Windows 10: Accessing NAS from task schedlued to run under SYSTEM

Discus and support Accessing NAS from task schedlued to run under SYSTEM in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying determine if a (non-Microsoft) product creates a security exposure. In order to do this I need to run a task under "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Accessing NAS from task schedlued to run under SYSTEM

I'm trying determine if a (non-Microsoft) product creates a security exposure. In order to do this I need to run a task under "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". My first step was to create a task that accesses a public share on NAS and schedule it to run under SYSTEM. (I'm not really interested in access to the public share, but I needed to make sure the task works before worrying about network credentials.) My test is to perform an RCOPY of a directory from the public share to a local drive. The RCOPY uses the UNC rather than a drive letter.

I get "ERROR 58 (0x0000003A) Accessing Source Directory \\<server name>\Public\Test\Data\
    The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

If I run the task under my own id I have no problem so I know it's not the server's fault. I am not using "Run with highest authority" under either id (if that matters).

Any idea why access to a public share would fail?

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 22, 2018

2. Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Jun 22, 2018
  3. Window's Task Scheduler Not Running

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Have you tried recreating the task? If so, are you getting the same issue?
    • Have you tried creating a new task?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you ensure that the Task Scheduler is running. You can verify if the service is running by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Services (Local), make sure that the Task Scheduler service's status is
      Started or Enabled.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jun 22, 2018
  4. Gino Des Win User

Accessing NAS from task schedlued to run under SYSTEM

Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Jun 22, 2018
Thema:

Accessing NAS from task schedlued to run under SYSTEM

1. Accessing NAS from task schedlued to run under SYSTEM - Similar Threads - Accessing NAS task

2. Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers: Inconsistent access to NAS file shares QNAP from Windows 10 DomainWhile there are more than just 2 machines in our environment, I will refer to a few as:Machine-1 : Everything works FineMachine-2 : Inconsistent Access to NASALL network settings with the exception of the...
  3. Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers: Inconsistent access to NAS file shares QNAP from Windows 10 DomainWhile there are more than just 2 machines in our environment, I will refer to a few as:Machine-1 : Everything works FineMachine-2 : Inconsistent Access to NASALL network settings with the exception of the...
  4. Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to access HDD from a NAS locally

Trying to access HDD from a NAS locally: my brother has a NAS and has forgotten the login details (duh) cant reset the device as he will lose his data therefore I have taken the HDD out and put it into a HDD caddy to connect locally to my laptop however as it was a NAS the disk is formatted in a certain format and...
  6. Access to NAS from laptop

Access to NAS from laptop: Hello, I recently bought a NAS (Helios4) running on openmediavault. I installed the OS in the NAS, I then followed all the procedures to install openmediavault but I do not manage to see the NAS among my networks. I can enter the NAS from my pc by typing its IP and make...
  7. Accessing NAS from task scheduler to run under SYSTEM

Accessing NAS from task scheduler to run under SYSTEM: I'm trying determine if a (non-Microsoft) product creates a security exposure. In order to do this I need to run a task under "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". My first step was to create a task that accesses a public share on NAS and schedule it to run under SYSTEM. (I'm not really...
  8. Cannot access NAS from One User

Cannot access NAS from One User: Hello! Yesterday, I came back to my computer, only to find I cannot access my NAS. I went on another computer in my house, attached through LAN and it worked. I also went to another user on my computer and it worked, but on my user it did not. Naturally, I tested and...
  9. Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer: I have 2 NAS drives connected to my network, one is a Buffalo NAS and the other is a LaCie NAS. When I try to access the NAS on my Windows 10 Pro PCs, I get a message stating Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can access the management console for...
  10. Running programs from NAS

Running programs from NAS: Ever since installing Windows 10 (clean) I'm facing several network related issues. Before going in depth I'd like to figure out if it's a problem with my PC or if it's a problem with Windows 10 in general. I'll just stick to one problem for now. I have a Synology NAS and...