Windows 10: Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder

Discus and support Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All, I wasn't keen on the truncated name given to my user folder by windows so was looking into renaming it which resulted in me accidentally... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by VeeFource, Mar 20, 2021.

1. VeeFource Win User

Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder

Hi All,

I wasn't keen on the truncated name given to my user folder by windows so was looking into renaming it which resulted in me accidentally applying an unchecked 'read only' to the folder. Windows then started altering a load of file permissions which I realised was bad so cancelled the operation.

Can you please advise whether the file permissions were reversed and if not, is my computer now more vulnerable given a lot of the admin user's files are no longer read only? It's a personal computer with only me using it.

If it is more vulnerable then can anyone advise on how to restore my computer so it's as if I'd just bought it from the shop again with a nice clean hdd?

Thanks

:)

VeeFource, Mar 20, 2021

2. Need to uncheck "read only" check box in my documents folder

I installed Civilization VI and was unable to save games. I e-mailed 2K support and they came back with the c:\users\xxxxxx\mydocuments folder needs to have the "read only" function unchecked. They indicated you need a profile with administrator level
    UAC to do this. My account contains the administrator privilege level. However, every time i uncheck the read only feature within the properties box for the my documents folder, when i apply and save and exit and then go back into the folder the folder is
    re-checked "read-only"

The e-mail from 2K support indicates that should this occur contact Microsoft Support, so here i am. I would really like to be able to save my Civilization VI games, so your help is much appreciated on how i get this folder to have "read only" unchecked

Jeffrey Levin, Mar 20, 2021
  3. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Callender Win User

I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder

Suggest: Restore default junctions.Make a backup first:

Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder [​IMG]

Then restore defaults using Win10DefaultJunctions.ntj file.

Junction Box download | SourceForge.net

Callender, Mar 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder - Similar Threads - Accidentally applied unchecked

2. Read Only Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read Only Folders: My folders have suddenly become marked as Read Only and I can't change it. In the Security tab all the permissions that have been allowed are checked, but grayed out. I haven't changed anything in regards to my system other than installing Windows updates. I'm running Windows...
  3. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  4. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  5. Folder attributes revert to read-only after I uncheck that attribute.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Folder attributes revert to read-only after I uncheck that attribute.: So recently I started to receive this error from a library that I use for testing our application. It says I do not have the correct permissions to create or copy files in the specified directory, which is ofcourse clarified when I right click that folder it shows...
  6. Read only folders

Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  7. read only + only applies for files in the folder

read only + only applies for files in the folder: Dears I am not able to remove the permission of read only from any folder from any folder on my windows 10 PC. i tried attrib command also but did not work is this a bug with the latest updates [ATTACH]...
  8. I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder.

I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder.: Hello, I need to uncheck the read-only attribute of a specific folder. At the first glance, it works when I hit apply. The problem is, when I close the properties and check it again, the read-only attribute is checked again. It keeps reverting. I have already done lots of...
  9. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  10. read only folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    read only folders: Hi, Community, I have never done this before as there used to be a phone number that would give me access to an agent who would help. Cut backs, perhaps? Oh well. So, my question is: How do I get rid of the "read only" restrictions on photo folders, please? I have tried...