Windows 10: Accidentally Erased/Merged system C:\User\<Name> folder and 3D Objects\ data folder - How...

Discus and support Accidentally Erased/Merged system C:\User\ folder and 3D Objects\ data folder - How... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; TLDR: Was moving the 3D Objects folder from SSD C:\Users\<Name> to HDD D:\Users\<Name>. Sent it back from the HDD to the SDD to fix something and now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cloaknpoke80, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Accidentally Erased/Merged system C:\User\ folder and 3D Objects\ data folder - How...

TLDR: Was moving the 3D Objects folder from SSD C:\Users\<Name> to HDD D:\Users\<Name>. Sent it back from the HDD to the SDD to fix something and now it shows as C:\Users\3D Objects. How do I get my Administrator username back?

Longer Version:

After doing some reading here, I decided to using an outlined method:

Rt click on C:\Users\<Name>\Documents > select location tab > move > browse to get to D:\ > and clicked apply

So I did a test run with the User system folder 3D Objects empty folder, as above.

It successfully ended up on Data D:\Users\3D Objects\ instead of D:\Users\<Name>\3D Objects.

I decided to revert back and think a bit more about how to separate Users’ Personal Files, and the Problems of having multiple My Documents folders, so I moved it back into the original folder ie C: \ User <Name>, using the same outlined method for moving it back .

BAD THING HAPPENED

On moving it back, it merged with the file C:\User\<Name>

And renamed the merged file C:\User\3D Objects\

So my user file is now C:\User\3D Objects, which I don't know how this will affect my Administrator.

QUESTION:

How do I separate out the folders so that \3D Objects\ sits inside C:\User\<Name>, and can I bring back my username?

Thanks.

:)

Cloaknpoke80, Feb 14, 2020
  2. AndrewR_M Win User

Accidentally Merged system C:\User\<Name> folder and system \3D Objects\ data folder - How do I separate them?

Had a big problem restoring backup files from a crashed PC – which had only a C:\ Drive file location - onto my new PC which has separate
    OS C:\ drive (SSD) and Data D:\Drive (HDD). The backups obviously failed due to limited capacity on my 225GB SSD. I realized that I needed to alter my file structure.

I decided to move all my data file locations to D:\ and point my software at that Drive.

Starting with my personal User data Folders from

OS C:\User\<Name> to
    Data Drive D:\

After doing some reading here, I decided to using an outlined method:

Rt click on C:\Users\<Name>\Documents
    > select location tab >
    move > browse to get to D:\ >
    and clicked apply

So I did a test run with the User system folder
    3D Objects (empty folder), as above.

It successfully ended up on Data D:\3D Objects\

After messing about with privileges on the folder for a while, I decided to revert back and think a bit more about how to separate Users’ Personal Files, and the Problems of having multiple My Documents folders, so I moved it back
    into the original folder ie C: \ User <Name>, using the same outlined method for moving it back .

BAD THING HAPPENED

On moving it back, it merged with the file C:\User\<Name>

And renamed the merged file C:\User\3D Objects\

So my user file is now C:\User\3D Objects, which is going to be collossally inconvenient for my backup and restore processes, and lots of legacy external stuff pointing to my
    C:\User\<Name>\ folder.

QUESTION:

How do I separate out the folders so that \3D Objects\ sits inside C:\User\<Name>, and can I bring back my username?

Thanks.

Andrew

AndrewR_M, Feb 14, 2020
  3. AndrewR_M Win User
    Accidentally Merged system C:\User\<Name> folder and system \3D Objects\ data folder - How do I separate them?

So in summary, I have a Folder D:\Andrew\3D Objects which doesn't display the blue cube System Folder symbol (the "Magic Icon").

I still have no folder called C:\User\Andrew

I still have a folder C:\User\3D Objects instead, which displays the blue cube System Folder symbol.

Presumably I now have to do something to win.ini or something with CMD?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

AndrewR_M, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Accidentally Erased/Merged system C:\User\ folder and 3D Objects\ data folder - How...

In File Explorer, create the folder 'D:\Andrew\3D Objects'

In the User Shell Folders registry key, double-click {31C0DD25-9439-4F12-BF41-7FF4EDA38722}. Change its data from:

%USERPROFILE%

to

'D:\Andrew\3D Objects'

That should fix the shortcut in This PC.

Your user profile folder was probably not actually renamed, but rather has acquired '3D Objects' as it's display name via a hidden, system file named 'desktop.ini'

How familiar are you with using a Command Prompt window?

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Accidentally Erased/Merged system C:\User\ folder and 3D Objects\ data folder - How...

1. Accidentally Erased/Merged system C:\User\ folder and 3D Objects\ data folder - How... - Similar Threads - Accidentally Erased Merged

2. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  3. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  4. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DaveM121 please help! Merged 3D Objects and user profile folder while moving 3D Objects to...

DaveM121 please help! Merged 3D Objects and user profile folder while moving 3D Objects to...: Hi everyone, hopefully hi DaveM121, I have a similiar problem you have already solved for user MaxT2593: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/help-merged-3d-objects-and-user-profile-while/186a026c-49a0-4b58-a49a-07ff09025cec I also merged...
  6. I ACCIDENTALLY MERGED MY 3D OBJECTS FOLDER TO H DRIVE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I ACCIDENTALLY MERGED MY 3D OBJECTS FOLDER TO H DRIVE: I accidentally merged my 3D Objects folder to H Drive when I was transferring my 3d objects folder location in the properties and now the PC is recognizing the folder as only my H Drive. Whenever I click on the 3d objects folder its exactly the same as if i clicked on my H...
  7. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder...
  8. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has all of my user folders in it. Its address is still...
  9. Accidentally merged '3D Objects' folder with my D: drive

Accidentally merged '3D Objects' folder with my D: drive: Hi, I recently got a new laptop that has a small SSD & a large HDD. To preserve space, I was transferring my default folders (Documents, Music, Video, Downloads, etc) from the C: (SSD) to D: (HDD). Most went fine, but on the last one I managed to tell Windows to merge my 3D...
  10. Accidentally merged User and Documents folders

Accidentally merged User and Documents folders: Hello, I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Documents folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Documents. Seen below: [ATTACH] I have looked through a few different...