Windows 10: Accidentally denied access to my own D:\

Discus and support Accidentally denied access to my own D:\ in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Hope you are safe. I did something really silly today, in my attempt to create a new user and restrict their access to D:\ I locked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StevenPatterson, May 3, 2020.

1. Accidentally denied access to my own D:\

Hi everyone,

Hope you are safe.

I did something really silly today, in my attempt to create a new user and restrict their access to D:\ I locked myself completely out of it.

These are the steps I took:

1. Right clicked D:\ the Properties

2. Security tab, clicked on Users and then Edit

3. Ticked Deny in all the boxes and then Apply

Now even though I am an administrative user, I can no longer access D:\

The only option available to me now under the Security tab is "For special permissions or advanced settings, click Advanced."

When I do, I see three tabs Permissions, Auditing and Effective Access and clicking Continue on any of them just returns:

"You do not have permission/privileges to view this object's security/auditing properties, even as an administrative user.

To try taking ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click Change above."

Any help would be highly appreciated :

Thank you for your time.

:)

StevenPatterson, May 3, 2020
  2. EsMj Win User

Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

EsMj, May 3, 2020
  3. Accidentally denied access to authenticated users: Windows 10

Hello,

As I was trying to limit the access to Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :), the partition containing all of my data, I accidentally denied access to authenticated users.

I thought I could make it so that only my account, which is the administrator account, could access Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :).

So I kept the "Allow" access status for Administrator and System and I denied access to Users and to Authenticated Users thinking the latter wouldn't apply to my account as an administrator.

I realized my mistake as the change was being made and the objects in the container were being enumerated, so I pressed cancel.

The result is that when I try to open Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :), a window opens that says access denied. When I click on the folders contained in Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :), some open and others don't ("Access denied").

I tried to take ownership of Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :) [Properties-Security-Advanced-Owner-Change: "Administrator" + check "Replace owner of subcontainers and objects"- Apply].

I am then offered to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting full control. I click
    Yes and get the following error message:

"An error occurred while applying security information to D:

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied"

I am thinking that the error is due to the fact that I interrupted the operation while it was denying access to authenticated users and the objects were still being enumerated, which resulted in different permissions attributed to the folders contained in
    Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :).

If that is the case, would I be able to change ownership of (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :) to Administrator, which supposedly still has full access, if I moved
    to the OS (CAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :) partition the folders I still have access to, before repeating the operation described above?

I am asking before trying because the (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :) folders I still have access to are particularly heavy (all of my music, for instance) and I don't want to move them if I can help it.

If it turns out this is a good solution to regain access to the (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :) folders I am currently locked out of,
    what would it mean for me to have access to all folders as an Administrator but not as an authenticated user?

And finally, is there a way I can restore the access to Data (DAccidentally denied access to my own D:\ :) for authenticated users?

Thank you for taking the time to read about my situation. I tried to be as clear and as precise as possible. Hopefully you will help me find a clever way to get out of the mess I made without my having to go out and buy anything because I live in Argentina
    and I am not sure what I can find here.

huitzilipitl, May 3, 2020
  4. Accidentally denied access to my own D:\

Access denied - windows 10

Hi Dominic,

Since you tried all steps provided, we have a thread on our other forum TechNet, that has a similar issue. Click

here
    and see if it helps. If not, we suggest that you post your concern directly on TechNet.

Regards.

Radney Dri, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Accidentally denied access to my own D:\

1. Accidentally denied access to my own D:\ - Similar Threads - Accidentally denied access

2. I've denied myself access to my own archive file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I've denied myself access to my own archive file.: Hello, in efforts to prevent people from accessing my files on my hardrive I archived these files and set all permissions to deny. Apparently I also denied the admin account permission as well and here now is my problem. I cannot view the .rar contents since the main issue...
  3. I've denied myself access to my own archive file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've denied myself access to my own archive file.: Hello, in efforts to prevent people from accessing my files on my hardrive I archived these files and set all permissions to deny. Apparently I also denied the admin account permission as well and here now is my problem. I cannot view the .rar contents since the main issue...
  4. " d:\ is not accessible. Access is denied"

" d:\ is not accessible. Access is denied": After installing Windows10 from windows 7 Pro I lost access to my external drives. All USB drives and CDRom drive. The error that I get is " d:\ is not accessible. Access is denied" Can somebody help me with this?...
  5. Denied myself access to D:

Denied myself access to D:: Hello, well trying to create a user profile for my child I went in and denied access to the D: to not only him, but now have also locked myself out. I have followed all the help I can find including the command prompt which at the end tells me "D:* access denied, and also...
  6. D:\ not accessible Access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D:\ not accessible Access denied: After "upgrading" to windows 10, laptop wouldn't play DVDs. Paid for and downloaded driver and it worked for maybe 3 movies. Now it says "D:\is not accessible" and "access denied" What's going on?...
  7. Local disk D access denied

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Local disk D access denied: How to fix this ? every i make new folder [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-d-access-denied/87950c78-4e50-43c3-bb09-faf6ea96b147
  8. Randomly getting Access Denied from my own folders.

Randomly getting Access Denied from my own folders.: I'm created a folder a few minutes ago, and I had to delete it now. I am the administrator of my pc and have full control permissions. When I went to delete it, it gave me an error stating that I do not have permission. This is happening constantly on my pc where I create...
  9. Drive D is not opening, not accessible, access denied

Drive D is not opening, not accessible, access denied: I`m not able to open my drive D:\ . When I try, I get message, not accessible, access denied. This error came as a result of removing all sharing privileges to the drive. immediately I finished the process of removing sharing of any file on the drive, I was not able to access...
  10. WindowsApps on D:\ Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps on D:\ Drive - Access Denied: Finally in version 10565 you are able to move/install Apps to other location than C:\Program Files\WindowsApps To change permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps to be able to see what was inside the folder was easy however to do the same on D:\WindowsApps seems to be...