Windows 10: Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure

Discus and support Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My old HD from Sony Vaio WIN 10 Pro 64bit stopped booting cuz I dropped it can't fix. So I put in enclosure but I won't let me view or move my personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kimberlydebenedetti, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure

My old HD from Sony Vaio WIN 10 Pro 64bit stopped booting cuz I dropped it can't fix. So I put in enclosure but I won't let me view or move my personal files. I went to Disk Mgmt took picture Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure 19e4447b-ec77-4a05-9241-a72c99b4d6c5?upload=true.jpg

:)

kimberlydebenedetti, Oct 17, 2018
  2. rivre Win User

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Thanks for the suggestions.

I took a look at their forum, and there's practically no activity there. There was no mention of this issue there.

The thing is those drives all work fine if I connect the enclosures via esata. They come right up and work fine. It's only when I connect the enclosure using USB 3.0 that the drives aren't recognized. Per Icy Dock's suggestion in an email I received, I tried starting the enclosure with just 1 drive inside, and it still wasn't recognized over USB 3.0.

When I set up my new PC a few months ago, I installed all the latest drivers, direct from Gigabyte, my motherboard manufacturer. I'll also mention that I have an old USB 2.0 enclosure by another manufacturer and that is instantly recognized in my motherboard's USB 3.0 ports. So the only enclosures that don't work are the Icy Dock enclosures and only when connected via USB 3.0.

rivre, Oct 17, 2018
  3. rivre Win User
    Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on the new PC none of the drives are detected. I checked their site and they don't list any drivers so I don't think that's the problem. Any idea what I can do? I also have a couple older e-SATA external 4-disc enclosures and those are detected fine through my e-SATA card. So it's an issue with the USB 3.0 enclosures. Also, I have a Mediasonic brand 4-disc USB 2.0 enclosure and that works fine - all drives are detected. So it's just the USB 3.0 enclosures by IcyDock that aren't being recognized.

rivre, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure

Hard Drive Enclosure

Hello. Is it possible to access files from a hard drive from an old laptop onto my new laptop the same you can access files using a flash drive? Not sure how else I can put it, but I have a hard drive from an old laptop that is inside a hard drive enclosure.
    I have the enclosure connected to my laptop via usb, but I am not seeing an option to access that hard drive. How can I access the hard drive that's connected to the usb hard drive enclosure?

Comeback Noob, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure

1. Accessing old unbootable HD in USB enclosure - Similar Threads - Accessing old unbootable

2. Hard drive in Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't appear in This PC and won't initialize in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive in Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't appear in This PC and won't initialize in...: I recently reformatted my computer & the HD would not work afterwards.It also works flawlessly when I just unplug it and plug it into another PC.I have read a few other posts and they seem to end before it gets resolved. I've gone to Asus and downloaded/installed all of the...
  3. Hard drive in Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't appear in This PC and won't initialize in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive in Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't appear in This PC and won't initialize in...: I recently reformatted my computer & the HD would not work afterwards.It also works flawlessly when I just unplug it and plug it into another PC.I have read a few other posts and they seem to end before it gets resolved. I've gone to Asus and downloaded/installed all of the...
  4. Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't initialize. "Unknown. Not Installed." It also said...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't initialize. "Unknown. Not Installed." It also said...: I recently reformatted my computer & the HD would not work afterwards.It also works flawlessly when I just unplug it and plug it into another PC.I have read a few other posts and they seem to end before it gets resolved. I've gone to Asus and downloaded/installed all of the...
  5. unboot surface pro from usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unboot surface pro from usb: my surface pro only works if my USB is connected, I don't have any apps or documents what I can do to go back to normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unboot-surface-pro-from-usb/fa3d2360-8553-485c-8248-133f390294ab
  6. Accessing folders on old HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing folders on old HD: The harddrive form my old PC has some really important files on it that I have to retrieve. I connected it to my new PC and while it shows up in explorer I cannot accessing my folder due to some permissions thing. I thought I'd boot up from the old harddrive but when I do...
  7. USB Enclosure Disconnecting Alot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Enclosure Disconnecting Alot: Hello All Toshiba 2TB, USB enclosure, connected to front available 2.0 port, worked fine for a long while, and then this evening started disconnecting, and wondering why that is happening? Antivirus in use currently Avast Free 19.1.2360 USB devices connected 1 USB 3.0...
  8. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...
  9. Issue Connecting Internal HD in Enclosure via USB

Issue Connecting Internal HD in Enclosure via USB: I am using a Purex hard drive enclosure ( https://www.amazon.com/PUREX-Technol.../dp/B00AI41RCS) with a 3tb Western Digial internal hard drive that I just bought in it and trying to use it to create a system image. It is connected via usb to my pc. The drive inside is...
  10. Accessing Or Seeing A USB Stick Or External HD ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing Or Seeing A USB Stick Or External HD ?: Hello, Last question for the night; I promise. Pretty basic one: How do I see, and access, a USB Stick, or an external HD that I plugged in ? Thanks, Bob 30276