Windows 10: Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow

Discus and support Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For over a week, no idea what could have been the cause, my Windows Explorer has been extremely slow when clicking on a file in a folder managed by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LexvdN, Nov 19, 2020.

1. LexvdN Win User

Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow

For over a week, no idea what could have been the cause, my Windows Explorer has been extremely slow when clicking on a file in a folder managed by OneDrive.

As soon as I go to a folder in Explorer that is maintained by OneDrive, I can click on folders and subfolders in the left column and I see indicated which files are only offline or are also available online or even 'are always kept on this device'. However, as soon as I click on a file or folder with a single mouse click in the right part of the Explorer window, the cursor becomes a spinning blue circle and I cannot do anything for about 60 seconds sixty !!!, even closing the window is not possible . Halfway at about 30 seconds, the rotating circle falters for a moment and then continues for 30 seconds. After 60 sec what I expected happens changing the name, see the pop-up with possible actions, .... If I double click on a folder or file to open then nothing happens for 90 and sometimes 120 seconds with a stutter every 30 seconds and then the folder is opened or the file is opened with the associated application. It does not matter whether this is a file that is only available offline or is always available on this device. As soon as the file has been opened, the Explorer window is again in standby for 90 or 120 seconds before anything can be done with it again meanwhile, a rotating circle as cursor.

Task management does not indicate that there are processes that require a lot of processor capacity, even Explorer is at most 5%. I have already reset OneDrive once and even removed it once and reinstalled it again. Unfortunately, that has not produced any results. I have a very fast Surface Book 2.

Particularities:

1. There is no problem when I open OneDrive online in the browser. I can access and open all folders files, of course with the online delay and online applications such as Word-online. So it is not the files causing the problem.

2. There is also no problem accessing files in folders that are not under OneDrive's supervision. So it has something to do with OndeDrive.

3. I have 2 accounts / users active on my Surface Book 2. Problems are on the first account. What is special is that there is no problem with OneDrive on the second account just like the first, a 'normal' Microsoft account with administrator rights. In fact, if I access the Onedrive folder of the first account from the second account via Local Disk C : - Users then I can access everything very quickly as usual. So the problem is related only to the first account.

I see that Onedrive.exe is located in C: \ Users \ "USERNAME" \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ OneDrive, for both user 1 and user 2, with the same Onedrive.exe size, digital signature, ... . Only the "date created" is different, but that's because I reinstalled Onedrive for user 1 last week.

4. As a test I also installed another file manager FreeCommander, which had no problem accessing and opening files. So the problem is in the communication between Windows Explorer and OneDrive, in the first account only.

5. The delay is exact 30 sec or multiple of that. No matter if it concerns a small or large file, no matter what type of file, ... Isn't that weird???

What have I done already:

- Reset of OneDrive, even reinstall of OneDrive on the first account.

- Started Windows with a clean start all services turned off except the Window services. No joy.

- Checked all settings which could cause the problem: synchronisation of OneDrive, indexing properties for search, using different views in Windows Explorer with/without preview window, details, large icons, ..., ...

A long story, but hopefully with enough information to determine what might be going on.

:)

LexvdN, Nov 19, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 19, 2020
  3. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Easo Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Can we have rant-less version, please?

Thema:

1. Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow - Similar Threads - Accessing OneDrive files

2. OneDrive very slow in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive very slow in Windows Explorer: Problem: navigating my OneDrive folders in Windows Explorer is so slow as to be almost unusable. The problem appears to worsen as the working day progresses. This may be relevant to my working theory see below.Problem Behavior: 1. Double-clicking on any OneDrive file/folder...
  3. OneDrive very slow in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive very slow in Windows Explorer: Problem: navigating my OneDrive folders in Windows Explorer is so slow as to be almost unusable. The problem appears to worsen as the working day progresses. This may be relevant to my working theory see below.Problem Behavior: 1. Double-clicking on any OneDrive file/folder...
  4. OneDrive very slow in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. OneDrive in File Explorer

OneDrive in File Explorer: When I look at OneDrive in File Explorer, the only item in the OneDrive folder is my "Personal Vault" which is empty. When I open Excel, for example, I see a list of files I can open, all of which reside on OneDrive. I can open, edit, and save these files with no problem. But...
  6. OneDrive - how to use File Explorer to access files uploaded to OneDrive website

OneDrive - how to use File Explorer to access files uploaded to OneDrive website: Hi all, I have uploaded a file to my OneDrive website. How can I access that file from File Explorer on Windows 10? Regards, Leigh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-how-to-use-file-explorer-to-access-files/3ff50eb6-b9b7-4c80-8bf7-03b8f7154f39
  7. File access via Windows explorer slow

File access via Windows explorer slow: Any file access via Windows explorer Windows 10 has become painfully slow in the last week or so. This happens if I am just expanding the file tree on the left or if I am clicking on a file. It also affects any open or save actions from within programs. Things to note are:...
  8. OneDrive Desktop Application is Making File Explorer Slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OneDrive Desktop Application is Making File Explorer Slow: Hello everyone, I just recently bought a Surface and so far I'm loving the device. I signed up for the office 365 and installed the OneDrive desktop application. However, when I installed it, file explorer started running very slowly. I'm able to open file explorer, but...
  9. Why is access to files in Explorer so horrifically slow?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is access to files in Explorer so horrifically slow?: This is sadly a topic I've seen complained about many How is it that the world's best (supposedly) OS, windows 10, can't manage to let me open a folder of music files and like click on "album" to list files by album without making me wait literally 5 to 10 minutes for that...
  10. OneDrive and File Explorer

OneDrive and File Explorer: Users with permissions can view folders with OneDrive online. But not on their PC in File Explorer under OneDrive. How do I get them to be able to view that they see online in their File Explorer. I am able to see online and in my File Explorer....