Windows 10: "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders

Discus and support "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I might have made the most stupid mistake I've ever made. I was moving many files among different folders and every time I moved a file, a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ian Massacre, Aug 6, 2021.

1. "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders

I might have made the most stupid mistake I've ever made. I was moving many files among different folders and every time I moved a file, a message appeared saying that I had to provide administrator permission to move the file. There are no other accounts on my PC so I'm the only user and admin. At the beginning I tried to ignore it, but then it became so annoying I searched in google for a way to revert this. Among the many "solutions" I found, there was one that said I had to "claim" ownership of the folder, I tried many times to no avail. So the stupid part in me thought it was a good idea

:)

Ian Massacre, Aug 6, 2021
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Aug 6, 2021
  3. how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 6, 2021
  4. "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders

Folder and File default permissions

Hi Hilton,

When you changed folder permissions, all of its contents will also be affected. If you want to change permission on certain sub-folders, it is recommended to separate it up to one level and change only specific file or folder permissions which are
    applicable to you.

To allow opening or modifying files, follow the steps below:

• Right-click a folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click Edit…
    • Tick Allow or Deny, to manage permissions for your folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

"Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders 7e509f86-c947-4d23-9d23-817128c849f5?upload=true.png

Let us know if this resolve your concerns.

Johann Eva, Aug 6, 2021
Thema:

"Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders

1. "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders - Similar Threads - Accidentally changed permission

2. All Windows Folders and Files accidentally hidden.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Windows Folders and Files accidentally hidden.: Hey,I accidentally set the hidden attribute on my files in C:\Users and then the files on my entire computer have disappeared.. I restored my files back after going to C:\Users and unticking the hidden attribute. Most of my files have been recovered but some of the apps that...
  3. All Windows Folders and Files accidentally hidden.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Windows Folders and Files accidentally hidden.: Hey,I accidentally set the hidden attribute on my files in C:\Users and then the files on my entire computer have disappeared.. I restored my files back after going to C:\Users and unticking the hidden attribute. Most of my files have been recovered but some of the apps that...
  4. All Windows Folders and Files accidentally hidden.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I accidentally deleted all permissions in Windows Defender folder...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I accidentally deleted all permissions in Windows Defender folder...: Hi there, I've encountered a problem which I created myself... I wanted to clear protection history in Windows Security, so I followed some tutorials to delete folder named "Service" in this directory -> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History. I couldn't...
  6. Permissions to access C: Folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Permissions to access C: Folder: I deleted all access rights to my C: Folder. Bad mistake. How do I get back to default access rights. Access to C: folder is denied. Going to Properties>Security requires read access to reach Edit, which I do not have. If I select Advanced it is unable to display current...
  7. Changing folder permissions

Changing folder permissions: Hi, I have run into a problem when trying to run a neural network on jupyter notebook. This network ran on a mac previously but I have moved it to windows because I would like to use a GPU to allow for more efficiency. The problem involves it accessing the folders containing...
  8. All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing

All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing: Is there any way to see the file permissions I have edited? or all the file permissions on disc drive? I'm trying to use File sharing to transfer some files to another computer via LAN cable, so I have given about 15-20 folders Read/Write access from any user, now I'm done...
  9. Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData: I am unable to change permissions on the Folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDA Corporation to allow Modify and/or Full control in order to let NVIDIA Control Panel settings to be saved! This is in Windows 10 Professional. I have run File Explorer as administrator! I require some...
  10. Lost all permissions and control of files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost all permissions and control of files/folders: Hi all, earlier I plugged in the hard drive from my wife's PC into my own PC (both windows 10) so I could try to recover some files from it (as it's currently not booting into windows). As soon as I booted my PC back up I could see the second hard drive was there but...