Windows 10: Accessing default shares

Discus and support Accessing default shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 PCs on the same home network and I can't access the default shares on either one of them, I keep getting 'Access denied'. Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WebMaximus, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Accessing default shares

I have two Windows 10 PCs on the same home network and I can't access the default shares on either one of them, I keep getting 'Access denied'.

Any ideas?

:)

WebMaximus, Aug 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro Admin Share - C$

The share is the default admin share. The account I am trying to access it with is a Domain Admin. It is all default. I appreciate the information.

Joe Reyes_TCUC, Aug 5, 2015
  3. cdd101 Win User
    Please Help- Accessing Network Shares on XP Professional from Win Mobile 6 via Wifi After Improving Security

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I don't want to create a new thread on an existing topic!

I am having the same problem on by Vodafone branded HTC TYTN II. I have a second identical phone on which I have done a factory reset and this prompts for a logon, but my phone doesn't. I don't want to have to wipe and re-build my phone unless there really
    are no other options. Besides, I don't think I should have to wipe the handset just to enter some credentials!

If anybody has a solution to this I would be grateful!

Regards,

Chris

cdd101, Aug 5, 2015
  4. evansnp Win User

Accessing default shares

When you shared the folders, did you then go to the security tab to allow users?

evansnp, Aug 5, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Local accounts / Ms accounts or a mixture.

It makes a difference.
    Different solutions for each scenario.

After bootup too you might have to get into Network on File explorer and hit Refresh a few times -- Network connection sometimes drops out if you haven't used either machine for a while. (Windows problem --not ISP / Router one).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Thanks but that's not applicable for default shares since you can't modify the permissions (or at least not in the normal way).

WebMaximus, Aug 5, 2015
  7. I've tried using both MS and local accounts but not a mixture of both. Regardless I'm not able to access \\computer\c$ for example.

When I tried this with local accounts I used the normal syntax for the username (computer\user) and when using my MS account I wasn't sure what syntax to use so I went with the email address associated with my MS account.

Neither method worked and I got 'Access denied' in both cases so I would very much like to understand how this is supposed to work in Win10. Clearly things changed vs previous versions of Windows because I never had a problem accessing default shares before.

WebMaximus, Aug 5, 2015
  8. linw Win User

Accessing default shares

Can't do it here, either, but I am not really surprised as that sort of access seems to bypass conscious efforts to control who can access what.

linw, Aug 6, 2015
  9. To a certain degree I agree but when having two computers on your own home network I think it's really convenient being able to easily access all drives and files on both computers regardless what computer you're in front of, to be able to copy and move files between the computers etc.

If MS decided to remove this functionality I don't understand why they kept the default shares in the first place.

WebMaximus, Aug 6, 2015
  10. there are no such things as "default shares" you really need to be more specific on the exact share you are trying to access.
    Public folders are the only shares that windows defaults out and even then its iffy i dont even see any public shares in my windows 10 machine, in fact NOTHING is shared when i click my computer in the network. if i create a share it does show up. but since Windows 10 is worse than Windows 8 for accessing SMB shares, good luck, i fight it all night at home and our testing at the office for our machines we will be shipping to customers is just insane, our program will puke it 100 times a day on windows 10 because it never is able to access a shared folder for very long then it breaks for no reason.

if you are in a homegroup you also need to setup the 2nd PC on the same homegroup with the same password as the 1st PC.

if you didnt create any shares by right clicking a folder or file and sharing it out with 'Everyone' or specific users and set the read/write permissions then windows has nothing to share.
    homegroup's will setup shares based on what you told it but since homegroups are the most rediculous thing to come out of Windows since WinME, i cant help you with that.

cyberlunacy, Aug 6, 2015
  11. Windows 10 does have the same so called default shares as every previous version of Windows have had. If you go to manage your PC you'll find them under the Shares section and by default they are IPC$ and your drive(s) such as c$, d$ and so on. The reason you don't see them is the $ sign at the end of the name indicating it's a hidden share.

However in Windows 10 they obviously changed something since it doesn't seem to be possible accessing these in the same way you could in previous versions of Windows (Windows 8 excluded since I never tried that version).

Both my computers belong to the same workgroup and are on the same network.

