Windows 10: accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb

Discus and support accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Accidentally converted my 1TB external hard drive to a ESD-USB I built a new custom PC and I needed to download Windows 10 for it so I used my Toshiba... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChristineDonovan, Aug 9, 2019.

1. accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb

Accidentally converted my 1TB external hard drive to a ESD-USB

I built a new custom PC and I needed to download Windows 10 for it so I used my Toshiba 1TB external hard drive to install the ISO of Windows 10 Home onto it and then install it onto my PC. It all worked and I now have Windows 10 Home on my new PC but my 1TB external hard drive is now a 31.9GB maximum storage external hard drive. How can I revert my hard drive back to having 1TB maximum storage

Is there any way to find all the files I had on it?

:)

ChristineDonovan, Aug 9, 2019

2. Restore previous data before external harddrive was made ESD-USB bootable drive

Hi Ashish,

ESD-USB is only the name of windows installation file and it is on its own disk partition.
    Your data and files are still on the disk but windows can´t see them. When you open the
    Disk Manager you should see empty space behind your ESD-USB. We have found a thread with the same issue as yours, we suggest that you follow the steps given by

Jimzamjimmyy
    on the second page:
    Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB".
    His response was created on
    December 31, 2016 and helped 17 people.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Aug 9, 2019
  3. External hard drive changed to esd-usb

While performing window media creation I have converted my external hard drive as bootable usb device (esd-usb). I couldn't recover my files in the hard drive . Need help

Vigneshkumar03, Aug 9, 2019
  4. grahambm Win User

accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb

Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

Just went to use my backup external USB drive. 300Gb. Says it is 32GB and called ESD-USB.

Can't for the life of me recall how that got onto this drive.

The drive had Macrium backups that I had made prior to installing OS on two computers. Maybe the contents of that drive should have been written to a USB thumb drive for recovery purposes.

Should I just delete the partition, format and start afresh? I want to backup each of our systems again.

grahambm, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb

1. accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb - Similar Threads - accidentally changed external

2. USB external drive detection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB external drive detection: My Lenovo Yoga does not detect an external cd/dvd drive plugged into the usb port. How do I make it search for the device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-external-drive-detection/4dd6bbfd-99da-47cd-8a89-a2a521d6ac12
  3. External USB disk drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External USB disk drives: I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice nothing happens. One of these, my primary data drive, works but doesn't consistently show up in various configuration...
  4. How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB?

How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB?: I used my 500 GB external hard drive to externally install Windows on a computer. I didn't know that would reformat all my files on the hard drive and make them disappear. Using EaseUS Data Recovery, I got my files back and they are safety saved. However, my external...
  5. Change permissions on external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change permissions on external drive: How do I change Permissions on an external hard drive from someone else's laptop? I've connected a friend's hard drive to my laptop via a SATA/USB cable, but can't get access to Users directories....
  6. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  7. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...
  8. my HHD turns to esd-usb

my HHD turns to esd-usb: i downloaded the windows creation tool and accidentally used my HHD or Drive D how can i turn it back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-hhd-turns-to-esd-usb/89f07b95-4ba2-49e8-995e-1f6448c07872
  9. Can't format external USB drive.

Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...
  10. Unable to access external USB Drives!

Unable to access external USB Drives!: Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. I have looked in disk management and...