Windows 10: Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That...

Discus and support Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just recently got a 10TB HDD and dumped a bunch of large files on there. Trying to clear up from space from my C Drive, I decided to move my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dustin4A, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Dustin4A Win User

Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That...

I just recently got a 10TB HDD and dumped a bunch of large files on there. Trying to clear up from space from my C Drive, I decided to move my "Documents", "Pictures", and "Videos" folders to the new TB HDD. Issue is when changing the location of the "Documents" folder I selected just the G drive, thinking it would create a folder automatically. It did not. And now my entire 10TB HDD is the new Documents folder.

I tried defaulting to the old "Documents" location, but it won't work. I get the error:

"Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "G:\System Volume Information". Access is denied."

I found another thread that suggested changing the security settings of the HDD but that did not work at all.

:)

Dustin4A, Nov 22, 2020
  2. 2pacaveli Win User

Accidentally merged user pictures folder with (GAccidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That... :) drive.

Thank you for your reply. The problem is when I relocated the user Pictures folder to G drive I never created a folder for it inside G drive, so it's now the entire G drive and the pictures folder and videos folder got merged with the drive itself. Check the last screenshot from my IMGUR link and compare that to step 3 from the option one tutorial you linked. When I try to click revert to default location I'm afraid it will move my entire G drive and its contents to the C:/User/example/Pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    I found someone with the same problem as mine and you told them to do the same thing and it worked for them. I should trust your expertise and try it then.

2pacaveli, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That...

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That...

1. Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That... - Similar Threads - Accidentally Changed Location

2. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  3. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  4. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  5. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  6. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. can't change location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    can't change location of Documents folder: chased down a bunch of posts for the error message but not found an answer yet I added a new registry entry that was a post suggestion to fix [img] I'm suspicious it has some thing to do with Documents being in OneDrive? The folder, mydocs, on my G drive is a copy of the...
  8. i accidentally changed the location of my screenshots directly to the D drive and not a folder

i accidentally changed the location of my screenshots directly to the D drive and not a folder: [ATTACH]i tried to move the location of my screenshots folder from C drive to D but i accidentally forgot to choose a folder on where to save it and so it saves it directly to my D drive and i have to manually move it everytime...
  9. Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...

Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...: Hello. I reinstalled Windows and want to redirect my Documents and Pictures folder to be in their own folder on my HDD instead of on my C drive in Properties >Location since my C drive is a smaller SSD. It worked fine for my music, videos, and downloads. However, documents...
  10. Accidentally merged user pictures folder with (G:) drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally merged user pictures folder with (G:) drive.: I originally wanted to move the location of the Pictures folder and the Videos folder that comes default with my OS drive (C:) to my larger (G:) drive so I would have more space on the C drive. The problem was I didn't create a new folder in my G drive when it asked for the...