Windows 10: Accessing external drive

Discus and support Accessing external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I put an external memory stick into the PC. A window tells me I have to reformat it. Why? Never did before. I click to start reformatting, Another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AlfredCorn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Accessing external drive

I put an external memory stick into the PC. A window tells me I have to reformat it. Why? Never did before. I click to start reformatting, Another window say reformatting will erase all the memory. Then how the hell do I access the files on it? This is nuts. Anybody got a hack?

:)

AlfredCorn, Jul 15, 2020

2. Can't Access Either of My External Drives After 14393

Hi Michael,

To better assist you with your concern, I would like to ask if you're getting any error messages when accessing your external drives? If yes, can you provide us with the exact error message?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Click on USB Mass Storage.
    • Right click on your USB, and then click on Update Driver Software.
    • Once done, check if you can access your external drives.

Regards.

Ruizell Rey, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Accessing external drive

External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Accessing external drive

1. Accessing external drive - Similar Threads - Accessing external drive

2. Non Accessable external drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non Accessable external drives: My sysytem is telling me that I do not have permissions and my external drives are unaccessable. This is an old office computer, so my previous company stopped updates. How can I get acccess to my external drives?...
  3. External drive - Access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive - Access denied: Trying to use my drive like I normally do but when I connect it, it goes in and out like noises of it connecting and disconnecting noises. When I go to disk management and make sure it's initialized it says access denied, tried unplugging and replugging and the drive will...
  4. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    limit external drive access: I keep most files photo, music, video on an external solid state drive. My desktop PC runs Windows 10. How would I prevent another user of the PC, with a standard local account, from accessing the contents of this external drive? thank you...
  5. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    limit external drive access: I keep most files photo, music, video on an external solid state drive. My desktop PC runs Windows 10. How would I prevent another user of the PC, with a standard local account, from accessing the contents of this external drive? thank you...
  6. external drive access

external drive access: I have a U32 Shadow Portable Drive attached to my W10 desktop. I would like to restrict access to this drive for other accounts on the PC. I've tried the method shown here https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8035/how-to-restrict-access-to-drive-in-my-computer-on-windows/ and...
  7. External drive not accessible

External drive not accessible: I have reformatted a drive I used with my Mac to use NTFS only as I intend to use it purely on Windows. My laptop recognises/sees the drive but when I double click to open it it tells me that access is denied. I then reformatted it again via Disk Management, which took...
  8. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. access to external drives

access to external drives: I am unable to access my CD drive and USB that I plugged in. It brings an error of its not accessible. My laptop is a HP product and is windows 10. Kindly help. Thank you....