Windows 10: Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs

Discus and support Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This was simple with Homegroups!!! Now, I am trying to access folders on three machines (on Dell, two Surfaces all running Win10). I have set up the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GILPKE00, Nov 24, 2019.

1. GILPKE00 Win User

Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs

This was simple with Homegroups!!! Now, I am trying to access folders on three machines (on Dell, two Surfaces all running Win10). I have set up the advanced sharing settings to share all and not require a password. All 3 C: drives are selected for sharing. I have been all over my settings and see nothing wrong. My Explorer will show all three devices and when selected will show the shared drives/folders but when I click on a drive or folder I get the following:

Network Error
    Windows cannot access "PC Name"\c
    You do not have permission to access \\....\C. Contact your network administrator to request access.
    For more information about permissions, see Windows
    Help and Support

Windows Help and Support was useless....and I am set up as administrator for all three devices. It also appears that options keep changing....as I have had to repeatedly reset some settings when I go back to review.....not actually sure if stuff I am doing is cancelling changes but 5 hours at this is enough for me. There is no reason this has to be so hard.

:)

GILPKE00, Nov 24, 2019
  2. groston Win User

Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up...

All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the users/passwords are consistent across all machines. From my Win7 desktop, I:
    • Can access my Win10 machine, via Explorer, using its IP address
    • Can ping the Win10 machine using both its name and IP address
    • Cannot access the Win10 machine, via Explorer, using its name

From the Win10 machine, I can see all other computers on the network and access all of them.

I do not believe that this is a firewall issue as the issue persists when the firewall is disabled. I do believe that network and file sharing is enabled (but, I could be wrong). The issue exists with both the Ethernet and WiFi connections, so it is probably not interface-specific.

Please suggest what I can do to resolve this issue. Thx.

groston, Nov 24, 2019
  3. BXtreme Win User
    how to remove a pc from workgroup

i've run up in a problem...I was setting up a wlan with another pc from my new insp 1520 and ended up setting it right but with the exception of making an invalid entry in the pc's workgroup showing a "computer not found on the network". Now how can I remove it! ANy suggestions ??? *Confused Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs :confused: OR HIDE IT PLZ!

BXtreme, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs

No access to newly "upgraded" windows 10 PC from the network

I recently upgraded our win8 computer to win10. This computer needs to have it's files available to other winNT computers on the network. The win10 computer's name is SPRINGER3 on a Workgroup named MILA. The only user account on the win10 computer is SCOTT
    w/ no password. The win10 computer can lookout and access other computers. The winNT machines see SPRINGER3 in the list of computers on the network but are denied access.

grmichmush, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs

1. Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs - Similar Threads - Accessing files Workgroup

2. Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC: Hi, I have problem to access a file share with the local user credential from a domain joined PC. I map the file share through network drive and select different user the login prompt shows up but the credential never get pass. Is it anything wrong that I do?...
  3. Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access file share on a workgroup server from a domain PC: Hi, I have problem to access a file share with the local user credential from a domain joined PC. I map the file share through network drive and select different user the login prompt shows up but the credential never get pass. Is it anything wrong that I do?...
  4. Workgroup PCs using network printers getting Access Denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Workgroup PCs using network printers getting Access Denied: Hi all, I have a network that is a workgroup with a 2019 File and Print Server. I am having all kinds of weird issues. I can add printers to the PCs in most cases without issue and they connect and can print, but then after a day or so all of the printers connected via the...
  5. Workgroup access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workgroup access: My desktop running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 connects to router via Ethernet. My laptop running Windows 10 Home 20H2 connects to router via WiFi. Both have been moved to the same novel workgroup name. On "This PC" under "Network", the laptop can see the desktop, but the desktop...
  6. Can't access my files on Workgroup network computer

Can't access my files on Workgroup network computer: I just finished with your latest update and now when I click on the link to my external drive I get a pop-up that asks for my credentials?? WHAT CREDENTIALS?? I never set up a password to access my remote files. When I leave that field (password in the credentials dialog box)...
  7. Not able to do workgroup-based sharing between Win10 PCs

Not able to do workgroup-based sharing between Win10 PCs: History: Have a Win8.1 desktop that I have been using as a "file-server" by sharing the drives as read (for Everyone) and sharing a folder on each drive as Read/Write (for Everyone). This has been working fine -- after I manually added NETWORK to the security and sharing...
  8. After KB4058043, cannot access workgroup

After KB4058043, cannot access workgroup: Everything was working until I installed KB4058043. I do not know if that was a coincidence or not, but after the reboot, I cannot access any of the computers on my workgroup. I do use Kaspersky anti-virus (reinstalled it just in case). I do see this: [img]...
  9. access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan

access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan: A LAN has two win7pro pcs, a new win10Home laptop (replacing an older machine) and other laptops. The two win7pro pcs and the new win10 laptop form a development system for database/app/webapp software, and must be able to create & write files to most any folder on any of the...
  10. Windows 10 not accessible on Workgroup

Windows 10 not accessible on Workgroup: Hello I have a workgroup of 3 computers 1 Windows 7 2 Windows 10 Same workgroup name for each computer From My Windows 7 Machine I set-up the sharing Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings I have Amin...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to set my win10 pcs windows credentials