Windows 10: accidentally combined 2 user folders video & documents

Discus and support accidentally combined 2 user folders video & documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey guys, I tried to reorganice my computer and made a mess. I wanted to switch my user folders pictures, videos, musik & documents from my SSD C: to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by manu_k, Jan 3, 2021.

1. manu_k Win User

accidentally combined 2 user folders video & documents

Hey guys,

I tried to reorganice my computer and made a mess. I wanted to switch my user folders pictures, videos, musik & documents from my SSD C: to my HDD D:. But now, the document and the video folder are the same. If I cange the path of one of those it´s the same for the other one, and it´s the same if I cange the name of one of those.

accidentally combined 2 user folders video & documents 0fd9dbdb-47a7-4109-8305-2d288be1769c?upload=true.png Maybe it´s connected to the fact that I made a mistake and used the whole D: as my document folder. But for picture and music I could "repair" everything. Therefore I don´t know what to do.

Thanks for ur help.

:)

manu_k, Jan 3, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Adalo_22 Win User
    Accidentally merged User and Documents folders

Hello,

I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Documents folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Documents. Seen below:

accidentally combined 2 user folders video & documents 915ae32b-3849-4b55-b9ff-d1b6369f0eed?upload=true.png

I have looked through a few different forums on how to fix my mistake, but I am not 100% sure on how to fix it. I believe that I need to make a change in the registry because the data field for "Personal" is %USERPROFILE% and not %USERPROFILE%\Documents.

Can anyone help me with some steps that I can follow so I can resolve my mistake? I don't want to mess up the registry and hurt my machine. Thanks in advance!

Adalo_22, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Merge Document Folders

Bob,

To remove any need for cross-referencing to that other thread I gave you a link to, here are the paras I was suggesting that you consider.

1 You can create a folder structure of your own on the HDD and just start using it. No grand schemes are required. No OS alterations are required.
    - It is common to have the following folders but they can be named & arranged however you want: Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures.
    - You will probably also want to create a Desktop folder [see #4 below].
    - You can also divide Documents into subfolders for your main lines of effort and each of these can be further subdivided.
    - Just by way of example & nothing more, my own Documents folder is divided into: Business, Personal, Common, Suppliers, InfoSys

2 You can augment that by opening each one of your applications and saving a test file to your Documents folder then opening a test file from that folder. Doing this makes most applications look there first in the future and that saves messing about browsing around the folders.

3 You can augment that by checking the Options / Preferences within each of you applications to see if a default folder can be nominated there as well.

4 You can augment that by 'relocating' the Desktop user folder [that has been created by Windows] to your HDD.
    - This is by default in C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Desktop but the system can be told to use the folder you have created on your HDD instead.
    - The TenForumsTutorial listed above can walk you through the whole procedure.

5 You can augment that by 'relocating' other user folders [that have been created by Windows] such as the Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures to your HDD.
    - These are by default in C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents etc but the system can be told to use the folders you have created on your HDD instead.
    - The TenForumsTutorials listed above can walk you through the whole procedure for each one.
    - Not everybody bothers with this step and some think that it conveys no benefit. I have done each of them.

Denis

Try3, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

1. accidentally combined 2 user folders video & documents - Similar Threads - accidentally combined user

2. I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder: I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder was trying to move it to a different drive and now my user folder is called "Videos" and even has the icon... I cant change the location again cause I get the "cant redirect a parent into a child" error and all that. Pls...
  3. I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder: I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder was trying to move it to a different drive and now my user folder is called "Videos" and even has the icon... I cant change the location again cause I get the "cant redirect a parent into a child" error and all that. Pls...
  4. HELP! Was moving around and accidentally merged user folder and documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HELP! Was moving around and accidentally merged user folder and documents folder: So I was moving around some folders since I recently installed a storage drive and from some errors I was trying to correct with program file paths accidentally merged my user folder and documents folder. I have managed to restore the documents folder however my user folder...
  5. HELP! Was moving around and accidentally merged user folder and documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Was moving around and accidentally merged user folder and documents folder: So I was moving around some folders since I recently installed a storage drive and from some errors I was trying to correct with program file paths accidentally merged my user folder and documents folder. I have managed to restore the documents folder however my user folder...
  6. HELP! Was moving around and accidentally merged user folder and documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Help I accidentally merged my documents folder and my users folder!

Help I accidentally merged my documents folder and my users folder!: while O was moving things around my documents and users folder got merged[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-i-accidentally-merged-my-documents-folder-and/3b99c879-e8a7-458e-ba00-134cf0a363e1
  8. Accidentally Merged User Profile Folder With Video Folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Accidentally Merged User Profile Folder With Video Folder: Basically what its said on the tin. I merged that folder with the Video folder when I was moving said video folder from D: back to C: To be specific it was the named folder. The "Owner" folder. I tried moving everything from that folder into a new one labeled "ST" after my...
  9. Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder: The Downloads folder is showing my D drive and all the data - as is the Documents folder I was trying to transfer all my data from c drive to d drive I need to demerge the two and reset the folders I have seem a previous post where Greg Carmack gave a thread to a Tenforum...
  10. Accidentally merged User and Documents folders

Accidentally merged User and Documents folders: Hello, I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Documents folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Documents. Seen below: [ATTACH] I have looked through a few different...