Windows 10: Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

Discus and support Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Long story short, while trying to figure out why my PC didnt want to upgrade to Windows 11 despite it being very well capable of it, So in the process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Fox Racker, May 22, 2024.

1. Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

Long story short, while trying to figure out why my PC didnt want to upgrade to Windows 11 despite it being very well capable of it, So in the process of that, i was led into the Task Scheduler, where i was told to run the "Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser". This i did, though it seemed to not do anything, so i checked the Triggers to see if my custom activated Triggers of it were any reason why it wasnt working. In the process of this, instead of deleting just the triggers, i deleted the whole Task. What do i do now?

:)

Fox Racker, May 22, 2024

2. Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser re-enables itself after explicitly being disabled (and even deleted) many times

I followed the instructions here to permanently disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.

But after a couple of days the task Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser would re-enable itself and Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry would start running out of nowhere every time.

I have even gone to the point of deleting the task from the Task Scheduler, to no avail. I am not sure of what is causing this behaviour.

Is there any way to tell the Operating System to not re-enable Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser task after I have explicitly disabled the task in the Task Scheduler as per the link's instructions?

Pablo Messina, May 22, 2024
  3. Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser will not start manually

Hello,

I hope I am posting in the correct forum. Let me know if I should post in a different windows7 forum or the windows10 forum.

I have Windows 7 PRO (64bit) and cannot find a way to make an update to the Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser.

What I have done:

Downloaded and installed KB3035583. I have the windows (flag /) icon in my task tray and successfully ran the Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser. A report was generated on 5/26/2016 saying my PC (a desktop) was compatible and there was one
    software program that needed to be removed.

The software program is an “ older” copy of Acronis Home backup. I updated the Acronis program to a new Windows 10 version, and verified the new version works and makes backups.

I want to re-run the Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser to verify my PC is now fully 100% compatible.
    I have been unable to find a way to manually run Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser.

When I open the Windows 10 task tray icon I appear to be stuck at the completion of the last run (report dated 5/26/2016) with no way to request and update.

I did a Google search on how to manually start Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser.

Two pages listed the following elevated command prompt to manually start Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser.

Open an elevated command prompt window, type the following command, and hit Enter:

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

I sent the first command and waited about an hour and a half and then checked for an updated report in the
    Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser. There appeared to no change, text of report is the same; Acronis software still flagged as a problem and the report was still dated 5/26/2016.

I sent the second, identical command. It has now been over 4 hours and a check of the Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser report shows no change.
    Text of report is the same; Acronis software still flagged as a problem and the report was still dated 5/26/2016.

What am I doing wrong? I need to have a current dated report showing the compatibility is 100%, OR a list of non-compatible items
    so I can make changes or remove. Is there a way to manually start the Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser and generate a current dated report?

I looked at the Task Scheduler and as far as I could tell the task scheduler , under Setup, gwx is supposed to run at log on.
    It may be running, but not generating an updated report. I am not familiar with the Task Scheduler, so my interpretation is probably not correct.

Suggestions and tips greatly appreciated,

krazykat

krazykat9999, May 22, 2024
  4. Danchar4 Win User

Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

Not Compatible Driver

Fix

• Check Windows Update for an updated version of KB2952664 (Windows 7 SP1) or KB2976978 (Windows 8.x)
    • After installing the Windows Update, re-run the Compatibility Appraiser. This will happen automatically within a day or it can be run manually from an admin command prompt:
      • schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

Once started, it may take 10 minutes or so for the appraiser to complete. Once complete, re-open the Get Windows 10 app and it will have the updated compatibility information.

Dan Charlton

Windows DirectX Graphics team

edit 6/4/2015 - clarified steps to re-run the compatibility appraiser

Danchar4, May 22, 2024
Thema:

Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

1. Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser - Similar Threads - Accidentally deleted Microsoft

2. Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser: Long story short, while trying to figure out why my PC didnt want to upgrade to Windows 11 despite it being very well capable of it, So in the process of that, i was led into the Task Scheduler, where i was told to run the "Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser". This i did,...
  3. Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accidentally deleted Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser: Long story short, while trying to figure out why my PC didnt want to upgrade to Windows 11 despite it being very well capable of it, So in the process of that, i was led into the Task Scheduler, where i was told to run the "Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser". This i did,...
  4. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry: I followed this instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-disabling-windows-compatibility/6bf71583-81b0-4a74-ae2e-8fd73305aad1 Microsoft Compatibility telemetry still triggers itselfI want it to permanently delete it from the computer....
  5. Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently delete Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry: I followed this instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-disabling-windows-compatibility/6bf71583-81b0-4a74-ae2e-8fd73305aad1 Microsoft Compatibility telemetry still triggers itselfI want it to permanently delete it from the computer....
  6. Deleted Microsoft Display Driver accidentally

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleted Microsoft Display Driver accidentally: Hi there! i need help! I saw that my graphics driver had an issue so i decided to uninstall it then i couldn’t install a new one so i thought the default driver that Windows provide after deleting the existing driver is the issue so i deleted it then my Display Drivers...
  7. I accidentally deleted Microsoft office

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I accidentally deleted Microsoft office: I didnt know Microsoft word was a part of Microsoft office. And i didnt use Microsoft office (atlease i thought that) but now i cant download it anymore. It says i have to pay. What should i do and how do i re-install it? And do i get the documents back then? submitted by...
  8. Unable to disable Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to disable Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser in Task Scheduler: Hi, I disabled Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser in Task Scheduler but the task keeps being re-enabled. I then looked at the trigger section and that was not disabled. So I looked at the One time trigger properties. I then clicked on the Triggers tab. Then I clicked on...
  9. Unable to permanently disable Windows defender scan and Compatibility Appraiser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to permanently disable Windows defender scan and Compatibility Appraiser: Hi, I cannot understand why users don't have control over some aspects of Windows 10. I disabled Compatibility Appraiser in task scheduler but it re-enables itself every day and starts the task. I've even disabled it in Group Policy with no success. This also applies...
  10. Unable to permanently disable Windows defender scan and Compatibility Appraiser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to permanently disable Windows defender scan and Compatibility Appraiser: Hi, I cannot understand why users don't have control over some aspects of Windows 10. I disabled Compatibility Appraiser in task scheduler but it re-enables itself every day and starts the task. I've even disabled it in Group Policy with no success. This also applies...