Windows 10: Accessing external hard drives in a VM

Discus and support Accessing external hard drives in a VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have always had a bit of an issue accessing my second hard drive (in a dvd caddy) on my laptop when I clean install to a VM (in Hyper-V for sure -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Mar 20, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Accessing external hard drives in a VM

I have always had a bit of an issue accessing my second hard drive (in a dvd caddy) on my laptop when I clean install to a VM (in Hyper-V for sure - but also in VMware from memory) as I always have to install specific AMD drivers (same happens if I clean install to host) as the installer installs the MS standard SATA controller drivers and I have to manually install the AMD controller drivers.

I can then see the second drive in the VM (assuming I set up VM to access external drives).

However, having found I get speed issues copying files to these external drives, and now I simply make the external drives shareable over my local area network, and I can see the drives as network shares regardless of whether I install an AMD SATA controller in the VM. The major plus for me is it is much faster as well.

So in simple terms, no real need to attach external drives to a VM - just make the external network drives shareable (use password if required).

This gets round one issue I had with VMware i.e. if drive was being accessed by VM, you could not access it via Host. Hyper-V does not have that restriction.

:)

cereberus, Mar 20, 2017
  2. AlWilcox Win User

Failure to install on SSD

1. Yes. Partition created and formatted. I am currently using the same drive for Linux, and it works fine. Tried to reformat and load Windows prior to Linux, but Windows cant find the drive.

2. Yes. Would like to use a local hard drive rather than VM drive for data storage and access. My backup drive is a USB.

3. USB issue is specific to Linux with Oracle VM.

AlWilcox, Mar 20, 2017
  3. External Hard Drive access

In that screen you have there, click "Advanced" and then "Find Now" in the next popup. That will give you a list of all the user accounts on your computer. Pick yourself to be the new owner, then OK / OK / OK until all the boxes are saved. Now that
    you're the owner, you should be able to enter it.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 20, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

with VMWARE you don't need to install required drivers for HDD's to the VM - so long as the drivers are working on the HOST - then simply attach the specific device to the VM via the VMware main menu

For example I've got a 4 HDD enclosure which I'm using as a Linux software RAID device -- my VM simply sees the 4 HDD's as a 10 TB Raid 0 array. The device uses a USB-->ATAPI/SATA bridge which is simply attached to the VM as shown

Accessing external hard drives in a VM [​IMG]

You can see the 4 HDD's (marked md) are compounded into a 10 TB array (md127)

I'll bet a million dollars to a bucket full of the brown smelly stuff that a decent RAID 0 is going to be zillions of times faster than acessing HDD's over a network !!!!!!

Linux Software raid is VERY efficient (mdadm) - and by using ext4 file system you avoid the overhead of windows file system (ntfs).

I use this for serving multi-media, other files and backups so I don't really need to share specifically with windows but SAMBA is the best way of doing that.

The file browser shows a single 10 TB device

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 21, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Hi Jimbo,

I know you can attach external hdds via menu - done it many times. The issue I always had was when you do that hdd is not available in Host whilst running vm.

I assume this is not an issue if you use network shares

cereberus, Mar 22, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

No problem

simply start SAMBA and then Windows networking can see it OK - even if you've formatted the drive as EXT4 -- the SAMBA protocol (SMB / CIFS) will do all the file conversions.

Note you can also easily share SAMBA HDD's etc between Linux systems / android too --simply on the remote Linux system (same for a VM as a Physical system) as root or sudo issue command similar to :

mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD //192.168.1.88/shares /mnt/share

where shares is the directory share defined in your smb.config file, the ip address is the IP address of your remote machine (probably like 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx,) and /mnt.xxxx is where you want to mount the device on your local machine (VM or physical).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 22, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I think we are talking crossed wires here - I was talking about running windows in vm as well as host.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Accessing external hard drives in a VM - Similar Threads - Accessing external hard

2. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  3. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  4. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  5. Accessing c drive on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing c drive on external hard drive: I really don't know how to explain this. But I have 2 computers. A desktop, and a laptop. The desktop had a lot of dust and one of the fans has blown and an electrical smell from the fan area started. I turned the computer off right away.Later, I removed the hard disk drive...
  6. External hard drive access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive access denied: I cannot access my external hard drive. I was able to previously, after creating a new volume using Disk Management. I moved about 500GB of personal data and since I was able to access it, I deleted the original copy, so what's in the drive is the only copy of the data and I...
  7. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  8. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  9. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...