Windows 10: Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?

Discus and support Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 SSDs and want to have 2 autonomous Windows 10 machines. First one already has Windows 10 and the second one was supposed to get a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lucdedpet, May 19, 2019.

1. lucdedpet Win User

Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?

I have 2 SSDs and want to have 2 autonomous Windows 10 machines. First one already has Windows 10 and the second one was supposed to get a clean install with another Windows 10 OS via USB. Both SSDs were connected to the PC during the clean install. After I clean installed, the second SSD was apparently part of the first SSDs dual boot menu. Now the second SSD is not an autonomous OS but part of a dual boot, is there a way to split them or will I have to format the second drive and clean install again without the first drive connected inside the PC? (First drive is not an option for formatting)

:)

lucdedpet, May 19, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, May 19, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, May 19, 2019
  4. Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?

Dual Boot Over 2 Hard drives Advice Please.

it will cos the 1TB is already formatted with nothing on it just waiting to be filled *Smile Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert? :)
    it doesn't matter how much I search I cant find anything that tells me how to dual boot from 2 different hard drives. all I get is how to partition a hard drive and dual boot which I already know how to.

fireblade77, May 19, 2019
Thema:

Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?

1. Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert? - Similar Threads - Accidental dual boot

2. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  3. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  4. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  5. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  6. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  7. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  8. 2 hard drives lost boot

in Windows 10 Support
    2 hard drives lost boot: Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my...
  9. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  10. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...