Windows 10: Accessing Computers Over Home Network

Discus and support Accessing Computers Over Home Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have three computers at home. When all three computers were on Windows 7, sharing was a pain in the...but it worked. Everyone could basically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MB32704, Jul 21, 2019.

1. MB32704 Win User

Accessing Computers Over Home Network

We have three computers at home. When all three computers were on Windows 7, sharing was a pain in the...but it worked. Everyone could basically access everything on everyone else's computers.

Two computers were recently upgraded to Windows 10, one is still on Windows 7. Even after that switch, everyone could still access basically everything.

Recently we revised our home network, and things have gotten worse. I have turned on every possible advanced sharing option on every computer. I have Googled to no avail. Yes, I know that HomeGroup is gone, never used it, or never thought that I was using it. No, sharing files manually, setting up a shared drive or location, or sending them is not an option. It's my own home network, why can't every computer just see, access, modify, save, etc. on every other computer? Why would MS get rid of that functionality? Makes no sense.

OK, off of the soap box, here are the details....

Computer 1 - Windows 10, ethernet

Computer 2 - Windows 7, ethernet

Computer 3 - Windows 10, wifi

Computer 1 can see and access Computer 2, but not Computer 3

Computer 2 can see and access Computers 1 and 3

Computer 3 cannot see or access Computers 1 or 2

Again, I have checked double and triple checked those advanced sharing settings on all three computers, they are all exactly the same and turned on. Obviously there a few differences in those options between Win7 and Win10 but again, it's all turned on, why can't they see and access one another?

Ironically, the only functionality that we depend on right now is the ability for Computer 2 to access and save files to a specific folder on Computer 1, that's it and it's working fine. But I would really like to get sharing working the way that it did before.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

:)

MB32704, Jul 21, 2019
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Unable to access network storage

Hi Pravin,

Network permission is one of the possible reasons why you can't access a drive within a network. To better assist you, we the answers to the following questions:

• Are you working with computers connected to a domain?
    • Did you make any changes on your computer prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest following the steps below to troubleshoot Shared Folders in Windows 10:

• On the Cortana search box, type Troubleshoot
      and select the first result.
    • Scroll down and click on Shared Folders.
    • Click the Run the troubleshooter button.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Accessing Computers Over Home Network - Similar Threads - Accessing Computers Home

2. Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network: I have two desktops on a single private network one running Windows 11 Pro and the other Windows 10 Pro. Using File Manager I can see the Windows 10 machine, but to view the files it requires user credentials. Both machines are connected to the same Microsoft account while I...
  3. Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network: I have two desktops on a single private network one running Windows 11 Pro and the other Windows 10 Pro. Using File Manager I can see the Windows 10 machine, but to view the files it requires user credentials. Both machines are connected to the same Microsoft account while I...
  4. can't access laptop over home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't access laptop over home network: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2 on both a desktop and laptop. The desktop has an ethernet connection to the WiFi/router. The laptop is connected wirelessly. The laptop can see the desktop and access its files. The desktop can see the laptop under >Network in File...
  5. Can't access computers on home network

Can't access computers on home network: I'm setting up a new Dell XPS 8930. Existing home network which uses Workgroup at this point includes a Win7 Dell and a Win8.1 Lenovo. The Win7 will be updated to 10 when this problem is solved. All computers show up on all computers under Network. The Win10 can access the...
  6. Home Network - Starting Over...

Home Network - Starting Over...: I've never gotten my Win10-based home network to operate 100%. Sometimes it works for some computers, other times it just doesn't. I am starting over and want to make sure I get a clean start and possibly get this right! What I have now is an old desktop as my home Hub -...
  7. credentials problem accessing computer on home network

credentials problem accessing computer on home network: Simple version: When I attempt to access computer name Tosh-64 from any other computer on the network, I WAS getting challenged for a user name and p/w. I kept getting 'wrong uname or p/w. Made a big mistake and tried MS account credentials. It's a local account and of course...
  8. Cannot get access to the computers on Home network

Cannot get access to the computers on Home network: I haven’t been able to get access to other computers on my home wifi network since the last Windows 10 update. I receive an error message: you do not have permission to access (a particular computer). Contact administrator to request access. Any help is appreciated Windows...
  9. Access to another computer on my home network.

Access to another computer on my home network.: When trying to access a second computer I'm required to enter a user name and password. There are no user names and/or passwords on any of my computers. What now?...
  10. Windows 10 Computer not accessing home network

Windows 10 Computer not accessing home network: One of the Windows 10 computers on my home network is not accessing other computers on the network even though I have checked no password required in advanced settings. Can anyone help me?...