Windows 10: Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?

Discus and support Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was halfway through finishing making a bootable USB using the 1909 Media Creation Tool, when I closed the lid of my laptop. Now, the flash drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vxxed, Dec 17, 2019.

1. /u/vxxed Win User

Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?

I was halfway through finishing making a bootable USB using the 1909 Media Creation Tool, when I closed the lid of my laptop.

Now, the flash drive isn't seen by:

• Media Creation Tool
    • CMD as Administrator -> Diskpart
    • Disk Management Tool
    • Rufus
    • Device manager
    • A simple shut down and reboot
    • UEFI-boot command prompt

I haven't tried any pre-boot alternatives (like an ubuntu live boot) to identify it, are there any options that I can use without having to have a second flash drive?

submitted by /u/vxxed
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vxxed, Dec 17, 2019
  2. Rose Ter Win User

media creation tool does not see flash drive

Hi Keitaro,

In order for us to assist you regarding the Media Creation Tool, that doesn’t recognize your flash drives. Kindly refer to the response of
    Keitaro on this
    link
    . This will provide you troubleshooting steps on how to update your computers system using the Media Creation Tool.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?

Media Creation Tool question

Thanks Cerberus but Ive no problem downloading the Iso with the media creation tool. I don't think its the ISO that is the problem' I think the problem is when the Media Creation Tool is creating the bootable USB flash drive. So I think I can use the Media Creation Tool for that part...and as you say try something like Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive

I still have this question though "The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool) option that the Media Creation Tool should be save to the PC and run from there.
    On Microsoft site the instructions are to Download the Tool and select Run (no saving to the PC). Is there a reason for saving it to the PC first as suggested on Tenforums?"

I was curious to see if others had encountered the issue I had with the Media Creation Tool. Ive never had a problem using it before

sportsfan148, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?

1. Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help? - Similar Threads - Accidentally bricked flash

2. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  3. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  4. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Media Creation Tool Failed with unknown error and bricked USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Failed with unknown error and bricked USB drive: I have been attempting to create a bootable usb drive for my new pc. I tried using rufus and next the media creation tool, which failed and seems to have damaged, or at least made unusable, the USB drive. My laptop which runs win10 listed the usb in the device manager, but...
  6. Media Creation Tool Failed with unknown error and bricked USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Failed with unknown error and bricked USB drive: I have been attempting to create a bootable usb drive for my new pc. I tried using rufus and next the media creation tool, which failed and seems to have damaged, or at least made unusable, the USB drive. My laptop which runs win10 listed the usb in the device manager, but...
  7. Media Creation Tool Failed with unknown error and bricked USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Media Creation Tool Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media Creation Tool Help: So I'm trying to create a bootable USB drive, but when I try to make one using the MCT, it wont even let me select a USB drive to create it on. Instead it will automatically tell me to free space on my C: Drive to install it on there instead. Is anyone able to help me out...
  9. Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media: So i tried using Windows Media Creation Tool to create a new Windows Installer to reinstall Windows on my Machine, problem is on the first time i tried it failed and the USB Drive is not detected anywhere. Not in Rufus, Not in UltraISO, and Diskpart says there is No Media. Is...
  10. Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive: I’ve been having serious issues with my pc that started this morning. My pc was being extremely slow after I closed Steam because it was lagging so I decided to restart my pc. When I did on startup it said it was fixing files and I let it go through with it, but when it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows media crearor bricked usb