Windows 10: Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

Discus and support Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by geobrick, Oct 26, 2020.

1. geobrick Win User

Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt:

Accessing shared '\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials [​IMG]

Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect" when I haven't attempted anything yet.

Here's the really interesting thing. I can enter anything into the "user name" field without any password and I'll get access to the shared public folder. I can enter my name, I can enter an 'x', I can enter anything and it will work but it has to be at least one character long. If I hit enter without any character in the username field, it won't work. Once I get access, I won't be prompted again until the next time I boot up the pc accessing the PC named WiRNS.

I have 5 PCs on the network.
    All have local accounts (not using microsoft accounts for login)
    All PCs running Windows 10 Pro (2004 but the problem predates this version).
    All PCs on the same workgroup (they are not on a domain)
    All PCs on the same local network
    No PCs have any stored Windows Credentials in the Credential Manager.
    All PCs properly set up for public folder sharing for anyone on a private network with password protected sharing turned off (so anyone on the network can access the shared folders).
    All PCs see all the other PCs and can access the public folders on the other PCs. Sharing all works except for the annoying prompt to enter (fake) Network Credentials when accessing the shared folder of the PC named WiRNS.
    All the public folder share settings on WiRNS match the other PCs

Anyone out there have any thought on what could be causing this?

:)

geobrick, Oct 26, 2020
  2. Eagle51 Win User

Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local

Thanks, I know about disabling IPv6 and the difference in \\pcname vs \\pcname\share

Sorry, I wasn't clear ... basically I was doing a test and before I saved any credentials ...
    If I accessed the PC by \\pcname or the share by \\pcname\share I got the network path not found vs prompt for credentials, but when using \\pcname.local or \\pcname.local\share I would get prompted for credentials. Once I got prompted for credentials, then the \\pcname or \\pcname\share would start working (i.e. prompt me for credentials vs network path not found). That's why I was wondering what the difference is between \\pcname and \\pcname.local

Eagle51, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Eagle51 Win User
    Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local

Just an observation and I'm not really sure I understand ...

What's the difference between \\PCNAME and \\PCNAME.local ... when accessing a network share ???

I was trying to access a new PC network share by \\PCNAME and kept getting the 0x80070035 error, when it should be prompting me for credentials (see notes). I then accessed it by \\PCNAME.local and it prompted me for credentials which I entered (did not save) and it connected. The share then showed in File Explorer > Network as PCNAME.local ... which it should and I could access it. I then restarted both PC's and the PCNAME.local was NOT showing in File Explorer > Network ... which I expected. I then tried accessing the share by \\PCNAME and it prompted me for credentials, which I entered (saved) and it connected and has been working fine ever since.

Note:
    1. I could see the share and access it by \\IPADDRESS (did not save credentials), so I know that all network share settings were correct (i.e. private,discoverable,share/ntfs permissions,password protected, etc)
    2. IPv6 settings default (i.e. did not disable IPv6 or set prefer IPv4 over IPv6)
    3. SMBv1 NOT Installed
    4. Both PC's running Win10 (1803 - 17134.137)

Eagle51, Oct 26, 2020
  4. cao ping Win User

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

The network topology is as follows:

Accessing shared '\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials 882f6531-8d67-4f75-99e3-ecffd4485507?upload=true.png

1, samba server (the share is public)

2, pc1 (win10)

3, pc2 (win10)

4, pc3 (win10)

While accessing samba server from pc1 and pc2, there is no network credential prompt.

While accessing samba server from pc3, I will be prompted with the following popup box.

Accessing shared '\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials 16c52eb9-c429-4d44-85e4-dc43caaad320?upload=true.png

I can give any valid character in the user name form and login successfully (ofc, it should, cuz it's a public share) .

It is a little strange that why pc1, pc2 do not prompt, but pc3 prompt.

I captured network traffic to check what happened there by wireshark, the capture result shows that both pc1 and pc2 would try logon on to samba by windows account after the message of NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE, but pc3 would not try to logon on samba server, so
    win10 RST the connection and prompt the credential box.

I checked windows credentials on pc1, pc2, pc3, there is no credential for the samba server.

If a add a credential for samba on pc3 by windows credential manager, the prompt would not appear(on pc1, pc2, I do not need to do this step)

Does any one know what the problem there ? I don't want to see the credential prompt, I don't want to add any credential to trick this problem either .

Any suggestion is appreciate , Thanks.

cao ping, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials - Similar Threads - Accessing shared 'PCNameUsersPublic'

2. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  3. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  4. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials: Ended up having to do a fresh install of windows recently because my RAID controller gave up the ghost. Installed directly with Win10 2004. Since then I have been having difficulty connecting to network shares from work. In the past, all I would do is connect to work VPN,...
  6. Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba: The network topology is as follows: [ATTACH] 1, samba server the share is public 2, pc1 win10 3, pc2 win10 4, pc3 win10 While accessing samba server from pc1 and pc2, there is no network credential prompt. While accessing samba server from pc3, I will be...
  7. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  8. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...
  9. Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials: I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control. [img] I've selected "Turn off password protected sharing" in the Advance Sharing Center. [img] When I try...
  10. Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Network Share - Prompt for credentials: Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content...