Windows 10: Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

Discus and support Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC and a Laptop on my home network. Before 1803, I could share file using the network and sharing option. After the 1803 update when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LightMusic53151, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

I have a desktop PC and a Laptop on my home network. Before 1803, I could share file using the network and sharing option. After the 1803 update when Homegroup was removed I could no longer access the computers in either direction without the Enter Network Credentials appearing. Recently, following one of the many supposed fixes I have managed access from my Desktop to my Laptop. The reverse direction remains stubbornly inaccessible.

I have tried setting the credentials in the same way as the working direction using the Microsoft account and password, without success. Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

LightMusic53151, Feb 1, 2020
  2. BestSax Win User

File Sharing

Do you have a handy site I can read regarding file sharing across my home network?

I have a laptop for work that is a part of a different workgroup.

I have 2 desktop computers on the same workgroup. They all have different user names and accounts.

One Desktop (of the 2) is running xp pro, and the other xp home.

I want to be able to file share documents without opening them up to Everyone, and that seems to be the only way I can gain access to the files.

I wanted to make it so that you would need to provide a user name and password that matched the computer you were trying to access the files’ user account. At work, that is what happens when I try to access a network drive because my laptop’s user name is different then what they gave me to access the network. A dialog box appears, I put in my network name and I’m in.

I appreciate your help.

BestSax, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to access the files on your desktop from your laptop. However, we would like to know the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message/code?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer?

Ideally, to share files between two computers, they should be connected to the same network.

We would like to know if you are able to access the drive using the IP address. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type
      \\IPAddress
      (ex: 192.168.x.x) and check if you are able to access the drive.

If you get any error, please click on the drop down arrow in the error dialogue box and let us know the error.

Also, check the sharing permissions for the shared folder. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location on the PC through which the files are shared.
    2. Right click on the folder and select Properties.
    3. Click on Sharing tab, and click on
      Advanced Sharing.
    4. Now, select the checkbox for Share this folder.
    5. Click on Permissions, select the check box for
      Allow Full Control.
    6. Click on OK (Twice).

For more information, you may refer the suggestions provided by
    Roohi_Taj
    replied on November 28, 2018 in the thread
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to request access

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 1, 2020
  4. karyeowl Win User

Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

1. Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network - Similar Threads - Accessing shared files

2. Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access files on desktop from laptop: I'm going crazy. I am unable to access the shared folder on my desktop from my laptop... I've been trying... Can I please have some help? Desktop PC: Running Windows 10 Pro on ethernet cableLaptop: Running Windows 10 Home on WiFiLogged in with same MS account on both PC. When...
  3. Can't access Files on network share from Laptop

Can't access Files on network share from Laptop: I have a Desktop and Laptop on my home network, both are using the same Microsoft account and are on the same Network and can both can be seen on the Network on both computers.I can access the Laptop from the Desktop but I can't access the Desktop from the Laptop.Both have...
  4. Can't Access File Sharing or Network

Can't Access File Sharing or Network: Hello,I'm having a difficult time right now getting my file sharing and Network to run.Im trying to use Roon Audio via a ROCK NUC10i3. I'm at this stephttps://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-missing-codecsBut I have nothing showing up in my network drive.I've...
  5. Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet: I have a desktop far away from my router, no wifi adapter. My laptop has wifi connection. Windows used to have an option to share internet from a laptop's wifi to desktop via ethernet. You go to network and sharing center, click your connection, and a window "Wi-Fi Status"...
  6. Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop: Both my laptop and my desktop operate on Windows 10 and I have followed previously successful steps for sharing files between the two computers. Why can I not access my desktop's files from my laptop suddenly, today? Did anybody else have the same problem? Could you please...
  7. Accessing files in Network Sharing PC

Accessing files in Network Sharing PC: After Windows 10 May 2019 update, my access to files on my other network-connected computers has been limited. I can access the files using Quick Access and change to the desired folders but if I open Internet Explorer and try to open a file, the other computer is identified...
  8. Can't access the shared files from my desktop?

Can't access the shared files from my desktop?: Why does my laptop say that I don't have permission to access the shared files from my desktop? It worked last week. It has worked for two decades but every once in a while it decides arbitrarily to pretend that the settings are wrong. But, since no settings are actually...
  9. Network Sharing File Access Problem

Network Sharing File Access Problem: I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC...
  10. couldn't access shared folders via local network

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    couldn't access shared folders via local network: After a clean install of Windows 10 (1709 RS3) Fall Creators Update 16299.15 i couldn't access shared folders via local network. 95870