Windows 10: Accidentally deleted MSR and recovery partitions. How do I make new ones?

Discus and support Accidentally deleted MSR and recovery partitions. How do I make new ones? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Because I'm a dummy, I deleted partitions on my main drive instead of a same sized other one. The computer can still boot but can't shot down, sleep or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Inspector343, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Accidentally deleted MSR and recovery partitions. How do I make new ones?

Because I'm a dummy, I deleted partitions on my main drive instead of a same sized other one. The computer can still boot but can't shot down, sleep or hibernate, it can only restart (so now I have to long press the power button to shut down). Also I can't start the "refresh your PC" procedure and lots of recovery options are now unavailable, an external Windows installer can't do anything with it either. Can I get those partitions back like nothing happened? I really don't want to reinstall Windows rn... or is there any way to insert an image of my current C drive into a new installation of Windows?

submitted by /u/Inspector343
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Inspector343, Feb 6, 2021

2. Oops I deleted the MSR partition, Will something go wrong?

So as the title suggests, I accidentally deleted the 128 mb MSR partition on my Windows 10 laptop,

I was trying to fix a partitioning problem that I had and saw the 128mb unlabelled partition on my partition software.

I didn't think that it could be the MSR partition and then I deleted it, I haven't noticed any problems as of yet but I am worried that as I have a uefi system I think it could break my laptop and I will lose all my stuff,

Please help my laptop is still new and I don't want to have to get a new one.

All replies appreciated

Thankyou

Prismatic Plasma, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Accidentally deleted partition on SP4. Recovery?

The 128 MB partition you deleted is the MSR. It can be easily replaced by using Diskpart and using the:

create par msr

command, since you have no other unallocated space on the drive the partition will be put in that vacated space.

The problem may be related to the Bitlocker which may have used the partition for its encryption, but normally is it not that essential..

Saltgrass, Feb 6, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Accidentally deleted MSR and recovery partitions. How do I make new ones?

How to install Win10 when the Recovery & EFI partitions were deleted?

There are a couple of issues with the above sequence. First, @drpeppercan stated that they already deleted the EFI system and recovery partition. So why is there a select part 1 and delete part override in the command sequence? What is being deleted? The Microsoft System Reserved partition? Hopefully there is an MSR partition there because if partition 1 is the Windows OS partition, then you just deleted Windows. And if there is an MSR partition there, why delete it?

Second, without a size specified when creating the EFI System Partition, it is just going to fill all available free space at the beginning of the drive. If there was a recovery partition, EFI System Partition and MSR partition, that free space is likely to be 600 MB is size, so you just created a 600 MB EFI System Partition that only needs to be 100 MB in size.

Without seeing the layout of the disk with: select disk 0, detail disk, list part you can't really suggest an accurate list of commands to rebuild the EFI system partition. It's only guessing.

NavyLCDR, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Accidentally deleted MSR and recovery partitions. How do I make new ones?

1. Accidentally deleted MSR and recovery partitions. How do I make new ones? - Similar Threads - Accidentally deleted MSR

2. What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?: Rather than reinstalling I want to learn about Windows utitlities and the Command Line. I'm assuming that between the 3 partitions that I removed, the recovery partition is the least necessary. I haven't tried to restore it. Here's what I've done so far to recreate the efi...
  3. What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?: Rather than reinstalling I want to learn about Windows utitlities and the Command Line. I'm assuming that between the 3 partitions that I removed, the recovery partition is the least necessary. I haven't tried to restore it. Here's what I've done so far to recreate the efi...
  4. How do I delete Trojan:Win64/Spyboy!MSR?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete Trojan:Win64/Spyboy!MSR?: I was notified 4 days ago July 22, 2023 about this and I checked Win. security and it appears to be a severe threat. I tried to scan but it says no malicious files detected then I tried to remove it but it didn't work. But I remembered ZAM.exe, it started appearing the same...
  5. How do I delete Trojan:Win64/Spyboy!MSR?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete Trojan:Win64/Spyboy!MSR?: I was notified 4 days ago July 22, 2023 about this and I checked Win. security and it appears to be a severe threat. I tried to scan but it says no malicious files detected then I tried to remove it but it didn't work. But I remembered ZAM.exe, it started appearing the same...
  6. How do I delete Trojan:Win64/Spyboy!MSR?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. How do I make my recovery partition bigger?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make my recovery partition bigger?: Just how I don't know that's it. I just need it because it is apparently too small to do a system image backup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-my-recovery-partition-bigger/1ab18553-be5e-4490-ace9-e903952c74e9
  8. How can i create a new recovery partition (accidentally deleted) for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i create a new recovery partition (accidentally deleted) for Windows 10?: I accidentally deleted the recovery partition (500mb) for Windows 10. My PC is custom built so it wasn't a OEM recovery partition in most laptops. Now, i'm freak out about the consequences in the long run. The weird thing is i was able to delete and format it in Window's Disk...
  9. Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?: The title says it all. In addition, I have 1903 but this partition is on my hard disk from ages. it is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, and it is exactly 128mb. Can I safely delete it? 134772
  10. How do I delete recovery partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I delete recovery partition: How do I delete recovery partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-delete-recovery-partition/2d5149e9-f57b-4d4d-8dab-ce804f20a3d4

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover msr partition

2. msr partition deleted