WebMaximus, Aug 6, 2015
  12. I am not in front of my pc so you will have to provide proof that those ancient windows 98 admin shares are still active in windows 10. Those were disabled and not even viewable since xp days. Let alone vista 7 8 and now 10.
    plus those are a huge security risk which was plugged up long ago last I knew those had to be enabled and heavily altered on the permissions to even access them.

no offense but you would be foolish to even want to use those shares. All someone needs is an open port on your router and they are in and all over your shares, not just shared but full on full open admin shares.

just share your files like you are supposed to and they will show up. I shared my storage drive and set access to an account and I was able to view them and log into the share and do what I needed to.
    set access to everyone and its viewable to everyone.

dont you suppose they are not viewable for a very good reason?

miscrosoft account login excluded, that whole thing is just a lost cause.

cyberlunacy, Aug 6, 2015
  13. Accessing default shares

I wont edit my previous post as I can admit when I am wrong.
    so I am in front of my pc and yup stupid windows still has admin shares there by default. they truly serve no purpose in a normal machine.

but someone please correct me if I am wrong those were disabled and inaccessible by default years ago. you actually had to go and enable them and I imagine the standard security policy in windows 10 has them disabled since there is no option to enable or disable them openly in windows.

I stand by my previous statement though, those haven't been accessible, by default, for ages that I have ever tried to access and it is truly foolish to leave them enabled, not just a user stand point but an enabled admin share is a hackers wet dream because they have unrestricted access to your C drive. just share the C drive and what not and share it out properly and it will be usable the way it should be.

cyberlunacy, Aug 6, 2015
  14. linw Win User
    You can see them on the machine you are sitting at with \\compname\c$ for example.

If you don't take any action to add shares, there is a default share with win 10. It is 'Users'. Surprised me, too.

15. For anyone else with the same question I had how to use/enable the default shares on a Win10 machine I found what you need to do (other than the obvious things like enabling file & print sharing etc) is to create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and set it to '1'.

After you did this exit out of the registry and reboot the computer and you should be fine. Just tried it myself and using my MS account on both machines I didn't even have to enter my credentials...very convenient!

WebMaximus, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

Accessing default shares

1. Accessing default shares - Similar Threads - Accessing default shares

2. Quick Access sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access sharing: I really do like quick access. We are moving away from mapped drives to using quick access. The only thing I can't figure out is if there is a way for the quick access to follow me from device to device, kind of like how Edge syncs browser stuff on different devices....
  3. Ubuntu Share not accessible

Ubuntu Share not accessible: I have a Ubuntu pc in my network that acts as a Server for my files. I could access the samba share normally until a few days ago but now I can't access the share anymore. When I try to connect it, I get an error saying "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to: \\ip\name...
  4. Share Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share Access: I have a curious, but intermittent issue. And it would be the CEO PC that is affected. The site consists of several servers 2012 and 2016 and about 15 Windows 10 Pro client machines. One of the server Windows 2016 running as a Remote Desktop Server. It's in place for an...
  5. cant access shares

cant access shares: hello? can any one help me? not one person, employee or not, paid support or not can resolve this. Get no answers on here. Pay for support, nothing. MS support, nope So i am trying here once again. CAn not access shares. No reason why....
  6. Shared drive access

Shared drive access: Hello, I am trying to access a shared drive I have created on another PC recently but whenever I click on the desktop on the network it ask for credentials despite me already ticking the box to turn off password protection in the settings. I have done the trouble shooter...
  7. Cannot access default Microsoft Windows hidden shares

Cannot access default Microsoft Windows hidden shares: Hello, Can someone helpme? I have a problem where when I want to access a shared folder from a remote computer like\\ip_remote\c$ it can't. Even though I have entered the username and password correctly. If I access the share folder from a remote computer I create...
  8. Sharing and Access

Sharing and Access: The setup: Three computers on a local WI-FI network. Attempting to grant full access from each computer to the other two. The C drives in all three computers are shared with full permission. Network discovery is enabled and other necessary settings in "network and sharing...
  9. Default Folders Sharing Path

Default Folders Sharing Path: Hello everyone! I was trying to set up a brand new laptop to store the default folders (Pictures, Videos and Music) in the D: drive instead of the C: drive as it is larger. Unfortunately, I must have set the folders on the same path, and now I can't separate them. Now, they...
  10. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...