Windows 10: accessing files on old server

Discus and support accessing files on old server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an old server that I want to get some information from. I have plugged it into power and connected it to my wifi router via an ethernet cable. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ColinSharp1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. accessing files on old server

I have an old server that I want to get some information from. I have plugged it into power and connected it to my wifi router via an ethernet cable. I then want to be able to access the server's files on my laptop, Is this possible?

:)

ColinSharp1, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Ross211 Win User

Remote access to my (local) server's folders

But what if he tries to access this mapped drive when he is not on the same subnet of his server ?

Ross211, Mar 3, 2019
  3. AM*
    Am* Win User
    Uber file server build -- suggestions

Uber file server build -- suggestions?

I'm currently in the process of buying stuff for my file server build. Going to try and keep this build all in one thread this time.

Stuff already bought:

• Motherboard (socket 1155 H61)
      RAM (1600MHz)
      PCI SATA cards
      Operating System (Windows 8 + FreeNAS)
      SSD
      CPU (35w Pentium Ivybridge 2.6GHz)
    Looking for suggestions on:

• GPU -- use the on-die GPU or buy a PCI-E graphics card (was thinking of a 7750)? My only requirement is that it is able to run 1080p mkv files and play Blurays without a problem.
      Case -- needs to hold as many 3.5" drives as humanly possible (more than 10 at least), while not being too expensive
      PSU -- needs to be able to run over 40 SATA HDDs as well as 6xPCI RAID cards and 1xPCI-E 2.0 RAID card. Silver, Gold or Platinum?
      CPU Cooler -- fanless or not?
      Case fans
    That's all I can think of for now...unless I'm forgetting something...oh and one more thing -- I will be buying the hard drives two at a time as I run out of space. Also the PCI-E RAID card will be bought a lot later down the line, as I've only just got enough hard drives for 1 out of 6 of my PCI SATA cards.

Any suggestions, feel free to post. Thanks

4. newtekie1 Win User

accessing files on old server

Remote access to my (local) server's folders

• Set up an FTP server on your file server.
    • Map the FTP server as a network location on your laptop under "Computer".
    This will allow programs to open and save files directly to the FTP server just like it was a drive in your computer.

newtekie1, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

accessing files on old server

1. accessing files on old server - Similar Threads - accessing files old

2. Old file/partition access?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old file/partition access?: Ok so I am working on a laptop for a lady in my neighborhood. It's for her daycare but I had to replace the screen but when her laptop fell at her daycare it messed up the windows 10 she was using so I had to reinstall windows also. Her ssd passed all tests as well as other...
  3. Old file/partition access?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old file/partition access?: Ok so I am working on a laptop for a lady in my neighborhood. It's for her daycare but I had to replace the screen but when her laptop fell at her daycare it messed up the windows 10 she was using so I had to reinstall windows also. Her ssd passed all tests as well as other...
  4. Old file/partition access?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. accessing old download directory files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accessing old download directory files.: I recently had to replace my 1TB hard drive due to a boot sector problem. Installed a new one and loaded Win10 back to it., works great. There were some downloaded programs on my old hard drive Turbotax that I wanted to get so I installed the old defective drive as a...
  6. accessing old download directory files.

accessing old download directory files.: I recently had to replace my 1TB hard drive due to a boot sector problem. Installed a new one and loaded Win10 back to it., works great. There were some downloaded programs on my old hard drive Turbotax that I wanted to get so I installed the old defective drive as a...
  7. accessing old download directory files.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  8. Accessing file server through different name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing file server through different name: Dear All,Currently i am accessing my file server through server name and are SSO through kerberos. Recently, i have onboarded a GSLB solution which are supposed to failover between my DC and DR. however i get an error when i perform the failover. upon troubleshooting, i...
  9. Accessing file server through different name

Accessing file server through different name: Dear All,Currently i am accessing my file server through server name and are SSO through kerberos. Recently, i have onboarded a GSLB solution which are supposed to failover between my DC and DR. however i get an error when i perform the failover. upon troubleshooting, i...
  10. Onedrive interferes with accessing old files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive interferes with accessing old files: I briefly downloaded onedrive to my desktop and I was no longer able to find the files I'd saved- photos and documents. I only find onedrive folders which are empty. Since then I've removed onedrive from my computer but it still is the default setting for storage and I still...