my grandmother's computer to try and find some pictures before i reset her computer. Every attempt at recovering the password has failed saying I don't have enough of her information. I have been on the phone and trying to use the virtual agent for an hour....
  9. Problem with family member account

Problem with family member account: I have the following message on a child family members account Your family member needs to sign in to their Windows 10 device LAPTOP-%%%%%%5 for family features to work. The fix it says it to start, settings, accounts, family and other people under your family, select...
  10. Family members user accounts

Family members user accounts: For some reason the native photos app has got broken on my wife and sons user accounts (both standard accounts). I cannot fix it. On my own administrator account it works fine. There was a recent photos app update which I think is what screwed it up! Anyway I tested creating...