Windows 10: Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update

Discus and support Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there can anybody suggest what needs to be done to access windows files FROM Nas servers (running SAMBA). The latest version of windows seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Dec 15, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update

Hi there
    can anybody suggest what needs to be done to access windows files FROM Nas servers (running SAMBA). The latest version of windows seems to have broken connections -- now just get message timeout on server when trying to access Windows shares FROM a NAS server.

No problem with windows accessing the NAS server shares (i.e FROM windows TO Nas problem is NAS TO WINDOWS). Computer name is seen in the network map and ping is OK.

people have suggested it's because Windows has depreciated the way it handles SMB connected files (or CIF).

Is there ANYWAY to make this working again.

The crazy thing is that ANDROID devices seem to have no problem -- for example I have some music files on Windows which I access from a Samsung S8 phone via a program called SambaPlayer (VLC for android also works) and play via blue tooth to a small Bose mini 10 speaker.

I need the server to be able to handle Windows files as I run the backups from the server . Even if I run the backups locally on Windows via macrium I'd like the server to automatically upload these files to the server.
    Before the last update Windows had no problems -- seems every update or so breaks windows networking.

I don't use logon domains, profiles etc etc --simple HOME network with a few Windows laptops etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 15, 2017
  2. SMPatten Win User

Windows Credentialing

I work in an Architectural office, where we have a Windows domain-based network and 2 branch offices in addition to our main office.

We have a stand-alone NAS installed in one of our branch offices. The NAS is joined to the domain and looks to the domain controller in our main office for the domain users and what permissions to apply for access.

We have a mostly Windows 7 Pro computers, with 2 Windows 8.1 computers and now few "upgraded" Windows 10 computers. The domain controllers are Windows Server 2008 R2, and we have a few other Windows Server 2012 servers.

We're finding a user logged in to a Windows 7 machine, or a Windows Server 2008 server, can access the NAS device as he should be able to. If the same user logs in from a Win 8.1, Win 10 or WS 2012 computer, he will not be able to access the file structure
    on the NAS at all- a Windows Security dialog box pops up and prompts for the username and password, and will fail after two attempts with a "Network Error; Windows cannot access
    L: \\NASname, Error code 0x80004005" dialog box.

The user can successfully ping the NAS, just not access anything on it. All other network functions appear normal.

Please keep in mind the same user with the same credentials can then log in to a Win 7 machine and access the NAS normally.

Does anyone know what's going on, and how I can resolve this?

SMPatten, Dec 15, 2017
  3. SQL Server 2012 Express can't read database files located on NAS after upgrade to windows 10

Hi,

I have SQL Server 2012 Express on a pc with windows 8.1. The data base files are located on a NAS. It works fine. After upgrade to windows 10, SQL Server can no longer access the files on the NAS. Access fails with 'operating system 58 error'. Downgraded
    to windows 8.1 and SQL Server works again.

How do I fix the problem with windows 10?

ole petterdaleng, Dec 15, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Have you tried enabling this? The text says "allow insecure ie non Windows" connections is on by default but I have seen claims the default is now off ie text is out of date

Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update [​IMG]

cereberus, Dec 15, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    You would not unless you are able to map those shares some way. On the Synology NAS DSM, the only way would be through a share sync. Anything you do on your Windows machine, would be synced to the NAS as a Cloud storage device. I do that with my Google Drive on my NAS.

bro67, Dec 16, 2017
  6. Railtech Win User
    You might want to check out Syncthing. Open Source, install on you Windows machines and sync with your server. There are server side versions as well. Works well on my LAN!

Oh, and I agree with bro67, this is the best solution to MS breaking networking every time you turn around!

Railtech, Dec 16, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    I think you mis-understood the problem -- Windows TO NAS is fine it's NAS TO Windows that's the problem.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 17, 2017
  8. Railtech Win User

No, I did not misunderstand the problem. Syncthing works both ways. You install it on both sides and it works via authentication keys between devices over network connections. No SMB involved. There is a version for Synology too.

Railtech, Dec 17, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    That is a Windows problem, not a NAS issue. I would use a third party program like Syncthing or depending on the NAS, use the manufacturer's program. I have yet to have Windows screw up any syncing with the Synology Cloud tool, same as being able to open up a shared or Network share from my NAS.

What you do with your system is far beyond what would happen in a Enterprise, let alone on a Home Network or SoHo.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update - Similar Threads - Accessing NAS servers

2. Latest Security Update Windows 10 Home Blocking Quicken Access to its server to update...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Latest Security Update Windows 10 Home Blocking Quicken Access to its server to update...: Windows10 Home v20H2, Build 19042.964.I would like to uninstall the last two security updates to see if that fixes the problem. How do I do this?...
  3. Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC: Hi, I have a Synology DS218J on SMB. I have been able to access it via Windows Explorer with \\hostname just fine, but since a few days ago it no longer works. I get the following error message when I try to access a mapped drive within the NAS [ATTACH] I get the following...
  4. Access to NAS from laptop

Access to NAS from laptop: Hello, I recently bought a NAS (Helios4) running on openmediavault. I installed the OS in the NAS, I then followed all the procedures to install openmediavault but I do not manage to see the NAS among my networks. I can enter the NAS from my pc by typing its IP and make...
  5. Windows latest update causes SAMBA (NAS) change ????

Windows latest update causes SAMBA (NAS) change ????: Hi there Haven't changed any settings in Windows 10 or in SAMBA files but after latest W10 update I get the NAS trying to act as a local master browser ????? -- I haven't got anything in SAMBA to specify this -- samba hasn't changed so it can only be windows / networking....
  6. Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update: I recently bought a laptop, and now it cannot access my Synology DSM213 in File Explorer. The NAS showed up on the network on my laptop, but not in File Explorer, and when trying to open it, it would have me access it through a web browser. I want it treated like a...
  7. Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server

Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server: Hi folks If you connect / attach / share a NAS drive to your Windows machine you should be able to get decent file transfer speeds across wifi connections (assume you have 5GHZ wifi available). I'm regularly getting speeds of around 110 MB/s (440 Mb/s) on a WIFI LAN...
  8. How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?: I have need to get access to 2 shares on a NAS server using different credentials - one set of credentials for occasional access to a secured share; another for continuous access to a public share. I just found out that Windows does not allow this without some game-playing....
  9. Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer: I have 2 NAS drives connected to my network, one is a Buffalo NAS and the other is a LaCie NAS. When I try to access the NAS on my Windows 10 Pro PCs, I get a message stating Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can access the management console for...
  10. NAS server not visible

NAS server not visible: We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and the NAS server is not visible on the network. On the old, now water-damaged laptop (Win 7), the NAS server had a desktop...