Windows 10: Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup

Discus and support Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed up my system from my computer to cds (five total) and then had the computer (HP Pavilion) reset to factory default settings. How can I access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Olmbre, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Olmbre Win User

Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup

I backed up my system from my computer to cds (five total) and then had the computer (HP Pavilion) reset to factory default settings. How can I access the files that are on the backup disks?

:)

Olmbre, Oct 3, 2019
  2. twilyth Win User

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Reliable backup software for Windows 7?

Thanks. Do you know if Easus ToDo Backup Free offers an option to just preserve the full Windows folder structure, without using some disc image format?

I mean, what happens if Easus ToDo Backup is not upgraded for, say, Windows 11 and I need to access the files in a disc image that I had made on Windows 10?

classic35mm, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Reliable backup software for Windows 7?

If you want to backup to a standard format, Comodo allows it, and I'm sure the rest do as well.. even using 7z or ZIP. The problem you'll find is that they take up more space than proprietary formatting and in my experience take longer as well. I think you're trying to over-complicate something you want to be simple in all honesty man. No offense meant by that, but I feel you're trying too hard to minimize what you backup...what is the size of the data you want to backup?

As I said before, a system image is going to be the largest and easiest, I realize you want to narrow it down and you can do that with pretty much everything suggested here, including Windows Backup. If you were on Windows 8 or newer, it's backup is just a file-for-file backup and between that and shadow copies you'd be set. I really like it for quick and easy access without needing any image software (though Win8+ natively mounts and accesses ISO's). Plus it keeps track of changed files and backs them up using spare/idle resources. Maybe this is the answer you seek...

What's stopping you from upgrading to Windows 10?

Honestly something like Macrium works well even with it's proprietary format for image access, super easy to mount, like an ISO, but you gotta have Macrium installed of course...similar to the rest of these software packages...that's part of their catch. I feel what you ask for doesn't happen any more, it would ruin good marketing opportunities and probably cause infringement on managing backup images with other software...no bueno when bottom lines count.

Kursah, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup - Similar Threads - Accessing backup files

2. Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 Pro and can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings. They're crashing. I tried it in Safe mode also. In Event Viewer I got this:Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time...
  3. Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 Pro and can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings. They're crashing. I tried it in Safe mode also. In Event Viewer I got this:Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time...
  4. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  5. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  6. Windows 10 Backup access

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup access: I had a Windows 10 corruption which forced me to re-install the OS. I have a Windows 10 backup USB drive on which I need access to the file history. The problem is the new OS install automatically created a user profile that doesn't match the profile originally used for...
  7. Burning CD's and Windows Backup

Burning CD's and Windows Backup: I cannot burn files to a CD on my pc. When I open Windows Media Player and try to drag the folder to the burn selection, it will transfer some of the files but not all. It excludes all of the PDF files in the folder. I have never had this problem before. Is there a...
  8. opening a backup from a CD

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening a backup from a CD: I have a cd backup that was done on Window 7 and I am using Windows 10 now. When I put the cd into the computer, I am unable to read what is on the backup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-a-backup-from-a-cd/80badbca-2e35-40e3-a213-fa303677d96f
  9. Backup files in Windows 10

Backup files in Windows 10: Why do I get a daily message to backup my files in Windows 10 when it is set for automatic backup and it shows my last backup as having been completed? * Moved from Insider...
  10. Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup

Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup: Windows 10 backup facility seems to backup to my external hard drive but I can see the files after backup has finished. I have chosen not to hide any files but they still not there...