Windows 10: Accessing windows shares

Discus and support Accessing windows shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey there. I have some Windows shares on a server. I can access them from inside the network, but I want to be able to access them from outside the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mackenzie Donaldson, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Accessing windows shares

Hey there. I have some Windows shares on a server. I can access them from inside the network, but I want to be able to access them from outside the network.

I thought I could just port forward it but that's "insecure". I have also tried using the vpn server in Windows 10, yet no luck with that, and apparently that's "insecure", too.

How can I do this. I need a stable way.

Thanks.

:)

Mackenzie Donaldson, Apr 10, 2019
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Apr 10, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Accessing windows shares

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

Accessing windows shares

1. Accessing windows shares - Similar Threads - Accessing shares

2. File Sharing Issues on Windows 11 "___ is not accessible"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Sharing Issues on Windows 11 "___ is not accessible": I found out about windows file sharing and I thought it was a cool feature so I set up a personal file storage on an old computer. It worked great most of the time but after a windows reset and upgrade 10-->11 it keeps giving me this error message in the picture below. It...
  3. File Sharing Issues on Windows 11 "___ is not accessible"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Sharing Issues on Windows 11 "___ is not accessible": I found out about windows file sharing and I thought it was a cool feature so I set up a personal file storage on an old computer. It worked great most of the time but after a windows reset and upgrade 10-->11 it keeps giving me this error message in the picture below. It...
  4. I'm having trouble accessing a shared folder on file explorer from a new device, but can...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm having trouble accessing a shared folder on file explorer from a new device, but can...: "I am trying to support someone with a data migration from one device to another device. On the old laptop there is a shared folder on file explorer that we can access. It allows us to view the files and edit them etc. However, when we use the new laptop to access the same...
  5. I'm having trouble accessing a shared folder on file explorer from a new device, but can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm having trouble accessing a shared folder on file explorer from a new device, but can...: "I am trying to support someone with a data migration from one device to another device. On the old laptop there is a shared folder on file explorer that we can access. It allows us to view the files and edit them etc. However, when we use the new laptop to access the same...
  6. I'm having trouble accessing a shared folder on file explorer from a new device, but can...

7. I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function?: I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-no-longer-access-shared-files-on-onedrive/ea2f0b0c-7037-457f-a9b2-f2e6bf63de94
  8. I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function?: I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-no-longer-access-shared-files-on-onedrive/ea2f0b0c-7037-457f-a9b2-f2e6bf63de94
  9. I can no longer access shared files on OneDrive. Can you help me restore that function?

10. net share cdrive=c:\ gives Access is denied

net share cdrive=c:\ gives Access is denied: I have a brand new PC with Windows 11 preinstalled. All Windows updates are current as of today.When I open a command prompt and type this I get:C:\net share cdrive=c:\I get "System error 5 has occurred.""Access is denied."Why am I getting that error and what can I do to gain...