Windows 10: Accessing documents in Onedrive

Discus and support Accessing documents in Onedrive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Apparently, I misunderstand something pretty basic about Onedrive. Let's say I log into Onedrive from my home computer and upload a file to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dave1310, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Dave1310 Win User

Accessing documents in Onedrive

Apparently, I misunderstand something pretty basic about Onedrive.

Let's say I log into Onedrive from my home computer and upload a file to the Onedrive "Documents" folder.

Then, I go to a different device and log into Onedrive using the same credentials as I used on my home computer. The "Documents" folder is not visible.

My guess is that Onedrive does not recognize me as the owner of my file because I'm on a different device. What do I do about this? I thought the idea was to access files from anywhere from any device. Isn't my login sufficient to establish ownership?

What am I missing?

:)

Dave1310, Jan 14, 2020

2. Prooblems accessing documents

Hi Jilly,

Generally, the Documents folder found under Quick access is the Documents folder built-in to Windows, and not the Documents folder in OneDrive. Since you mentioned that both This PC and OneDrive are giving you the "Location is not available." message,
    do you mean to say that both Documents folders are missing from Quick access?

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, you are accessing your Documents through This PC, instead of Quick access. Have you tried pinning the Documents folder from This PC to Quick access? If not, we suggest that you do. This way, you won't need to
    go through several folders to reach your files.

Here's how:

• Access the contents of of the user account that you're using, in your case, it's the
      jilly folder from This PC > OS (CAccessing documents in Onedrive :) >
      Users > jilly.
    • Right-click on Documents, and then select Pin to Quick access.

Regarding the OneDrive folder, we suggest restoring the Documents folder from the OneDrive recycle bin so we can avoid further errors. You may refer to this
    support article for steps on how to restore deleted files and folders
    in OneDrive.

Is your OneDrive synced to your Windows 10 PC? If so, you can try to restore the Documents folder from
    http://onedrive.live.com. Steps on how to restore deleted files and folders can be found in this
    support article under the
    Restore deleted items section.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Help - OneDrive/Quick Access bypass not working

Sorry for the late reply. I missed your post somehow. *Sad

By default, the Documents from the Start list opens to Documents in This PC. The Documents folder in This PC is just a link of your "C:\Users\(user-name)\Documents" folder though.

Since it opens to your OneDrive location instead, it sounds like you have Documents set to save to OneDrive by default. You can use the same steps in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below to set Documents to save to the default This PC only again.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Accessing documents in Onedrive [​IMG]

Brink, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Accessing documents in Onedrive

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Accessing documents in Onedrive

1. Accessing documents in Onedrive - Similar Threads - Accessing documents Onedrive

2. "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive: I got a new hard drive and now when I go to File Explorer, the "Documents" folder is not pointing to the directory in OneDrive that it did before. In the past, "Documents" showed up in "Quick access," and when I went into it, it would open a directory on my OneDrive, "mls...
  3. "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive: I got a new hard drive and now when I go to File Explorer, the "Documents" folder is not pointing to the directory in OneDrive that it did before. In the past, "Documents" showed up in "Quick access," and when I went into it, it would open a directory on my OneDrive, "mls...
  4. "Quick access > Documents" No Longer Points to the Proper Directory on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive: I have windows 11 pro. I recently unlinked OneDrive from my PC. Now my Quick Access no longer shows the shortcut to C:\Users\tanya\OneDrive\Documents. I tried to manually add the shortcut back to Quick Access, but nothing happens. The only way to get back to...
  6. Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive: I have windows 11 pro. I recently unlinked OneDrive from my PC. Now my Quick Access no longer shows the shortcut to C:\Users\tanya\OneDrive\Documents. I tried to manually add the shortcut back to Quick Access, but nothing happens. The only way to get back to...
  7. Onedrive documents

Onedrive documents: I uninstalled Onedrive from my computer as per usual as I don't like it running in the background and also just having its own folders. This time though the documents folder of the computer and pictures folder of the computer are both by default a directory in Onedrive for...
  8. Accessing documents

Accessing documents: When I try to open any document, Word, Excel, pdf etc, either from Windows Explorer or use one of the "Quick Launch" links, I get an error message: "Windows cannot find 'C\[file path]' Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again" I have run "scf" as...
  9. OneDrive and my Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive and my Documents: I am trying to keep my document locally on my PC, but their set to be stored on the OneDrive. When I right click [Document] from [File Explorer], and look at [Documents] [Properties], the [Location] is C:\Users\terry\OneDrive\Document. I do not want [Document] on the...
  10. Document Link and OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Document Link and OneDrive: The documents link in my Start Menu points to OneDrive, as of this moment I have found no way to make it point to my documents. Any idea's? Thanks alan 8873