Windows 10: Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer

Discus and support Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a problem accessing mapped network drive graphically. That is, I go to command prompt, input command like net use z: \\1.2.3.4\myfiles... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KilpArt, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer

I have a problem accessing mapped network drive graphically. That is, I go to command prompt, input command like net use z: \\1.2.3.4\myfiles /user:myusername mypassword /persistent:Yes which works nicely from command line: I can access Z, I can see the files with dir-command and I can delete the mapping and I can map it again. No problem at all.

How do I make it work graphically? If I open Windows Explorer and try to access z:\ from there, I get error "Windows can't find 'Z:'. Check the spelling and try again.". In other words, these doesn't correlate directly. One would think it doesn't matter a slightest bit what UI is used to access the newly mapped Z-drive, but obviously the difference is very relevant.

submitted by /u/KilpArt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KilpArt, Oct 22, 2020
  2. NDarkstar Win User

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, Oct 22, 2020
  3. fatpat Win User
    Mapped Drives Issues

To clarify .... the issue is the Windows 10 OS. It is with Windows File Explorer. The Mapped drives used to appear in File Explorer's left panel list of drives and folders. Two days ago File explorer stopped show the mapped drives. so not they don;t appear in the list of Drives and folders.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, it has no effect. I also check the NAS devices they support SMB 2.0. Also I have several other computers on my home network they work fine with the mapped drives and They do not have SMB 1 turned on. So it is something that happened to the computer in question.

fatpat, Oct 22, 2020
  4. WacoJohn Win User

Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer

W10-32 explorer stops responding on mapped drive access.

If I wait long enough ... several minutes, it seems to access ... finally. Copying files from mapped drive ... same thing ... stops responding but wait long enough and it happens. No such problems with other machines on network. No such problem in the past (worked fine at one time).

W10-32 v. 1909 Build 18363.535
    Network drive mapped to M:
    DISM and SFC routines to not reveal any problems.

Now, it gets really weird. UNmap drive. Open Explorer. Network drive not found under NETWORK, but still shows as a mapped drive. See screenshot.

Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer [​IMG]

I really don't think this is right. If UNMAPPED .. should not show this way. It should show in NETWORK since it is shared. If I click on it as shows AS mapped, Explorer opens it, and it does not stop responding. Access to the drive works perfectly.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

EDIT: Fixed it.

1. Correct file corruption with chkdsk /f
    2. Follow the steps below:

Go to gpedit.msc
    Under Group policy editor access the following :-
    ->Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation
    ->"Enable insecure guest logons"

#Go to services.msc
    The following should to set to Automatic[Delayed Start]
    ->Function Discovery Provider Host
    ->Function Discovery Resource Publication

#Go to Programs and features
    Under Turn on Windows Features
    ->SMB-1.0 File sharing and support all three items should be enabled.

Thank you Netgear Gearhead support.

WacoJohn, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer

1. Accessing network mapped drive from Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Accessing network mapped

2. Very slow access to mapped network drives in Explorer and Office Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow access to mapped network drives in Explorer and Office Apps: I know this issue has been raised on many websites, many times. However, I still have not found a solution. I have tried every registry change and service verification, going so far as to doing a clean install of Windows.I have two very fast Synology NAS devices on my network...
  3. Very slow access to mapped network drives in Explorer and Office Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow access to mapped network drives in Explorer and Office Apps: I know this issue has been raised on many websites, many times. However, I still have not found a solution. I have tried every registry change and service verification, going so far as to doing a clean install of Windows.I have two very fast Synology NAS devices on my network...
  4. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  5. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  6. File Explorer crashes or freezes while accessing Mapped Network Drives

in Windows 10 News
    File Explorer crashes or freezes while accessing Mapped Network Drives: [ATTACH]If File Explorer crashes or freezes while accessing Mapped Network Drives on your Windows 11/10 system, this post may help you fix it. This issue prevents users from accessing the data inside the mapped network drives because every time users try to access them, File...
  7. Mapped \\wsl$ as a network drive, can't remove it from Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped \\wsl$ as a network drive, can't remove it from Windows Explorer: I found out you could access files from a WSL distro, and someone suggested to map it as a network drive. I can't change it because there is no option for that, and I can't disconnect from it because it returns the error "This network connection does not exist." How can I...
  8. Windows Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Windows Explorer copy to mapped network drive: I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016). Only one share is involved - so fare. When I try to copy a file from local disk to the mapped drive (J: \\Servername\sharename) in any subdirectory it is strange: Windows Explorer: Error J: is...
  9. Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive: I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016). Only one share is involved - so fare. When I try to copy a file from local disk to the mapped drive (J: \\Servername\sharename) in any subdirectory it is strange: Windows Explorer: Error J: is...
  10. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer: Hello: Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would...