Windows 10: Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV

Discus and support Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I did a complete reinstal of W10 as I needed a larger drive C. After installation I was unable to access any of the files/folders containing... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LaurenceAnderson, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV

Hi

I did a complete reinstal of W10 as I needed a larger drive C.

After installation I was unable to access any of the files/folders containing videos (Universal Media Server used). I assumed the problem lay with access permissions. Where possible I have set permissions for several levels - system/auth user/everyone (some options greyed out). I can now see the folders/files in my TV but, when trying to play a video, the TV player just seems tobread all the files in the folder without actually playing them. In addition, the icons displayed againat each file shows MPEG & ?..not the usual icons and the length shown for each file is 9.59.00 .....10 hours!!

Am I correct in my assumptions and, more importantly, how do I recover!!??

Regards,

LTA

:)

LaurenceAnderson, Nov 28, 2018
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Are you able to play the files on your computer?

What is the make and model of your TV and what renderer is UMS using for it?

Do you see any error message on your TV screen?

In the main panel of the universal Media server, do you see the device name (TV) as active device?

Try playing a video file with a different extension and see if your TV can play it.

Please get back to us with the required information, so that we can help suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV

Hi

I did a complete reinstal of W10 as I needed a larger drive C.

After installation I was unable to access any of the files/folders containing videos (Universal Media Server used). I assumed the problem lay with access permissions. Where possible I have set permissions for several levels - system/auth user/everyone (some
    options greyed out). I can now see the folders/files in my TV but, when trying to play a video, the TV player just seems tobread all the files in the folder without actually playing them. In addition, the icons displayed againat each file shows MPEG & ?..not
    the usual icons and the length shown for each file is 9.59.00 .....10 hours!!

Am I correct in my assumptions and, more importantly, how do I recover!!??

Regards,

LTA

LaurenceAnderson, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV

Project video from desktop to Smart TV

I have a new Inspirion 3470. I purchased this as I wanted to be able to see videos/live TV programmes which I can get on my desktop on my Smart TV. I was informed by Dell that I need to connect my desktop monitor by VGA to my computer monitor and then
    my desktop to my Smart TV by HDMI cable. I purchased new cables to do this that stated they were capable of doing this. However when I start the desktop without the HDMI cable in all works OK but as soon as I pug in the HDMI cable my desktop monitor goes blank
    and states no VGA signal is being received. The original documentation states that you can send the desktop signals to a Smart TV. Any suggestions please thanks - Timbo

TimGilesrhyd, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV

1. Accessing video files held on desktop via smart TV - Similar Threads - Accessing video files

2. Accessing Windows 11 Desktop from Smart TV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing Windows 11 Desktop from Smart TV: I have a new Sony OLED TV model XR65A95L.Selecting Inputs on the TV remote and then Media Server on the Sony menu results in a list of apparently visible resources on my local network.My Windows desktop PC shows up but when I select it, the response is "Please try again...
  3. Accessing Windows 11 Desktop from Smart TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing Windows 11 Desktop from Smart TV: I have a new Sony OLED TV model XR65A95L.Selecting Inputs on the TV remote and then Media Server on the Sony menu results in a list of apparently visible resources on my local network.My Windows desktop PC shows up but when I select it, the response is "Please try again...
  4. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart TV: The teacher is using a laptop and SMART TV. She can see her screen on the TV and the icons she requires in the taskbar but when she clicks on them they do not open on the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-tv/022df5a5-d0f2-4995-8398-f4542a313951
  5. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Customization
    Smart TV: The teacher is using a laptop and SMART TV. She can see her screen on the TV and the icons she requires in the taskbar but when she clicks on them they do not open on the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-tv/022df5a5-d0f2-4995-8398-f4542a313951
  6. smart tv

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart tv: Hi I am a bit worried! I saw this by accident when looking around. I live in a 1 up 1 down flat. Because downstairs did not use the internet much and did not have internet, I let him use mine when he needed to. Which I didnt mind, hes over 50 and not a gamer etc on...
  7. Display a desktop PC on a smart TV via HDMI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display a desktop PC on a smart TV via HDMI: Hi! I was wondering if someone could help me with the following issue: When my PC is plugged into my smart TV via HDMI, the TV does not display the PC. However, if before turning on the PC, I plug the PC into a monitor via Displayport, and keep the HDMI between the PC and...
  8. connecting to smart tv via wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connecting to smart tv via wifi: My Smart TV Hisense has been added as a device to my HP laptop however I am unable to connect to it. The TV is connected to the Internet so the TV is not the problem. The problem appears to lie with the computer and its inability to connect to the TV. Can anybody help with...
  9. Cannot display Desktop on smart TV

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot display Desktop on smart TV: I have been trying for a long time to get my Windows 10 Desktop displayed on my smart TV, which has a setting for receiving wireless signals. EDGE (Chromium) reporting 'source not supported' is only one of several troubling notifications. A likely issue is that I am not now...
  10. The connection to smart TV via Miracast drops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The connection to smart TV via Miracast drops: I cannot connect my Surface pro 4 to Samsung smart TV via Miracast because the connection is dropped. I tried to update software on the TV to the latest available version but it is still dropping the connection....