Windows 10: Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

Discus and support Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nadric Dumte, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-my-users-folder-with-desktop/f6a746d5-f26c-4e81-a750-dd05c70c985e

:)

Nadric Dumte, Nov 4, 2022

2. User Folder name shows incorrectly in Explorer after an accidental merge with Desktop folder. How to correct?

While moving the location of my user profile folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc) to a second drive to save space on my SSD boot drive, I accidentally merged the Pictures and Desktop folders together. This was repaired by using the "Restore
    Default" option under the Location tab in Properties. However, I then accidentally merged the Desktop folder with my User Profile folder when moving it back to the SSD boot drive (I thought Desktop could stay on that drive afterall). The situation at present
    is the following:

My Desktop folder has been restored to the location

C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop

All is functioning as normal, and the folder has been re-identified as a system folder (a lot of forum searching to make that happen).

However, the issue that is still present is that my User Profile folder is incorrectly shown in File Exporer as

C:\Users\Desktop

even though in the registry and file structure (using cmd prompt etc) it is correctly listed as

C:\Users\USERNAME

for this folder and all sub-folders.

I have been unable to rectify this issue and would appreciate any help. The computer is fully functional as is, with the only glitch seeming to show in File Explorer. If any clarification is necessary, please ask. Thanks-

WindowsPictureTaker, Nov 4, 2022
  3. Accidentally merged desktop folder with user

You can untangle this without a restore. I think what you're seeing is that you accidentally moved the Desktop folder to your User folder. Now what was your Username folder is showing as 'Desktop' with the Desktop icon. You can clear the renaming & icon
    by deleting the Desktop.ini file in that folder. The file will have it's Hidden & System attributes set, so you have to set Explorer's view options to Show hidden files as well as clear the checkbox for Hide protected operating system files.

Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder f4876568-8581-4a35-95aa-280180f294c5?upload=true.png

Then you can create a Desktop folder wherever you like & edit the path for Desktop in the User Shell Folder key mentioned in an earlier post.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Nov 4, 2022
  4. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

Desktop and user folder merging

Hi,

There are different ways for you to recover the previous folder settings on your computer. One of these is by following the steps below to organize and relocate your desktop or user folder.

• Press Windows key + E to launch File Explorer.
    • Right-click on the special folder that you want to restore (Desktop).
    • Then select Properties.
    • Navigate to the Location tab.
    • Click Restore Default.
    • Then click Apply to save the changes.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Nov 4, 2022
Thema:

Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

1. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder - Similar Threads - Accidental merge desktop

2. I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder: I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-desktop-folder-and-documents/9862aa67-ad5c-424f-8f09-e2bafd10fb7e
  3. I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder: I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-desktop-folder-and-documents/9862aa67-ad5c-424f-8f09-e2bafd10fb7e
  4. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  5. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  6. Accidentally Merged User Profile Folder With Video Folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Accidentally Merged User Profile Folder With Video Folder: Basically what its said on the tin. I merged that folder with the Video folder when I was moving said video folder from D: back to C: To be specific it was the named folder. The "Owner" folder. I tried moving everything from that folder into a new one labeled "ST" after my...
  7. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder...
  8. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has all of my user folders in it. Its address is still...
  9. I accidentally merged my Users folder with Desktop Folder

I accidentally merged my Users folder with Desktop Folder: Hello! I recently got a new computer and I was moving most of my Users files from my SSD to my HDD but I wanted my Desktop file to be on my SSD. So I proceeded to moving it back to the SSD Users file, but I forgot to create a subfolder for my desktop, so I ended up merging my...
  10. Accidentally merged User and Documents folders

Accidentally merged User and Documents folders: Hello, I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Documents folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Documents. Seen below: [ATTACH] I have looked through a few different...